Eggplant low carb?

Options
angief1313
angief1313 Posts: 11 Member
Ive never cooked eggplant before I need recipes im on a low carb diet too.... Any ideas??

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Eggplant boats, ratatouille, baba ganoush
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    baba ganoush for sure or eggplant rollitini
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, rollatini is so good!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I cubed up an eggplant, tonight, and roasted it with other vegetables. Tasty. d7db600rpflv.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How low is your low carb? Can it handle half a tablespoon or so of flour and about 1/4 cup of milk per serving (6 grams of carbs combined)?

If you can handle 6 extra carbs, moussaka is one of my most favorite dishes in the world, especially with ground lamb. If you make the version that does not include potatoes it's fairly low carb. A little bit calorific but every single bite is worth it. If you somehow find a low carb bechamel sauce the carb count would be even lower, I don't know if it exists though and if tastes right if it does.

A typical serving (not lightened up, it's one of those dishes that aren't worth making lower in calories) has about 450-550 calories and 8-15 net carbs.

epplant-moussaka-227.jpg

• WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Use thin slices of eggplant to replace lasagne noodles and make lasagne in your usual way. Some recipes suggest roasting the slices of eggplant first but I am too lazy to do that. Tomato products really complement the flavor of eggplant.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://servingupfortcollins.com/eggplant-parmesan-rollatini-transport-yourself-to-old-world-italy/

So tasty!

How low is your low carb? Can it handle half a tablespoon or so of flour and about 1/4 cup of milk per serving (6 grams of carbs combined)?

If you can handle 6 extra carbs, moussaka is one of my most favorite dishes in the world, especially with ground lamb. If you make the version that does not include potatoes it's fairly low carb. A little bit calorific but every single bite is worth it. If you somehow find a low carb bechamel sauce the carb count would be even lower, I don't know if it exists though and if tastes right if it does.

A typical serving (not lightened up, it's one of those dishes that aren't worth making lower in calories) has about 450-550 calories and 8-15 net carbs.

epplant-moussaka-227.jpg

I'm still looking for a lightened up moussaka recipe. I did it once but without the bechamel but then it's really closer to lasagna.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Roast slices of eggplant and use it as a base for pizza toppings. Spinach, sautéed onions or mushrooms, a dab of tomato sauce and a thin layer of parmesean or mozzarella. Put it back in the oven til it's heated thru.
  • crawfishgirl333
    crawfishgirl333 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make eggplant dressing probably not healthy but could substitute the rice to brown rice. Eggplant grind meat bell pepper onions and the rice.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've made a cross between mousakka and lasagne using thinly sliced eggplant instead of noodles. I never put bechemel in either dish, so it ends up quite low carb.
  • mbrentonmb
    mbrentonmb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could try eggplant paremesan without the bread crumbs :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Use thin slices of eggplant to replace lasagne noodles and make lasagne in your usual way. Some recipes suggest roasting the slices of eggplant first but I am too lazy to do that. Tomato products really complement the flavor of eggplant.
    I've done that. I need to perfect it but it is great. I'm an eggplant fiend!

• Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Roasted eggplant with pesto and parmesan cheese. I Just slice the eggplant, brush the top side with pesto sauce, roast it under the broiler, when that side is toasty, flip them over and brush with pesto sauce to roast the second side then when it is almost finished drizzle a little parmesan cheese over it. Quick and easy.
  • opitipiti
    opitipiti Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's a low carb Turkish recipe that's called stuffed eggplants (karniyarik). Cut 3 medium eggplants lengthwise, brush both sides with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast (or broil). You need to roast them to the point where they get pretty soft. For the stuffing: saute 1 medium onion, 2-3 garlic cloves, half pound of ground beef, 4-5 mini peppers and 2 tbsp tomato paste with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Finally, slit eggplants into two without cutting through them, fill them with the stuffing, pour 2 cups of hot water on top and finish them in the oven at 400F.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I slice it thin, salt it let it sit for a bit dip in egg white and almond flour crisp in pan with a bit of olive oil mmmm so good