Stay At Home Moms, HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• mbrentonmb
    mbrentonmb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am not a stay at home mom. I'm on mat leave but I do have a little advice to offer... I absolutely refuse to keep my cheat foods in the house. I'm an emotional eater and I live to find a reason to eat and chocolate is my down fall. I know what it's like to be busy and grab something quick so try to keep only healthy snacks. I buy mini carrots and hummus and I love yogurt. That's all. And allow your self a treat once in a while. That's ok. Good luck!!
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    AuthenticallyAmanda Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    danhib wrote: »
    I'm a stay at home Dad if that helps. I do my kids different foods to what I eat. They have cereal I eat oats. I eat a lot of salads, they also like salad & eat a lot of fruits. It is hard when you cook them something you want to eat, if I have to eat it I'll make sure I go out for a long walk afterwards & use the Endomondo app. Start with a good breakfast is the best tip. I have oats or if you eat eggs I have about 3 scrambled on whole meal toast. It will fill you for longer & you'll feel less peckish through the day

Thank you! Awesome advice.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    During the day I eat differently from them but both my kids nap so I eat a better lunch then. I'll probably just deal with whatever when that is done. My big thing was letting go of eating what they were or what they didn't finish. We all eat the same dinner so that helps.
  • adawn1981
    adawn1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to a 2 year old and a 1 year old. I'm an emotional eater and I struggle with snacking because I'm so stressed and tired. My 1 year old is still up several times a night. I'd love tips! I've got about 10 pounds to lose.
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sahm mom to a 5 year old and a 1 year old who im still nursing. I have been off track so long now. Every day i say tomorrow.. Ugh. Need to lose 30 more lbs. I have lost 50 already.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm also a SAHM. Most of my kids are older, but my youngest is 2. What's tripping you up? I don't think it's necessary to make separate foods. My older kids make breakfast and lunch for themselves, but my toddler often eats my food. I typically eat the same foods every day, or at least plan out all of my food in advance. It's much easier when I know exactly what I'm going to eat and I don't have to think about it. I don't really prep meals in advance, except for freezing individual portions of chicken breast for my lunches, I just keep it simple.

My portion control is horrible. Also have to count calories when making a meal is super tedious. I sometimes think of just getting frozen meals for me like weight watchers. What are some examples of quick meals you make?

I'm sorry, I missed this. One thing that helps is if you eat the same things often, and you make it the same way every time, you don't have to figure out the calories every time. For example, every morning I eat 2 slices of bacon (the same brand), 1 jumbo fried egg, and 1/2 a serving of grits. (I crumble the bacon up and mix it all together. SO GOOD! And filling.) Since I eat that a lot, I don't have to figure it out every time. I have it saved as a meal in MFP, so I just add the whole meal and there are my calories.

For lunch, I have a few things I like. I do grilled chicken breasts with hot sauce and ranch (actually some that I make myself by dumping a packet of ranch mix into a large container of Greek yogurt, much fewer calories than regular ranch and IMHO tastes even better). Or I mix 1 can of tuna with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Sometimes this really good chicken salad that is chunks of grilled chicken, avocado, Greek yogurt, and lime juice all mixed together. All of these things are saved as meals in MFP, so all I have to do is make sure I make them the same way every time (or weigh the meat and adjust it in my diary). This does mean you have to weigh / measure all of your ingredients every time, but just think of it like following a recipe to make sure it comes out right.

For portion control, I try to stay under 400 calories each for breakfast and lunch. (Which, with exercise, hopefully leaves me about 800 calories for dinner.) If I am not feeling full on that, I change what I'm eating. I was having fruit and yogurt for breakfast, and left always feeling hungry. So I switched to the bacon, eggs, and grits, and the increased fat and protein makes a huge difference. I was eating sausage and a small piece of very rich cheese for lunch, but it was NOT filling. I can eat a much larger piece of chicken for the same calories. For a snack, I keep around these 100 calorie bags of popcorn.