How do I stop binge eating?

Options
So I've finally discovered a name for what I'm going through...a little slow I know. So, I know I'm not alone here...how have some of you stopped binge eating? From what I've read online I need either a psychiatrist or medication..seriously????

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You may need professional help. But professionals and meds don't always help. Whether you do get professional help or not, you will have to do a lot on your own, and you can do a lot on your own.

If your bingeing is basically bad habits gone terribly wrong, and you binge on certain foods that aren't nutritionally essential, you can help yourself by not buying those items.

If you binge because you have "dieted" in the past and thus restricted intake - not just quantity/calories qualifies, but also restricting quality/favorites - too much, you need to get in a structure where you eat regularly, enough, nutritious food you like.

If you binge because you "hate your body", "don't deserve to be happy" or any other emotional/psychological issues, and/or binge on "ordinary food", you should seek professional help immediately.
  • Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    I stress binge.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Then I would suggest working on reducing stress (meditation, scheduling time for fun and exercise, sleeping habits, learning to say no - let someone else take responsibility too), and not keep trigger foods around. Meal planning is probably essential.
  • trenay1972
    trenay1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't stop eating either...I have been on meds I have went to counsel n etc..I just love 2 eat..full not full just doesn't matter..but the one thing I realize that the only person can stop this habit is ME..we has binge eating simply have to stop the cycle...say no to urself..find a replacement...pray..its simple but also the hardest challenge of our lives...we will go throw withdrawals mood changes just like any other addictions...think how bad we want to stop..are we strong enough to fight against this urge.today I choose to fight take back my control...will you...do it with me...do it for you...JUST DO IT!!!!!!! Period.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would say stop putting yourself in a situation to binge eat I guess. They say everything in moderation, but there are things i can't do that with, so potatoe chips I can't keep in the house because I would eat the whole bag at once, or if I feel like I'm going to binge, I'm not going to go near anyplace with a $1.00 menu, biggest part of it is making sure I eat at home a lot during the week, and preplanning/making my lunches!
  • trenay1972
    trenay1972 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a binge eater I can honestly say there is no situation that cause us to eat. We eat when we happy sad stressed depressed so on and so on..you just eat no particular reason..food is everywhere...we buy it..it's at work at church at home it's almost done without realizing we just ate everything that was present. Portion control doesn't exist..starts that way until you look up and all of the week foods is gone..this is a deep rooted problem usually is never told its done in secret we tell no one..no one even sees..some people carried weight well and you will never have guessed..I am sharing so it can be put on the table I AM A BINGE EATER...
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    Then I would suggest working on reducing stress (meditation, scheduling time for fun and exercise, sleeping habits, learning to say no - let someone else take responsibility too), and not keep trigger foods around. Meal planning is probably essential.

Thanks for helping!
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I appreciate it!!
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    trenay1972 wrote: »
    As a binge eater I can honestly say there is no situation that cause us to eat. We eat when we happy sad stressed depressed so on and so on..you just eat no particular reason..food is everywhere...we buy it..it's at work at church at home it's almost done without realizing we just ate everything that was present. Portion control doesn't exist..starts that way until you look up and all of the week foods is gone..this is a deep rooted problem usually is never told its done in secret we tell no one..no one even sees..some people carried weight well and you will never have guessed..I am sharing so it can be put on the table I AM A BINGE EATER...

I get it...and I don't want to do this anymore!!! Let's do this together. I'll send you a friend request.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is a group for binge eaters that you can join on the forum. It might help you. identify your triggers, and try to minimize them. Find alternative things to do when you feel the urge. Best of luck to you.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Binge eating is the killer for anyone trying to work out. I know it's hard to curve it (I have bouts of it too). It's when you try to restrict too much and the sign of boredom or just your mind thinking it needs food is where you get in trouble. What I find that helps me is that if I were to eat protein and fiber-rich foods (like oatmeal) I tend to stay fuller longer and don't really binge all that much. Also increasing the amount of water I drink helps too. Your body can't decipher between hunger and thirst. Try increasing your water intake, mix it up if you are bored with the water taste (lemon, mint, green tea, etc.) If you are increasing your water intake and eating enough food but still have bouts of binge........counter it with some calisthenics; if you keep your body moving and your mind off the thought of food, the binge should subside.

But don't restrict your calories to the point your body goes into starvation mode; you won't get anywhere with your goal and you end up just eating anything in sight.; hince the binge.

Try putting up positive reinforcement where you find yourself going to all the time. One the fridge, your living room, you phone's background; put "You got this", "Don't give in"; something like that.

Try some meditation in your bedroom, put on some calming music to help. Listen to self-guides for meditation on Youtube (they've helped me).

It's a struggle, I understand. You have to put your mind over matter on this fact. You got this, you have the power to get over this and if you need that motivation, you got all of us on here to help you through it.

