Vegan Macros For Weight Loss?

Options
Hi! I've been vegan for around 3 years and I'm looking to lose a little bit of fat and tone my body up.

I just started learning about macros, and I'm not really sure what I should be aiming for in terms of percentages. I'm reading so many different opinions everywhere that I'm just confused now. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As vegans, our nutritional needs are the same as those of non-vegans. You want to make sure you are getting sufficient protein and fat. Many vegans eat more carbohydrates than non-vegans because some of our best protein sources tend to have more carbohydrates (beans, grains, etc). Do you know what macros you're hitting right now? Sometimes it's best to get an idea of the baseline you're currently eating at and tweaking from there.

I started with the default percentages recommended by MFP and then adjusted from there. I typically get about 50-60% carbohydrates, 20-30% fat, and 10-20% protein. This is based on how I feel and perform best -- but there are vegans who eat a lot more protein, a lot more or less carbohydrates, or much less fat.
  • codicheyennejohnson
    codicheyennejohnson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I'm hitting currently. I'm just getting into tracking all of this. I know my activity level comes into play with this as well, I'm a massage therapist that works 4 days a week and I swing dance 2-3 times a week, with other activities sprinkled in there on occasion such as more dancing, biking, hiking, etc.... Not sure what activity level category that places me in.
  • codicheyennejohnson
    codicheyennejohnson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure how many calories I should be aiming for.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have no idea what I'm hitting currently. I'm just getting into tracking all of this. I know my activity level comes into play with this as well, I'm a massage therapist that works 4 days a week and I swing dance 2-3 times a week, with other activities sprinkled in there on occasion such as more dancing, biking, hiking, etc.... Not sure what activity level category that places me in.

You could always try logging for a month or so and see what you average when you eat "normally." That's what I did, it gave me an idea of what I needed to focus on.

Your percentages will be the same regardless of your activity level (although the actual amount you eat will increase when you're more active). But if you're active, you may find you want to eat more carbohydrates or protein -- if you pay attention to how you feel over time with a certain macro distribution, it will help you know if you want to make changes.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure how many calories I should be aiming for.

If you put your goals and stats into MFP, it will give you a goal for calories and macros.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I play with my macros quite a bit, and have found a vegan diet on 50c/30p/20f has been very successful for me as far as weight loss, endurance in the gym, and keeping my hunger satiated. I also aim for 1400 cals/day.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    MFP will estimate your calorie goal for you. That number will almost certainly work for weight loss.

I don't tend to pay attention to my macronutrient balance numbers, I just aim for what feels right in my body.

My diary is open if you want to see what that means for me...but everyone's body is different.

(p.s. if you see eggs or cheese in there, it's because I live with an 11 yo omnivore who doesn't always eat what he thinks he's going to eat. I consider wasting animal products ethically worse than eating them, so...)

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "macros for weight loss" regardless of diet, people lose on a variety of macros. If you've been the same weight for a while, figure out how many calories it is cos that's your current maintenance. Now adjust from there and either eat less or increase your energy expenditure by exercising more, or do a bit of both.