Beginner for weight loss help

Options
I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to all things diet and exercise and need some help to get on the right track! I am 19y/o 5'4 and weigh just under 12 stone, dress size large 10-12 uk. My goal is to get to a small size 8 as soon as possible and tone up big time! At the moment I have my goal of 1200 calories which I have been reaching everyday for the past week and I've also done 30-40 minutes on the bike as well as a 20 minute dog walk every other day. My job involves some walking and I have about 3,000 up to 6000 steps most days. Am I on the right track to losing the weight I need or is there anything I should be doing differently? Thanks anyone who can help :)

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Sounds OK in general - what is your goal weight, and what are you aimingtolose per week? You are my height but 2 stone lighter, so you are probably within two or three stone of your target, I'm guessing?

Don't try and lose too fast, there is no rush and you are more likely to keep the weight off if you lose it slower. Remember the hard part is not losing the weight, it's maintaining it, and some of the changes you make to lose will have to become permanent if you're going to keep it off. So you have to be able to live with it - that means finding a way to fit in sweets, treats and meals out.

That's a lot of exercise, which is great, but on a calorie allowance of 1200 I would advise you to log that exercise and eat at least some of the calories you earn, otherwise your intake may go too low and you may end up burning out and quitting.

And lastly, read read read these forums, there are loads of great tips here on healthy weight loss, hunger management, exercise and loads more. The archives here are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck! Good for you for tackling your weight at a young age - if you read up, take it slow and really commit, you could have this sorted for a lifetime and avoid the yo-yo dieting pattern which is so common and so miserable.
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You doing like you are doing the right thing. Try small changes in your diet. Breakfast is the best way to start, try oats or eggs & you're less likely to pick at things through the day. Working all your muscles is the best way for the weight to go quicker. Working your bigger muscles will burn more calories
  • juiceburst8
    juiceburst8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've only recently joined MFP as well but everyone is supportive. I definitely agree with CattOfTheGarage read the forums on here. They are very helpful and full of supportive people. The recipe ideas that people provide are also a great way of changing things so you don't get stuck in the same routine.

I also think its helpful to log what you eat and what exercise you do because then you can keep track of it and you know whats working and whats not.

Good luck in your weight loss journey, it's going to be tough but stick at it and you can do it :smile:
  • bella0962
    bella0962 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you CattOfTheGarage so helpful! I'm probably aiming somewhat 9/10 stone but I just really want to keep going until I'm happy with my body. :) it's good to know that what I'm doing is enough, I was worried I was still not doing enough exercise. Thank you for every ones comments.