If you need more support, you can add me as friend.
    From Batman Beings, when Bruce's dad asks him "Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can pick ourselves up again."
  • beetlebailey698
    beetlebailey698 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a problem with binge eating as well. Some of my medication makes me feel really hungry (especially late at night before bed). In my experience, meditation has been the most effective tool that I've found.
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    So...I watched a video on youtube and it was basically saying that it's a pattern and we need to break the pattern and replace it with something. Also I need to eat more calories. I weigh 295 and am eating 1200 calories a day. That's not enough. So I'm going to eat 1750 calories - which is enough to maintain my weight at my goal weight. I'm about a size 12 when I'm 165 to 170. My husband doesn't like me any slimmer than that. So I'll eat those calories and keep my body from starving and eventually get to my goal weight. I hope that's right thinking.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a recovering binge eater (still fall for it sometimes, but not nearly as often as I did in the past). A few things that have helped me:

- The book Never Binge Again by Glenn Livingston. Basically, it taught me to think of that voice in your head telling you to eat crap as this monster you don't have to listen to. Visualizing it as this separate entity, and one that I could say NO! to, helps me actually say no.
    - Practicing mindfulness. Something again I started after reading the book, but when I get the urge to eat, I ask myself "am I actually hungry?" In the beginning, the answer was often no, I just wanted to eat because I was bored/stressed/because I said so. I've started becoming more aware of my hunger cues. I'll drink a glass of water and wait 15 minutes before actually eating anything. Now I know I usually get hungry around 12:30 and 7:30ish.
    - I stopped keeping my binge-y foods in the house. It sucks because sometimes I genuinely want chips/goldfish/whatever salty crunchy food, but I don't trust myself yet. I'm hoping I'll get there eventually, but right now I'd still be tempted to eat all/most of the package.
    - I started eating dinner later. I used to eat right when I got home (around 6ish), and then sometime between 9 and 10 I'd start getting cravings to eat. Now I try to eat around 7:30/8ish, then by bedtime I'm still full enough that I don't usually feel the need to munch.
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    1shedev wrote: »
    There is a group for binge eaters that you can join on the forum. It might help you. identify your triggers, and try to minimize them. Find alternative things to do when you feel the urge. Best of luck to you.[/q

How would I find the group?
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    303lissy wrote: »
    I'm definitely a recovering binge eater (still fall for it sometimes, but not nearly as often as I did in the past). A few things that have helped me:

- The book Never Binge Again by Glenn Livingston. Basically, it taught me to think of that voice in your head telling you to eat crap as this monster you don't have to listen to. Visualizing it as this separate entity, and one that I could say NO! to, helps me actually say no.
    - Practicing mindfulness. Something again I started after reading the book, but when I get the urge to eat, I ask myself "am I actually hungry?" In the beginning, the answer was often no, I just wanted to eat because I was bored/stressed/because I said so. I've started becoming more aware of my hunger cues. I'll drink a glass of water and wait 15 minutes before actually eating anything. Now I know I usually get hungry around 12:30 and 7:30ish.
    - I stopped keeping my binge-y foods in the house. It sucks because sometimes I genuinely want chips/goldfish/whatever salty crunchy food, but I don't trust myself yet. I'm hoping I'll get there eventually, but right now I'd still be tempted to eat all/most of the package.
    - I started eating dinner later. I used to eat right when I got home (around 6ish), and then sometime between 9 and 10 I'd start getting cravings to eat. Now I try to eat around 7:30/8ish, then by bedtime I'm still full enough that I don't usually feel the need to munch.

I watched a video today that said something similar with the "monster voice" and that I don't have to listen to it but I can fight it and break the cycle. Thanks
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Look up the book "Brain over Binge".
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Some tips from my binge eating experience. I can always elaborate or answer questions, but this should be a good start:)

First, admit there was a problem. For three going on four years, I blamed externals, my drive, and my dreams for my actions. Ignoring people in my life hinting at me that I may have a problem, including family, close friends, and girlfriend. I lied to myself, rationalizing it with the mask of a cheat meal. As the punishment for binging increased so did the amount of times I binged. At first once a week, then every couple days, every other, until it consumed my thoughts. At times I would drive to Walmart just to eat it all before coming home. Chances are if you are reading this it is because you are looking for help. Good for you, you are lightyears ahead of where I was!

Second, I learned to love myself for me, as a matter of fact I am still learning how to do this. Today, the emulated physique is seen as happiness. It is published on social media, magazines, and posters as the symbol of happiness. I believed it, I chased it and chased it. I had it for some time and I was still just as miserable. How you look will not make you happy! Now don’t twist those words as an excuse to just let ourselves become overweight. Chances are you will break step 1 which is lying and rationalizing it. We have to learn to accept our imperfections. We all have them and everyone tries to hide them. Here are my flaws (some I can fix, others are what they are):
    Relationships: I am aweful. I wrecked a 15 year friendship with a highschool sweetheart, I was selfish and an *kitten*. I can also be abrasive and brutal with little to no compassion. However ever since I shared this personal story, I have gotten better. Although I am by no means finished working on this.
    Skin Damage: I never wore sunscreen as a kid. Now I have moles, freckles, and scars. Some I wish weren’t there. Some girls won’t talk to me because of them. I am not “sexy” enough. They aren’t “interested”.

