Any English people?

Options

Replies

• brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    apart from our birth certificate what qualities make you English?

I'm sarcastic a lot too :)
    The English just seem to be nicer. I've met wealthy Americans, and wealthy Englishmen and I much prefer the English. Also love all the little words like loo and telly, etc etc.
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to live in England? The weather is ****, the food is bland and the people are mostly racists and homophobic and theres a class system and the divide between the groups is only getting bigger. It's not very nice.

You could always emigrate! Sorry but you make too many generalisations. The English people you know may be homophobic, racist and class ridden but not everyone is like that. On the MFP web site alone there are lots of people from different cultures etc.. we are not all so quick to prejudge as you seem to be. Yes, perhaps you do not want to be seen as "the quintessential English person" decribed in the thread that does not mean you have to lamblast what was said so vehemently, the poor girl who started the thread must be sorry she ever wrote it. And no I don't live in a cottage etc but I will accept what she said with good grace!!!!

Well said , I was thinking the same why stay here if she hates it so much ???

I think that should be the rule with any place. If you don't like living here, then get out! We certainly won't miss you lol. We get a lot of snow where I live, and a lot of tourists complain that it's so crappy and the worst place and I just want to yell at them to leave, then. I love where I live. It's so beautiful (at least in the summer ) haha.

It sounds lovely I love snow (talking about weather again lol) I used to work in a old fashioned hotel and I had a woman say she wouldn't pay her bill because the decor made her depressed I honestly think some people will moan about anything.
  • blackrose80
    blackrose80 Posts: 134
    Options
    Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
    Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
    Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
    And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
    Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
    And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;
    And every fair from fair sometime declines,
    By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
    But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
    Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
    Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,
    When in eternal lines to time thou growest:

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
    So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

And of course, the UK has Shakespeare too! :bigsmile:

And we have Elvis Presley! We win :D
    LOL -Very good. But we'll see in 400 years if you win. ;);)
  • brittanyscherich
    Options
    Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?
    Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
    Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
    And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
    Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
    And oft' is his gold complexion dimm'd;
    And every fair from fair sometime declines,
    By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd:
    But thy eternal Summer shall not fade
    Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
    Nor shall Death brag thou wanderest in his shade,
    When in eternal lines to time thou growest:

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
    So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

And of course, the UK has Shakespeare too! :bigsmile:

And we have Elvis Presley! We win :D
    LOL -Very good. But we'll see in 400 years if you win. ;);)

I think so :) I believe Elvis will live forever. I'm a huge Elvis fan, and I was born 13 years after his death. And my 5 year old niece is absolutely in love with him. He'll always have fans who keep his spirit alive.
  • blackrose80
    blackrose80 Posts: 134
    Options
    It can be no bad thing to be into Elvis. :D And certainly no bad thing to remember his musical influences.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    And while we're at it, chocolate! I am aware that some chocolate-snobs are a bit sniffy about British chocolate but actually it's not at all bad, and really, quite comforting at times! Take note, Americans! :laugh: Oh, and strong Cheddar. Yum! :bigsmile:

I love British chocolate. I will take it over that Swiss and Belgian nonsense any day. It generally also has a nicer taste and texture than US chocolate. US chocolate tends to be a little "waxy" as it requires more preservatives I understand (obviously the US is much larger than the UK so travelling time between manufacturers/suppliers/retailers is therefore proportionally greater.)

Have you tried Little Black Bomber cheddar? It is soooo nice.

Its funny. I have friends and family all over the world from places as far afield as NZ to the US. The two things they always ask me to bring a little of is cheese and chocolate.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Little Black Bomber cheddar? It is soooo nice.

Those little truckles? Oh yes! They sell it in the foodie part of our local garden centre (along with 'artisan bread' - lol!) - very nomsome!
    I think so :) I believe Elvis will live forever. I'm a huge Elvis fan, and I was born 13 years after his death. And my 5 year old niece is absolutely in love with him. He'll always have fans who keep his spirit alive.

I was 14 when he died, and was devastated (because you have to be at that age, right?!). I still love Elvis, and am still saddened by the way he was manipulated and used by those around him. So tragic. :cry:
    I've heard it takes a long time to see a doctor over there!

I think it probably depends on where you are. In this town, you never have to wait for more than 48 hours - obviously if it's urgent, you can be seen straight away. Most of the time though, it's pretty easy (in my experience) to be seen on the same day if you ring early enough. When I lived in rural areas here, I *always* got seen on the same day as I rang for an appointment.
    A lot of internationals come to the U.S. for emergency medical care because although it's expensive, you get amazing care.

