Working out... at work?

Options
Hey y'all!

I'm sure a large number of us work desk jobs and are fairly sedentary during the day. I do make it a point to get in my activity once I leave work for the day (usually chasing my daughter around or walking on the treadmill). However, because 8 hours of my day are spent at a desk, I'm tired from NOT moving around. I'll go for walks on my breaks, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I need some awesome desk exercises! What do you guys do to get moving?

xoxo

Replies

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    When I had a desk job years ago, I used to keep a small set of weights in the bathroom at work. It was a small office, so it was just me and this other lady that used the women's restroom. I would do arm exercises during each bathroom break. lol. sounds crazy, but it worked. :smile:
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    how about the little bike peddle bit that sits on the floor?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I walk on my morning/lunch/afternoon breaks, and when I have to use the restroom, I use the one in the basement and take the stairs (5 flights).
  • bvttercvp
    bvttercvp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    how about the little bike peddle bit that sits on the floor?

I'm going to have to look into policy and see if they would allow me to bring one, I've definitely thought about that before!
  • bvttercvp
    Options
    I'm totally missing my previous job where I would be on my feet walking around, carrying things, and getting in and out of a car 40+ times per day! I dropped 70 pounds in 8 months.

Now I'm at a new (way better paying) job at a desk all day, and I love it, I'm just missing that activity!

I try to do squats and things like that at my desk, but it's hard to do without feeling silly. ;)
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Our ladies room is just big enough that I can walk across it in 10 steps, I walk back and forth for 2-3 minutes every time I use the restroom, as long as no one else is using it. I also like to do squats during restroom breaks.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I got my employer to order me a Varidesk. I also asked my MIL for an under-desk-stepper-thing for Christmas...so I use both of those, sometimes at the same time.

If you feel awkward doing squats at/near your desk, make it a point to do 20 during each bathroom break or something. Little things add up.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    bvttercvp wrote: »
    I need some awesome desk exercises! What do you guys do to get moving?

Total desk jockey here. I do the same and do 15 minute 1 mile walks for my two breaks and I am lucky enough to have an hour lunch so I hit the track or gym. But there are a lot of days I can't get to either so I make it a point to stand up once and hour and do a set of body weight squats, or just do a quick walk down and up a flight of stairs, etc. Sitting in my chair I often to a set of leg extensions too.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Do you have any flexibility in your hours? For years I used to come in a little early and leave a little late so that I could take a long lunch. Time enough to get to the gym and shower afterwards. It broke up the day nicely and solved my problem of being too tired before work and often after work to exercise.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I usually take a walk at lunch if possible. Or you could find a parking spot further away from work. I am able to ride my bike to work in the summer.
  • cahicks37
    cahicks37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since I work on the top floor at my Firm, I will take 9 flights of stairs to my floor, twice a day during the week. And I get a great workout because the stairs are pretty steep and I burn close to 200 calories climbing them every day. If you work at a building with multiple floors, I would suggest walking the stairs during your lunch break.
  • bvttercvp
    Options
    cahicks37 wrote: »
    Since I work on the top floor at my Firm, I will take 9 flights of stairs to my floor, twice a day during the week. And I get a great workout because the stairs are pretty steep and I burn close to 200 calories climbing them every day. If you work at a building with multiple floors, I would suggest walking the stairs during your lunch break.

I wish I was lucky enough to have stairs here! I work in one laaaarge single-story building!

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Is there any way for you to workout before leaving for work? I absolutely will not do one thing after work - too exhausted. And during the day.... my whole focus when I get to work is to get out of work LOL so I don't want to waste any of my time with exercise during the work day. :)
  • agirlcalledrinn
    agirlcalledrinn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Desk Yoga. I used Yoga with Adriene at first, she has a couple youtube videos for yoga at work or sitting down, and in small spaces, but now I know enough to free style. I also keep a cheap mat in my office so I can take 5-10 minute breaks I crazy days, buttttt I have an office to myself. I'll toss in a few sets of jumping jacks if I'm super cranky.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I walk around the building. There is also a restroom up two flights of stairs, so I run up and down those instead of using the restroom on my floor.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I started to do a round of squats and lunges each time I use the washroom (and I drink a lot of water so that happens frequently!)
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Use a standing desk if possible; the slight increase in heart rate burns more kcal vs. sitting. Over 8 or more hours, this can be a significant difference when done daily.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I walk a bit on the way to work, and then I climb 2 flights of stairs when I arrive at work.

I get up in the middle of the morning and climb 13 flights of stairs.

I get up at lunch and go for a long walk, then climb 2 flights of stairs.

I get up mid-afternoon and climb 13 flights of stairs.

And I walk partway home.

Then I also exercise in the evening.

Sometimes I'll add an extra 5-10 flights of stairs.

I also walk the long way around to the toilet and I try to stand at meetings.