Protien Ideas

Options
SeaChele77
SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
I need some ideas for good protien in non-dairy form and no dairy ingredients. More for breakfast type food. I'm not much of a red meat eater either. Besides eggs and some cereals (that I have to eat dry) I am starting to run out of ideas. Any help is appreciated!!

Replies

• bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Beef

Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
    Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
    Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
    Chicken

Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
    Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
    Drumstick – 11 grams
    Wing – 6 grams
    Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
    Fish

Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
    Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein
    Pork

Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
    Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
    Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
    Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
    Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
    Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams
    Eggs and Dairy

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
    Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
    Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • tizzy22
    tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of options - peanut butter, almond butter, protein powder smoothy made with ice and almond milk and berries, soy nuts, turkey/chicken bacon, ham, tuna, oatmeal. Hope these suggestions help!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Soy Milk?
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That is a great list posted above. If you are really struggling, why not buy some powder to add to oatmeal, drink with water, etc? It is a super convenient way to get more protein into your diet, and there are some tasty flavours!
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Jennie O makes some lean Turkey breaksfast links that I like - high in protein & 0 carbs - which is hard to find and they taste pretty good.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with anything you want mixed in. Loaded with protein!

EDIT: Oops, non-dairy... sorry about that. My suggestion would not work in your case. :(
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I have an EAS protein shake mixed with unsweetened almond milk. Two scoops = 46 grams of protein.
  • renderol
    renderol Posts: 21
    Options
    They do have soy yogurt, soy milk, soy cheese. Almost all breakfast meats come in a turkey/ soy version and taste like the real thing. These options are much lower in fat and sodium!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Well, there are tons of things to do with eggs: poached, scrambled, omelettes, in breakfast tacos, in breakfast sandwiches, etc. You can add all sorts of vegetables or bits of meat to change up the flavors and give you variety.

You could buy some protein powder and make fruit smoothies. (Half to one cup of juice, one to two cups of frozen fruit, and your protein powder of choice.) If you want it creamier you could add half a cup of soy yogurt also.

You could have a peanut butter, or other nut butter, sandwich.

You could make a grilled ham or sausage on an English muffin sandwich. You could add various condiments, vegetables, or soy cheese to change up the flavors. Another good option is vegetarian sausage, like those by Morning Star Farms. I don't like to eat them plain, but they're great in a sandwich or breakfast taco.

That's about all I can think of at the moment as much of my protein involves dairy. Hope you find some suggestions that work for you.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    marking. :)