While I've fortunately never had need of medical assistance in the US, I can say that in general, the level of service/customer care I've received there has been second-to-none. I do actually think the British could learn a lot from US in that respect, especially in shops!
    Also, I think a lot of poverty exists and other issues in the U.S. because we always have to recue everyone. We always donate the most when any disaster happens.

Is that as a percentage, or per capita, or overall? Just curious!
    I feel like the U.S. should focus more on its own people.

I'm sure there are many people across the world who would agree with you! :laugh: I do see your point though - and I can see how easily foreign aid might breed resentment at home. Striking a balance must be very difficult....not a job I'd like to have!
  • Loopyleanne
    Options

I love those British words! I'm a cashier in a tourist city, and a nice couple came in the other day and asked me where the loo was. :)

haha. yep i did that in a restaurant in New york on hol a few years back and will never forget the look of horror and amusement i was given!! I learnt quickly to say 'rest room' after that!!! :-) also do you guys across the pond realise how American the phrase 'good job!' is? love it!
  • Loopyleanne
    Options

I love British chocolate. I will take it over that Swiss and Belgian nonsense any day. It generally also has a nicer taste and texture than US chocolate.

Fantastic!! can i just say nothing and i repeat NOTHING beats a good bar of cadburys choc!! ok ok this is a health/ fitness site but i'll admit to having choc everyday, in moderation and yes its cadbury and MMMmmmmmm :-)

ps i have tried american choc and sorry, not for me!!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    i have tried american choc and sorry, not for me!!

Same here; I bought some CDM when I was in LA, had one square, and threw the rest in the bin. It was gross! And NOT CDM, despite what the wrapper may have said! :sick:
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options

I love the iow go there on my fiances bike whenever someone will have the kids it has some great biking roads we hope to be able yo move there sometime as we love it so much

Yes indeed, we have some great roads for riding. Even my commute to work is a good ride.

And forget Elvis. Chuck Berry is the king!:laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! can i just say nothing and i repeat NOTHING beats a good bar of cadburys choc!! ok ok this is a health/ fitness site but i'll admit to having choc everyday,

Actually so do I! Usually Cadbury's Dairy Milk but I am going through a Cadbury's Caramel phase at the moment. I think I must eat my entire body weight in Cadbury's chocolate every month...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    i'm english... from East Sussex by the sea. sorry i've never lived in a cottage but i would love to!! I have some tall family members tho and quite frankly they would just keep hitting their head in a little tudor cottage LOL

I live in a Tudor cottage, and at 5'5" I am forever hitting my head.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    bloody hell some people are miserable sods are they not?

Love my country, love the weather, love the countryside, the towns and villages, the seaside, the mountains, the lakes, the history and the majority of the people.

The food here is fabulous, the chocolate is the best in the world, and I love the cheese.

I live in a village, I can walk to the downs or the county town, visit the castle on the hill above or a Roman villa in a near by road, I can visit Neolithic standing stones, I can ride on a steam train. All just near my house. I love that I live here, I love the NHS, I owe it my life and that of my son, I was in a private room for 6 weeks before he was born and saw the consultant every day, had all manner of tests and treatment and it cost me not a penny piece, my Mother received all her many operations and treatments and palliative care free, it was fabulous care and I now work for the NHS and I know its a bloody marvellous service we should all be thankful for.

I think there are things to be improved, people who are vile and places that are not pleasant, but this is a GREAT country, with fabulous people and although I don't live in a cottage, I speak the traditional RP that you are probably thinking of, I say barth for bath, I say sitting room, I say toilet and I laugh at Monty Python and think that the Royal family are great.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    bloody hell some people are miserable sods are they not?

Love my country, love the weather, love the countryside, the towns and villages, the seaside, the mountains, the lakes, the history and the majority of the people.

The food here is fabulous, the chocolate is the best in the world, and I love the cheese.

I live in a village, I can walk to the downs or the county town, visit the castle on the hill above or a Roman villa in a near by road, I can visit Neolithic standing stones, I can ride on a steam train. All just near my house. I love that I live here, I love the NHS, I owe it my life and that of my son, I was in a private room for 6 weeks before he was born and saw the consultant every day, had all manner of tests and treatment and it cost me not a penny piece, my Mother received all her many operations and treatments and palliative care free, it was fabulous care and I now work for the NHS and I know its a bloody marvellous service we should all be thankful for.

