Weight Training - How much is enough?

I'm sure this has been asked on here before, but .....
How do I know if I am doing enough in my workouts?

Currently, I am going to the gym 3 days a week. On 2 of those days, I use 5 different weight machines/cables (for a total of 10 different ones) One the 3rd day, I try to do all 10. I do 3 sets of 12 on each. I set the weights so that by the last set, it's really tough to get through.

I am unable to use free weights due to hypermobility, so I stick with the cables and machines. I also begin every workout with 10 minutes on the elliptical, and end with 15 - 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Is it enough to do each exercise just twice a week? Or do you need to do them more often to get real results?

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Kind of a difficult question to answer without knowing what machines/cables you are doing to make sure you are not neglecting a major muscle group. Have you considered doing a progressive program or training/muscle group splits?

Also "enough" is very subjective. If you feel like you are getting results at this amount, then who should really tell you know what is enough? Enough can be incredibly variable depending on experience level and goals.

So what are your goals and are you seeing progress?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Enough for what? Different ways of lifting...different reps, sets, frequency, volume, etc are all going to have different effects.

My wife does a full body program with her trainer once per week...it is enough for her and her goals which are primarily aesthetic and to have a good base of functional strength...if she wanted to be a body builder or power lifter, it wouldn't be enough.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I do a 40-minute full body program 2-3 times a week. It's been plenty for me! It maintains my lean body mass and gives me the strength I need to not get hurt hiking.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    For general health that is enough as you are doing 75-120 minutes of cardio per week and 3x/week resistance training. But as noted, it depends on what your goals are.
  • MedeaKay
    MedeaKay Posts: 17 Member
    Thank you everyone for the replies.
    I didn't even think about it in terms of actual goals, so I'm glad you all pointed that out! I guess my goals are simply for overall health and a little bit of increased strength.
    So, from what I can gather, I'm probably ok doing what I'm doing for now.

This is my current routine:
    Tuesdays - Seated rows, bicep curls, ab cruncher, leg press, leg extensions
    Thursdays - Lat pull downs, tricep pull downs, obliques machine, leg curls, glute kickbacks
    Sundays - all of the above
    ...And of course, cardio before and after.

It takes me an average of 3 minutes per exercise, counting resting periods.

It's hard to say if I am getting results, because I haven't been doing this for very long. I don't see my muscles really increasing in size, but.... just yesterday I was able to increase the weight on my bicep curls and leg press... so I guess that means I must be getting a little stronger!

Anyway, thanks again for the replies!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Since you can't use free weights - how about bodyweight exercises? If you want to burn calories, for example, I've found cables and machines to be a waste of time. Multiple muscle group movements like burpees are much more effective at torching calories and in a shorter time than anything else. Feel free to tweak, but I do:
    10 x burpees,
    10 x goblet squats
    10 x mason twists
    no rest between exercises, 30 second rest between sets, then repeat.

I run on the off days.

I'll virtually guarantee you'll see results and cut the time down as well.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    It takes a very long time for muscles to get bigger. If you are trying to lose weight that limits the ability of the muscle to grow which just makes it take even longer. If you are getting stronger then you are getting results.

As for Raptor's comment, if the goal is to build strength and maintain/build muscle then you aren't trying to "torch" calories, which you already do anyways with the treadmill and elliptical. Do a progressive lifting program and it can be either on machines, body weight or free weight. While free weights are in general better than machines it isn't worth it if you can't do it safely. There are people here with hypermobility who lift with free weights, but I'm not going to suggest it unless you worked with a physical therapist or equivalent to make sure you can safely perform the moves.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    MedeaKay wrote: »
    I didn't even think about it in terms of actual goals, so I'm glad you all pointed that out! I guess my goals are simply for overall health and a little bit of increased strength.

Thursdays - Lat pull downs, tricep pull downs, obliques machine, leg curls, glute kickbacks

It's hard to say if I am getting results, because I haven't been doing this for very long. I don't see my muscles really increasing in size, but.... just yesterday I was able to increase the weight on my bicep curls and leg press... so I guess that means I must be getting a little stronger!

You don't have a chest or shoulder exercise in there. Maybe look at some machine-based lifting programs so you can structure a workout that hits all muscle groups. Here's a couple of examples:
    https://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=20525
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Obviously modify exercises as needed - you'd do a machine chest press/OHP instead of the barbell in the second link.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    MedeaKay wrote: »

The thing about following the same routine is that over time your body gets used to it and you plateau. Also, varying up your exercises hits your muscles in different ways with different affects. For overall health, you'll be fine with what you're doing but be careful about muscle imbalances. There are more muscles in each body part that may not be hit as hard as others by the exercises that you are doing. For example, the bicep muscle (although one complete muscle is made up of three distinct muscles that form into one) can be hit in different ways. It's good to vary up your lifts after a few weeks to keep from plateauing and shocking the muscles, as well as increasing your weight in a progressive program to increase strength. Also, I don't see any exercises that you're doing that involves the pec muscles (chest exercise). Doing a good chest exercise is good for women, not just to build muscle, but it acts as a natural breast lift or helps keep the underlying muscles and tendons tight helping to prevent the dreaded boob drop.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I do about 35 minutes, 3-4 times per week. And since I like my program, I don't change it up. I'm not trying to be a power lifter or bodybuilder; I just want to feel good and look okay.

But really it depends on your goals. What you're doing sounds fine for basic fitness and a bit of strength.

Keep in mind that most people never lift a weight in their lives, so you're way ahead of the curve.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    For functional strength, freeweights tend to be superior than machines where your body is supported. Who said you can't do freeweights? If you can do the leg press, seated row, etc, you can almost certainly do some freeweight exercises. You may need to work with a good trainer to find which exercises you can do, and how to do them correctly.

By the way, you probably shouldn't do burpees if you're hypermobile. That might injure you. If you need to "torch" calories, simply eat less of them. :+1: