Vegan here - losing weight and gaining muscle

Options
I've been on MFP for ages but recently gone back to it, losing weight and gaining muscle as a vegan now and it's challenging.

Anyone else in the same position to swap tips/advice?

Replies

• sande3al
    sande3al Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What made you choose to go vegan?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle in a deficit, you need a surplus of calories instead.
  • Shabana1125
    Shabana1125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on going vegan!! (I like to follow domzthompson on Instagram as he is a vegan athlete if that helps you any...) Good luck on your journey. -S
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Are there any vegan or vegetarian protein shake options that you've considered? Some of them could increase your lean muscle mass if used as suggested. I actually am ordering some that just came out from a company I've used before. I can let you know how it is!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    sande3al wrote: »

You can still gain muscle in a deficit if your lifting weights and doing intense cardio to burn the fat. Especially if you're eating adequate protein. Just have to make sure your macros are in check

Also not quite true. There are certain conditions that allow someone to put on some muscle while in a caloric deficit. These people tend to be either 1) New to strength training 2) Overweight 3) Teenage Boys 4) People on PEDs.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

You can still gain muscle in a deficit if your lifting weights and doing intense cardio to burn the fat. Especially if you're eating adequate protein. Just have to make sure your macros are in check

Just adding that this will be a same amount of muscle. In a surplus a woman can maybe gain 1 lbs a month so in a deficit you'll only gain a small fraction of that. Btw intense cardio is not needed for fat lose, just a calorie deficit
  • sande3al
    Options

Also not quite true. There are certain conditions that allow someone to put on some muscle while in a caloric deficit. These people tend to be either 1) New to strength training 2) Overweight 3) Teenage Boys 4) People on PEDs.

Yeah that's true and mesomorphs with above average genetics ha.
  • sande3al
    Options

Just adding that this will be a same amount of muscle. In a surplus a woman can maybe gain 1 lbs a month so in a deficit you'll only gain a small fraction of that. Btw intense cardio is not needed for fat lose, just a calorie deficit

Yea I know, I added intense cardio to sort of imply shorter sessions, because it's possible for longer bouts of cardio to compromise muscle gains.
  • LayneCrawford
    LayneCrawford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Slowly transitioning to vegetarian with the goal of hopefully moving to veganism. Has it been going well for you??
  • Miss_s_louise73
    Miss_s_louise73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

First of all I have always been an animal lover but then felt hypocritical loving animals but continue to eat them, thought I would try it see how it went and starting watching documentaries on Netflix such as Forks over Knives and Cowspiracy and never looked back :smile:
  • Miss_s_louise73
    Options
    Are there any vegan or vegetarian protein shake options that you've considered? Some of them could increase your lean muscle mass if used as suggested. I actually am ordering some that just came out from a company I've used before. I can let you know how it is!

I've been drinking Chocolate Soy Isolate from My Protein, twice a day lately which has really helped my protein intake :smile:
  • Miss_s_louise73
    Options
    Slowly transitioning to vegetarian with the goal of hopefully moving to veganism. Has it been going well for you??

Definitely one of the best things I've never done! The health benefits are amazing.
  • jamiekelliher123
    jamiekelliher123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position but not vegan I'm 5foot 11 and 89 kg I have muscle but more of a bulky look just need to know how to cut alot of weight while building muscle
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well unless you go get a DEXA scan you won't actually know if you gain any muscle. Being female, already makes it more difficult to gain muscle in a surplus, let alone doing it in a deficit, but it is possible. Overall, it probably doesn't matter at all, because what is more important is how you feel and look. Follow a structured lifting program like StrongCurves or another in the thread below and have a moderate deficit 10-15% under your maintenance calories or (.5-1 lb per week). Keep protein to around .8g per lb of weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options

What made you choose to wear a hat?