Improving running speed

Options
Hi All!

I have my first 10k next month and can manage the distance, though my pace is 12 minute miles. I want to focus on improving this (ideally 10.30-11 minute miles) over time. What is the best way of doing this? Sprinting, walking and repeating vs regularly running the distance?

Thanks
Cally

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You should be doing a bit of both. Do some longer slower runs to build up your endurance. Also, do some shorter, faster runs to build up speed.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You sound relatively new, just adding more miles and building your base should get you faster. Then worry about actual speed work once you have a larger overall volume
  • madcow132
    madcow132 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, when you say shorter faster runs. Would you run for example 20 minutes at fast speed, or 20 minutes fast with recovery time in?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    madcow132 wrote: »
    I have my first 10k next month and can manage the distance

So assuming that you're a relative newcomer to running the situation is fairly clearcut.

Run more at a steady pace.
    , though my pace is 12 minute miles. I want to focus on improving this (ideally 10.30-11 minute miles) over time. What is the best way of doing this?

What does your current plan look like?

Before bothering with any intervals or speedwork I'd be expecting you to be comfortably running for 10K four times per week. If you're not doing that then don't bother with intervals or tempo runs.
  • madcow132
    madcow132 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Meanderingmammal

I started running 5 months ago with a walk/run programme building up to 10k, as before I couldn’t run more than a few metres without getting out of breath. I can run this comfortably (though like anyone I have harder days) 3-4 times a week. Usually I will aim to do 2-3 10ks in evenings and one 5k in the morning before work.

If I am honest, I am happy with this distance and don’t really want to progress by adding much more mileage so thought that working on distance would be a good motivating target. The area where I live is quite flat so there isn’t the option to include hills in my training. I don't really have a plan now I have finished my 10k one so feel a bit at a loss of how to progress.

Mentally I seem to get set into a regular pace which I can sustain quite well, though it is fairly slow.

Thanks all for taking the time to advise :smile:
  • chestcab
    chestcab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add some Hill intervals to get stronger & faster.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Volume. Run more, slowly.

Any speed work will hurt you more than anything.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Going to offer an opinion from a different angle as I just heard a podcast talking about this some. Also, this might not be applicable since no history of resistance training information was given, etc...(so I am just making assumptions).

What I am inferring to will be weight based training. Being able to get to the point where one can say 'I can squat 1.5-2x bodyweight' has shown marked improvement in running speed. There is a point of diminished returns, but the 1.5-2x bodyweight seems to be a "sweetspot" for running speed improvement. And I am not saying to incorporate this now due to your timeline, but looking at it long term, it might be an avenue to take advantage of if you are not there already.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cajuntank , my speed has increased a lot since I've started lifting weights. Also, I seem to be able to run faster for a longer period of time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for just running more.......as you've been running for 5 months you're still building your aerobic base.

A certain amount of speed will come just by increasing your overall running volume (and slow is good). I wouldn't worry too much about speed work for a while yet.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Agree with running more. Speed work at this point can lead to injury. I also agree with weight training (and cross training in general).

Also, including hills in your runs is a way to get 'speed work' in without trying.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to improve my 5K speed I did a most of my training runs at a slow pace plus a weekly interval session. That seemed to be pretty effective.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run further than 10k
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    apparently cycling makes you a better runner. Try swapping a run for a bike ride.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    apparently cycling makes you a better runner. Try swapping a run for a bike ride.

While I agree completely that cycling is great x-training for runners bike fitness does not translate into running fitness, I would not recommend dropping a run (especially this early in the OP's running career) for a ride. Ride on a non-running day or do both the same day but don't reduce running frequency.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @MeanderinM... "Before bothering with any intervals or speedwork I'd be expecting you to be comfortably running for 10K four times per week. If you're not doing that then don't bother with intervals or tempo runs."
    [/quote]

Hi!
    I was reading your answer and would like to know the reason behind this advice.
    I am a new runner too and I am curious.
    Thanks !
    :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi!
    Thanks !

Running performance is largely built on a base of aerobic capacity, with speedwork helping to develop tolerance at the lactate threshold, and improvements in VO2Max. Until you've built the aerobic base you don't get much from the other two types of session.

Structured plans vary depending on the desired objectives but most have about 80% of easy paced work with the potential for 20% of speedwork once one is beyond the novice stage. When looking at those structured plans it's also clear that in the early stage they're all easy paced with no speedwork, with lactate threshold work coming in reasonably early with tempo sessions. Sprint intervals, that address VO2Max, only emerge towards the end of a plan and are mainly about adding a bit of polish to the performance.

For someone doing something like a club level 5K improvement plan there would be about 40km per week with about half of that being in two long steady runs and the balance being speedwork that would probably amount to 10-12km per session anyway.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

While I agree completely that cycling is great x-training for runners bike fitness does not translate into running fitness, I would not recommend dropping a run (especially this early in the OP's running career) for a ride. Ride on a non-running day or do both the same day but don't reduce running frequency.

I agree with your recommendation (bike on off days maybe, but don't give up a run to ride), but not with the bold part. As long as you're able to cover the distance, it's aerobic capacity that limits people in both sports. Any improvement to your cardiopulmonary fitness will pay dividends in both. I ran my first 10k in 62 minutes because of fitness I built on the bike, I'd never run more than 4.3 miles before that.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Thanks !

Running performance is largely built on a base of aerobic capacity, with speedwork helping to develop tolerance at the lactate threshold, and improvements in VO2Max. Until you've built the aerobic base you don't get much from the other two types of session.

Structured plans vary depending on the desired objectives but most have about 80% of easy paced work with the potential for 20% of speedwork once one is beyond the novice stage. When looking at those structured plans it's also clear that in the early stage they're all easy paced with no speedwork, with lactate threshold work coming in reasonably early with tempo sessions. Sprint intervals, that address VO2Max, only emerge towards the end of a plan and are mainly about adding a bit of polish to the performance.

For someone doing something like a club level 5K improvement plan there would be about 40km per week with about half of that being in two long steady runs and the balance being speedwork that would probably amount to 10-12km per session anyway.

Got it !!!!
    THANK YOU !
    I am at the end of week 8 of a 22 week Half-Marathon program and I have noticed exactly that. Improvement by continuous running. I feel I can naturally go faster without even trying to and feel the same "effort"... which is exaclty what you explained.
    So thank you !
    I am loving this. It is very empowering.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    madcow132 wrote: »
    Hi All!

I have my first 10k next month and can manage the distance, though my pace is 12 minute miles. I want to focus on improving this (ideally 10.30-11 minute miles) over time. What is the best way of doing this? Sprinting, walking and repeating vs regularly running the distance?

Thanks
    Cally

No better way than hill repeats. Torture really but if you can maintain hill running, the flats come easily.

Fartlek and tabatta are also good ways of improving time over distance.