I think there are things to be improved, people who are vile and places that are not pleasant, but this is a GREAT country, with fabulous people and although I don't live in a cottage, I speak the traditional RP that you are probably thinking of, I say barth for bath, I say sitting room, I say toilet and I laugh at Monty Python and think that the Royal family are great.

**Applauds!** :smile:
    I live in a Tudor cottage, and at 5'5" I am forever hitting my head.

My MIL's cottage has been an ale-house and a post office at various points in its life, and the only part of it which has a ceiling high enough for us to not bang our heads is the hall area....and that's because it used to be a courtyard! She made some 'mind your head' signs, which our niece and nephew take great delight in putting up whenever we go for a visit! :laugh:
  • brittanyscherich
    Options

I love those British words! I'm a cashier in a tourist city, and a nice couple came in the other day and asked me where the loo was. :)

haha. yep i did that in a restaurant in New york on hol a few years back and will never forget the look of horror and amusement i was given!! I learnt quickly to say 'rest room' after that!!! :-) also do you guys across the pond realise how American the phrase 'good job!' is? love it!

I didn't realize that :) I was watching a show called International House Hunters, and they were in Britain, and the lady remarked how the grass was beautiful, then laughed because she said grass. I didn't get it, but assumed grass is an American word. lol
  • brittanyscherich
    Options

I love the iow go there on my fiances bike whenever someone will have the kids it has some great biking roads we hope to be able yo move there sometime as we love it so much

Yes indeed, we have some great roads for riding. Even my commute to work is a good ride.

And forget Elvis. Chuck Berry is the king!:laugh:

I VERY STRONGLY disagree. There's a whole world of Elvis fans. It's just an amazing experience, being an Elvis fan. I don't think anyone else has fans like Elvis does, that love him so much. But it's because if anyone deserves that love, it's Elvis. He was such an amazing man, and is still such a beautiful soul. But Chuck Berry was one of Elvis's inspirations and they even co wrote a song together... I think the year was 1962.
  • iKchuuuu
    iKchuuuu Posts: 13
    Options
    England sucks to be quite far.
    Its rains all the time, or the weather isn't really that nice!
    And the tiniest bit of sun everyone is down the beach,
    squeezing into the tiniest places just to get that tiny bit of sun!

Also, us English people seem to have created an awful breed of human.
    The CHAV or the PIKEY.
    They are horrible, the only way to describe them would be.
    They are pretty much Wigga's. And like to steal, and look dsigusting, and wear trackies and fake brands.
    And uuhh >.< they make you cringe. And their vocabulary isn't really that good.

"Ite m8, u okai boi?" see look at how horrible that is!
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    People are so pessimistic about our country. I totally agree with TheGoktor about the UK. I love living here!
    The weather might not always be the sunniest but we do have the chance to take holidays to somewhere more tropical and we appreciate the weather a lot more this way I think. Also we don't have to constantly worry about hurricanes, tornados and droughts, forest fires, earthquakes and pretty much every other natural disaster that is more common with warmer climates.

For the poster who mentioned the class divide you seem incredibly bitter about people who maybe slightly better off than you. Has it occurred to you that you could change your own life if you really wanted to? there ISN'T a massive divide between classes and if you feel like there is, stop moaning and do something about it.

Our NHS is amazing too, fair enough they might not be the prettiest places to spend your time in but I'd prefer to be there than somewhere just as shabby but paying for it!
    I'm currently waiting for an operation on my left hip (have been for 2 years) but if I wanted to go private I would have to spend close to £10k which I just don't have and I don't fancy having to spend the next 10 years trying to pay it back. But at least I have the choice. I need my operation to get back to work to earn a good living and if I was to be living in America or other countries I would have had to have paid for the last 2 years of consultations and doctors appointments. Thank you NHS.

I actually like the food too! I don't see what we have to complain about when compared to other, less fortunate countries ours is a paradise! That's why we have so many people moving here to live!

I went on a business trip to China about 4 years ago and that really opened my eyes to how fortunate we are here. Yeah we have "chavs" and "pikeys" we also have "goths" and "emos" If you are a chav you don't like the goths, if youre a goth you dont like the chavs etc etc. Each to their own. You live your life they live theirs.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm from Wales, I don't live in the valleys and don't have a very strong welsh accent.
    And I agree with the poster that said that the welsh accent sounds wrong on TV.
    My friend doesn't sound like he has an accent in real life, he went onto a tv programme and he sounded weirdly very very welsh!
    No wonder Welsh actors and actresses like Catherine Zeta Jones had to drop her accent quick otherwise she wouldn't have got anywhere :) Singers do quite well though :)