How do you make your sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Best way for me is the poke some holes in them and wrap them individually in a wet/damp paper towel then in the microwave for a few minutes checking on them still you can feel that they are soft. The flesh is soft and mashable, good for anything!
  • DiniGm
    DiniGm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I slice and season them with paprika, sea salt, black pepper and garlic, a bit of extra virgin olive oil and bake them but not too much if you want to mash them.
    In a pan add a little soy milk or almond milk (depending on your preferences), a pinch of nutmeg and one egg yolk if you want to, mix and mash the sweet potatoes in that mix and voilá.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Cut into coins drizzle/spray olive oil on top, bake 28-30 min at 375(maybe?) flip in between and season with salt pepper and thyme.
  • Amanda118118
    Amanda118118 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Use potato peeler to make long thin strips, spray with low cal spray, (add any spice if preferred) bake in oven to make the best crisps. Kids call them crispy snakes as they wiggle as they cook.
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Look up crash hot sweet potatoes . I just use the mix of spices minus sugar and reduce butter/oil and then prepare as stated or just toss the seasoning mix w/ cubed sweet potatoes and roast. Even the kids will gobble them up.
  • Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Microwave. Take them out. Put them on a plate. Just 3 steps in the process.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried sweet potato toast? Supposedly you slice long ways and just put the slices in a toaster? I saw this on TV while waiting to pick up something at a store....
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think baking them in the oven produces a much sweeter flavor than the microwave. If you don't have an hour for the oven, you can start the process in the microwave then finish them in the oven. Seriously better flavor. My go-to with mashed sweet potatoes is a dash of chili powder and salt..no butter needed, but of course it's delicious if you do. Pair with black beans, fabulous!
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just stick mine in the over at 350 or 375 for as close to an hour as possible and eat as is. It's soooo lovely. Sweet potatoes are the nectar of the gods for me.
  • saramaeprice
    saramaeprice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bake or microwave, peel and mash the flesh. In a frying pan, sauté garlic in a little bacon fat, then add spinach and cook until wilted. Add corn kernels and sauté until hot. Pour over mashed sweet potatoes. Add salt and pepper as desired.
  • PaulaAlter1
    PaulaAlter1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love to grill mine. I will either slice them into circles or cut them into wedges, spray with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt, Saigon cinnamon, cumin and Stevia, and then grill.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    kendelllau wrote: »
    Have you tried spiralizing them and baking for 30 min!! So good!

This! SOOO good! I take 100g spiralized sweet potatoes, toss with a teaspoon of olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Or if I want a sweet treat, I toss with a teaspoon of melted butter and some cinnamon sugar. The texture of the baked spirals makes me think I'm eating more than if I eat mashed sweet potatoes too.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    baked (wrapped in tin foil) then served with edamame beans, broccoli, and a low fat Thai peanut sauce. .....mmmmm
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »

This! SOOO good! I take 100g spiralized sweet potatoes, toss with a teaspoon of olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Or if I want a sweet treat, I toss with a teaspoon of melted butter and some cinnamon sugar. The texture of the baked spirals makes me think I'm eating more than if I eat mashed sweet potatoes too.

Will definitely be trying this soon!!
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I throw mine on the grill! Either direct heat for a little char, I cut them up into 1/2 inch slices. I also dice them and put them in Aluminum foil with some seasoning and chicken broth for moisture. These suckers stay hot for the longest time, so break them up to cool them down. Smoked ones are my absolute favorite. They spend time with a pork tenderloin for the day and mmmmmm.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I had sweet potatoes with dinner last night :smiley: Stabbed three of them with a fork, rubbed with a little EVOO and some garlic salt, and nuked them for 9 minutes, turning after every three. They came out perfect!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »

I can't wait to try this tonight! Any tips? Just spiralize and bake at 425 for how long? Preferred seasonings??(: thanks!
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    baked with a 1/2 cup of black beans and a few slices of avocado on top--delish!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I grab one and bring it to work with me. I just poke a few holes in it, wrap it in a wet towel and 6 -7 minutes is usually enough. Then I throw on a lil PB and cinnamon and indulge!!! mmmm!

Is there a microwave involved in this, or do you just cook it with the power of your mind?

I like wedges best. You can just cut the sweet potato into wedges, toss with oil and salt and bake in a hot oven till done, but if you have time, you get better results if you parboil them for 5 min and toss in a bit of flour, then salt and oil, before baking. Nice and crispy.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i poke mine with a fork all around, wrap in plastic wrap, and put in microwave for 6-8 min (depending on size) and then either eat with a little cinnamon or with a little queso on top. sounds weird but it's really good