Carb cycling ?

Options
Hey Guys !

So im currently (have been so from past 77 days) on a "low" card diet, maintaining carbs of about 50 gms - 60 gms a day, fat of about the same about and proteins at 220-300 gms a day. Im a heavy man 320 Pounds, sorry , was 320 and now am 285(ish) and my fitbit shows i burn an average of 3000 cals a day. No additional workout, no weights (as of yet).

I wanted to know if anyone in a similar situation has tried this carb cycling ? if so how did it effect you ? what did you do ?

I am not able to reduce my carbs to lower than 50 and this is mainly from chicken or vegs or fish and stuff. Complete ban of all breads, grains and sodas for 77 days now.

Any other inputs are welcome from anyone who is kind enough to contribute :smile:

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to gain from this plan?
  • swimfan10003000
    swimfan10003000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im a 29 yr old male ! just in case its relevant :smiley:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you carb cyling or calorie cyling? Your diary shows days between 1162, 1189, 1489, 1502, up to 1800 to 1900 and 2000 etc.. calories? I went back a couple of weeks a cannot figure out your calories sequence to loose weight?

And those calories burns are huge? How much do you net a day in calories?

You are doing low carb but not a LCHF fat diet? You are doing High Protein diet? Right?

Is this doctor provided?

• swimfan10003000
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Are you carb cyling or calorie cyling? Your diary shows days between 1189, 1489, 1502, up to 1800 to 1900 and 2000 etc.. calories? I went back a couple of weeks a cannot figure out your calories sequence to loose weight?

And those calories burns are huge? How much do you net a day in calories?

Honestly, all i am doing is Macro counting, trying to be below the 50 gms carb and 50 gms fat and try to reach 300 gms of proteins. I have never counted calories. The day i do more carbs thats the day my cals shoot up. I target a max of 1700 cals a day and make sure im not hungry at any time and also take in 30gms of fiber (husk). I dont re-eat the calories burnt.

The caloric burns are from my fitbit and my daily steps a day (averaging at 5000 aiming to do 10000 atleast 3 days a week). I take stairs all times and i do at least 10 floors a day(office is a *kitten* on a high tower haha) I dont trust the caloric adjustments in MFP so unless i do specific exercise i dont pay much heed to the burns.

Feel fine and hope im on the right track when i heard that i need to "cycle" my carbs. When i saw my diary it looked like it was happening automatically when i took in extra vegs and meals. But i dont have much clarity on this. Hence needed some guidance.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well the low calories on days that are under the MFP guidliness for a male of 1500 calories are alarming to me for one.

And carb cycling does not work like this and your daily calories are all over the place. First you should choose if you want low carb and if you do, then this what you call low carb/high fat. Your fuel source is from fats. This is a lower protein diet.

If you want to cycle carbs (for get the LCHF diet), then you will eat higher amounts of carbs (moderate amount) on higher days and lower on lower days.. But you need a consistent calorie structure/number of calories each day.. you are not following a good structure to me at all.

How did you come about or learn about this way of eating?

There is a net amount of calories you should reach each day. From what I can see you are only doing on most days low calorie diets.

But if you are loosing weight, you are comfortable with what you are doing from an energy balance standpoint, then do not change it. It just looks a little strange or let me say indifferent, except the LOW calorie days! You need to address this part for safe and healthy weightloss..

• swimfan10003000
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Well the low calories on days that are under the MFP guidliness for a male of 1500 calories are alarming to me for one.

And carb cycling does not work like this and your daily calories are all over the place. First you should choose if you want low carb and if you do, then this what you call low carb/high fat. Your fuel source is from fats. This is a lower protein diet.

If you want to cycle carbs (for get the LCHF diet), then you will eat higher amounts of carbs (moderate amount) on higher days and lower on lower days.. But you need a consistent calorie structure/number of calories each day.. you are not following a good structure to me at all.

How did you come about or learn about this way of eating?

There is a net amount of calories you should reach each day. From what I can see you are only doing on most days low calorie diets.

But if you are loosing weight, you are comfortable with what you are doing from an energy balance standpoint, then do not change it. It just looks a little strange or let me say indifferent, except the LOW calorie days! You need to address this part for safe and healthy weightloss..

Thanks a tonne for taking your time and letting me know . I was one , but i will try to find out a little more and restructure my diet. Its hard for me to maintain a stable caloric intake on account of my lifestyle. I travel lot. So i depend on protein shakes and chicken breast and wherever i see greens and veges i just gulp them down.

This was recommended to me by one by my nutritionist friend but we haven't stayed in touch.

Since im not exercising i may not be feeling that pinch. May be the things will be different when i begin to workout.

Again, thanks a tonne. i'll go over my diet style again and adjust it.
  • swimfan10003000
    Options
    What are you hoping to gain from this plan?

I guess a more sustaining and long term healthy weight loss ? Dont want to be back here. Lost decent amount of weight over past 2.5 months. Want to keep that going.