I need advice!

Options
Ok so I have been working out for 3 years straight. When I started working out I lost 20 pounds! Yet this past year I've been slowly gaining back weight. I exercise twice a day. In the morning I run for about 5 miles. Then at night I do light weights. I'm pretty sure it's my diet that's been getting me. Yet still I eat under my recommend calories for the day and still gain weight. I'm so frustrated! Should I continue to work out like this?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough and your body thinks you are starving it. Since you don't have your diary open, it's hard to tell.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough and your body thinks you are starving it. Since you don't have your diary open, it's hard to tell.

No. Starvation mode is a myth. If it were true, no one would ever starve to death.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you are certain you aren't eating more or burning less and you are gaining then I'd suggest making an appointment with your doctor to check for metabolic/hormonal disorders.

If you aren't certain of your calories you might want to try meticulously tracking your calories for a bit.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all solid foods with a scale?
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    flower342 wrote: »
    Ok so I have been working out for 3 years straight. When I started working out I lost 20 pounds! Yet this past year I've been slowly gaining back weight. I exercise twice a day. In the morning I run for about 5 miles. Then at night I do light weights. I'm pretty sure it's my diet that's been getting me. Yet still I eat under my recommend calories for the day and still gain weight. I'm so frustrated! Should I continue to work out like this?

What has changed in the past year? Are you in college, sitting at a desk all day, or possibly pregnant? If you were more active between your workouts 3 years ago but now sit at a desk or spend hours behind the computer studying it would impact your total daily energy expenditures.

It's probable that you're underestimating your calorie intake. Remember that fried foods,breaded foods, gravies, and sauces are pretty high in calories. If you drink alcohol, especially at parties, it's nearly impossible to keep track of the amount of calories consumed but the amounts are almost always extraordinarily high.

There are many reasons why the weight is now creeping back but only you can figure out why. Take some time to figure out what has changed in the past three years. Your daily exercise is great so there's probably something off in your calorie calculations.
  • flower342
    flower342 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! How do I open my diary to public so you can see my diary??
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    How much exactly have you gained and how much do you want to lose?
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't listen to any of that starvation nonsense! This isn't the Sudan!

In looking at your diary you're eating a lot of junk...ie: sweets, refined carbs, fast foods and not much fiber at all. Try tightening up what your intake is to fruits, veggies, 'whole' grains and keep away from all the processed stuff full of salt. Just because something is low-fat or low-calorie doesn't mean it's good for you. Weigh everything and see if that helps. This will also help you get through those two-a-day workouts.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    flower342 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! How do I open my diary to public so you can see my diary??

Settings > Diary Settings > Public
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Why do people still say this on every thread? It's not true. We all know it's not true.

Especially from someone with over 7,000 posts, and has obviously been around for a while.
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You're probably building muscle and that's why you aren't weighing any less
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    danhib wrote: »

If OP is eating at a deficit, it's highly unlikely she is adding muscle weight.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    danhib wrote: »

No. While she could be retaining water for muscle repair from exercise, there isn't significant muscle increase while eating at a caloric deficit.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    From your diary I see that your sodium levels are unusually high but I don't see many items that are potassium rich. I would guess that if you weigh yourself in the mornings that you lost some weight on June 6th and 7th because your sodium consumption was much less than your average. Check out http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much-sodium-make-gain-weight-11695.html and consider monitoring/increasing your potassium levels and adding a B-6 vitamin to your diet. I do believe you've also gained muscle weight even though you're in a calorie deficit because of your conscientious morning runs. That is good! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Most likely your logging is/has been a little off, or you have decreased NEAT (non-exercise activity).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, is your picture current? If you are already a healthy weight and have a small amount to lose, you don't have much wiggle room.

Weight loss is mostly diet-related. It is way easier to unknowingly eat 200 extra calories than it is to burn 200 cals through exercise.
    If you aren't using a food scale, give it a try. Cups and tablespoons are not exact, and the number of servings listed on packaged food can be off as well. When I started weighing out most of my portions, I learned I was eating 200-300 more cals than I thought, which was negating my deficit. It was an eye opener! Good luck :drinker: