advice on avoiding boredom snacking

Options
aft85
aft85 Posts: 54 Member
since january i've lost 9-10kgs but i'm struggling a bit now because we're getting into the summer break from college and it is so boring. like, food is my go to for time passing. i'm kinda at a loose end.

i'm also quite poor so there's a limit to the activities i can do. The gym costs money too.

anyone got any things that help them through the lunchtime and boredom snacking?

Replies

• jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Honestly when I start to feel like noshing, I log onto MFP and start going through my news feed, reading blog posts or coming on forums here. All you MFP people are inspiring and so strong I love the community I have to back my weight loss goals at the touch of a finger. I get distracted long enough I forget about the food

Also drink 250ml of water wait 15 min and then decide.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    In the early days, I use to keep coffee and nuts by my side so I could deal with the boredom snacking urge, useless cravings and unnecessary hunger.

I also had other strategies such as focusing on work, other interests, the benefits of wt loss.

These days I just go about my days not having to put much effort in controlling my eating behavior.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Get out on a bike or walking or something taking no money.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Get out on a bike or walking or something taking no money.

This^

If you can't get outdoors, there are so many exercise videos on YouTube. Make a playlist of 10 & 15 minute videos. The urge to eat will pass.

http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

Your local library likely has exercise DVDs as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Rewire your brain to associate boredom with something else. It takes time but it's possible. What else, other than eating, do you like to do? Reading? Video games? Painting? Walking? Learning a new language? Anything.. Just give yourself a firm "NO" every time you try to eat out of boredom. At first you will barter with yourself, feel anxious, feel empty, but if you stubbornly insist on your "NO" and reliably replace eating with doing that thing of choice every single time, as time passes it becomes easier and that other thing becomes your go-to.

When I quit smoking, chemical dependence is one thing, but those habits and associations related to smoking like doing it at certain times, with certain things, when feeling a certain way, those were the hardest to overcome. I felt like my life would not be the same, but surprisingly after a few months I went out for coffee with a friend and I didn't even think about it or felt like I needed it even though she was smoking right next to me. As if this coffee+cigarette association was now replaced with playing with sugar packets, and it feels just as satisfying.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    try some boredom pushups; great for commercial breaks...also youtube has tons of short yoga videos that are good for passing time. You can do them on your phone if you want to, then you can do yoga on your patio or in the park.