Don’t let your imperfections stop you from loving yourself. You are the only you this world will ever see, embrace yourself. Perhaps the worst thing about this cycle was I hated myself, I hated my life, I did not want to look in the mirror, I thought I was a failure that I would never make it, I contemplated suicide. When I would binge, I would punish myself. Don’t do that we are human, life is meant to be enjoyed. Life is much too short to never treat yourself to what you love to eat whatever that maybe for you. Look yourself in the mirror directly into your eyes saying “I LOVE myself” at least 10 times a day, if not more. P.S. try not to smile when you say this (harder than you think).

Thirdly, there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.”

Fourth, going along the lines of moderation. You can eat whatever you want just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this, I believe this, like the 11th commandment, in fact it should be an amendment to the constitution. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but it will allow you still get your “fix” but you won’t binge on it. Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate not from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Fifth, no more crazy spreadsheets and tracking of nutrients line item by line item like an accountant. I did not worry about counting calories and the works. I would instead eat (3) meals, breakfast, lunch and supper possibly a snack if I was hungry. I would eat slowly, and as I began to feel fuller I would stop eating. You may be like me and scared that you’ll get fat. Well what is our other choice? We can keep binge eating which is not working, because you wouldn’t be reading this. Or we can reach out and try something new. I need to be conscious of my eating, instead of speed eating (still struggle at times).

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.

It is your lucky day! I said six, but here is a seventh tip. So, what about eating at restaurants and parties? Parties were my kryptonite, the amount of food that I saw and I thought I had to eat three people’s worth of everything. What helped me to win at parties was I made this a game in my head (who cares no one else knows..plus now you know I did it). I am very competitive; I hate losing even if it’s go fish with a girlfriend (I will be a terrible father I will never let my kids win). Since eating slower and not getting seconds was a struggle at first. The game I created was to be the last one done eating, and the last one to get seconds. This helped me in many ways, first to help me eat slower I talked with people, this helped to repair the relationships I had damaged in the past, plus I was not over eating (win/win). Which is why I was last to get seconds, so often I would eat so quick that my stomach didn’t even know it was fed until I was already 4-5 plates of heaping food deep.

Make that eight, workout for fun! For so long in this process I trained for results no I do not mean goals; I simply worked out to look good that’s it! It was the complete wrong direction, it made training no fun, I dreaded every gym session, and was having a miserable time. It doesn’t matter if you are into bodybuilding, figure, physique, cross fit, powerlifting, strongman, marathons, etc. just train for fun, train to get better and challenge yourself. For me this was powerlifting.
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was 235lbs at 5'6" and I love to eat, don't know if I would consider binge but I could eat a full packet of spaghetti (2lb) easily without problem and go for more a couple hours later. What eventually worked what simply substituting foods and learning recipes. I thought I'd deal with it psychologically first, I would still eat my 2-3 plates full of food, but instead of consuming 2500-3000 calories in ONE meal, I would eat broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, mushrooms, book hoy, spinach, shrimp, etc. and cook all of it different ways with different seasoning, and learned a TON of recipes. My 2-3 plates of this came out to only 400ish calories...kept that up for a couple months with my workout, results started really showing. Kept eating my mountain plates of food as I learned to make more recipes to change taste up constantly across the same 20 or so low calorie foods, learned more about different types of shakes, benefits of certain foods, how different foods fuel your body in certain ways, and found mood changing, confidence growing, body transforming, clothes constantly becoming loose, and to this day, I'll still have the occasional 2-3 plates of food and have food coma afterwards full of flavor but only realize I just ate 300 calories. You'll sacrifice here and there with dips in the beginning but you'll start to go harder in the gym, become more tight with your diet, etc. as you start looking in the mirror and go "where did that muscle come from!!?!?" Develop a routine, make it a habit, plan your meals, weigh your food and ziplock Baggie it immediately after groceries just to get it out the way so you don't waste time when you want to cook or eat it right away, and BOOOOOM....3 months later you dropped a ton of weight, gained muscle, and didn't have to sacrifice your food. OH, and make a list of all the low calorie quick snack foods and foods that make you feel full and/or take up volume in your stomach so you just grab whatever you feel like that day (carrots, grapes, Apple, blueberries, blackberries, etc. or veggies: cucumber, celery, or other fun flavored stuff you can get in the store: flavored rice cakes (they got all kinds of chocolate, caramel, butter, etc.), popcorn, wheat bread, there's soooooooo many options. Good luck!
  • Godsgirl42
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help I really appreciate it! There's a lot of information here that can help. Have a great day