How do you curb the "snacky" temptations?

Options
Dar_Line86
Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
So sometimes I find that the appetite really kicks in late afternoon into the evening. I try eating healthy, nutritional snacks but the appetite is so intense, by the time I'm done snacking on nutritionally packed but basically highly caloric snacks I may as well have eaten a whole meal. I've heard drinking water helps (not for me) fruits and veggies just don't do it for me when I feel like I'm that hungry. Any tips I haven't thought of?

Replies

• navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Replace the surplus calories snacks with some low calorie alternatives like...at times I replace my fav ice cream with non fat flavours greek yogurt....helps kill sweet cravings...low cal and some good protein alternative...stay strong...cheers
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    OK cool. But what if you're already subbing the more empty calories for more nutritional options but find yourself "binging" on the healthy stuff? I knew I could count on you, Nav, my friend, to give me some good advice.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you already are binging on healthy stuff then its a hard one....I get cravings too hell lot of times but only proteins help me with keeping filled for a long time..once in a while is ok but if binging is everyday even with healthy stuff then its a prob. I hope you have a cheat day once a week...that really helps me too....

Oh well and when I crave talking to someone or diverting mind really really helps me ...know one can know that better then you lol in my case

• stillwaters82
    stillwaters82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that protein helps me too. Especially nuts, like peanuts or pistachios in the shell. Having to take the time to shell them prevents me from eat too many in one sitting.
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    praise_him wrote: »
    I have to agree that protein helps me too. Especially nuts, like peanuts or pistachios in the shell. Having to take the time to shell them prevents me from eat too many in one sitting.
    I love pistachios. Nuts are the main thing I find are high in protein but also calories so by the time I get my fill, it's been a lot of calories. Ugh, the struggle is real!

• kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ryvita? They have little calories so you can munch on a couple if your peckish
    I used to be awful for snacking especially as medication I take increases my appetite
    I honestly think some days you won't be able to fight the urge to binge snack
    But like everything else it's all coming down to self control
    Ask yourself if you are actually hungry or if it's just a habit :smile: hope I helped
  • BMI2
    BMI2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Deem
    I crave a lot too, chocoholic
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Ebbs and flows. I'm a grazer anyway, but some days, particularly weekends, it ends up being snacking all day.

I just try to still reach my protein goal and not go too high on calories for the day. So, yesterday...pretzels, chocolate, wheat thins, ham...then a protein shake last thing to square up a bit. :D
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    BMI2 wrote: »
    Hi Deem
    I crave a lot too, chocoholic

I'm a total chocoholic too! I HAVE to have it everyday or bad things happen :D
  • beetlebailey698
    beetlebailey698 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would love to see any ideas that y'all have. I am a late night binger, even on "healthier" things like rice cakes, fruit, popcorn, etc. By the time that I am satiated, I have consumed quite a few calories right before bed. I know this is very bad for weight loss. To me, this seems like a behavior that I need to control and eliminate, more than find the "right" things to be eating. idk what to do, but I just find myself ravenous right before bedtime. :neutral:
  • G085H173
    G085H173 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth at 8pm.
    works every time
    And if you still have pangs for snacks do 10 slow sit ups and imagine the benefit rather than worrying about the late night calories
  • JUiCY_KiSS
    JUiCY_KiSS Posts: 8,512 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hummus and veggies,fruit and almond butter or just some fruit is my go to snacks and I love them. Luckily for the most part I don't have an urge to snack on junk food anymore and don't keep it around either. I don't eat past 8 and yep brushing my teeth works.
  • otterbx
    otterbx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I defaulted to popcorn for a while. I find that it I have a cup of coffee after dinner I feel more full and less likely to want to snack.
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. I snack
  • ScaleIsLying
    ScaleIsLying Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I snack, but when I consider eating something, I turn the moment into a pleasure/pain question: "I have lost 5 pounds recently. Is eating this crap going to do anything good for me?" If I look at it like that, the unhealthy snack food becomes a bad memory of a life that I don't want anymore.
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    I would love to see any ideas that y'all have. I am a late night binger, even on "healthier" things like rice cakes, fruit, popcorn, etc. By the time that I am satiated, I have consumed quite a few calories right before bed. I know this is very bad for weight loss. To me, this seems like a behavior that I need to control and eliminate, more than find the "right" things to be eating. idk what to do, but I just find myself ravenous right before bedtime. :neutral: [/quote
    I'm glad to know someone understands what I'm talking about!
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    G085H173 wrote: »
    Brush your teeth at 8pm.
    works every time
    And if you still have pangs for snacks do 10 slow sit ups and imagine the benefit rather than worrying about the late night calories

I'll try it. I LOVE brushing my teeth
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    JUiCY_KiSS wrote: »
    Hummus and veggies,fruit and almond butter or just some fruit is my go to snacks and I love them. Luckily for the most part I don't have an urge to snack on junk food anymore and don't keep it around either. I don't eat past 8 and yep brushing my teeth works.[/quote
    My problem is I snack on the hummus until its gone. It's not the content that is getting me its quantity.
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    otterbx wrote: »
    I defaulted to popcorn for a while. I find that it I have a cup of coffee after dinner I feel more full and less likely to want to snack.
    Popcorn, I don't eat that enough that's a good idea! And a cup of coffee? Never thought of that before, I'll have to try it.
  • Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    More protein at lunch.