Advice from runners

Options
So I used to run (treadmill) problem was I loved it and so I just went at it hard core regardless of the fact that at that time I was 309 pounds and did too much too soon and ended up with injuries and so I quit running. I missed it sooo much. Anyways I'm down 50 pounds so far and I started getting up at 440 before my kids and hubby and I have been doing brisk walks. Then I decided that 3 days a week I would add slow jogging intervals in the walks. I want to start running again so this time I am taking things super super slow to avoid injury. Anyways my question is I live in Saskatchewan and when winter comes it gets super cold (like super cold!) And obviously it'll be pitch black at 440am in the winter. I don't want to run on my treadmill Cuz it's basically a piece of crap right now and I don't trust it but I don't want to lose the progress I will be making running by stopping over the winter. Do you guys still run when it's freezing cold out? When it's pitch black? What do I wear? And how do I avoid falling on my *kitten* due to slippery conditions.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yup. :-)

wkbxvnteu7d0.jpg

Dress in layers. Seek advice from other local runners and visit your local running store. They have all kinds of stuff to keep you warm and upright.

Also, I will recommend using a program like Couch to 5k or find a local beginners running program. This will help keep you on a plan that will prevent injury.

Good luck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A headlight for pitch blackness!
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a headlight and maybe get more reflective gear. Get good shoes from your local running store too. They should be able to get you fitted for the support you need based on your running form. Take your time and DEFINITELY don't rush it if it's a risk of being icy out and make sure you stretch!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    It's June.
    Continue your training. Follow a set plan.
    Then, when winter comes again, do workout DVDs at the same intensity your would run/walk to keep your cardio abilities. Then when spring comes along, you will just need a week or 2 and BAM ! You're there !

I live in MOntreal and that's what I do :)
    Hope this helps ! :smile:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Fellow Prairie Canadian here and once we get into the three-feet-of-snow, ice-on-every-surface, minus-30-windchill part of winter I do not run outside. It's not fun anymore no matter how many layers I put on. I have great gear and cover every inch of my skin but honestly, there is a point where your eyelashes are covered in ice from your breath getting them wet and then freezing and you're hobbling along trying not to slip and the wind is slicing through your ski mittens and it's just not worth it for me.

I got a gym membership and I hit the treadmill every morning until the sidewalks are reasonably clear and I don't have to wear three layers of pants and my ski jackets and a balaclava.

I have some of those cheap stretchy covers (like Yak Trax?) that you pull over your shoes that are little ice cleats and I do wear them sometimes on warmer days for short outdoor runs if it's icy, but they're not foolproof and I'm clumsy so they're not a great solution.

When I have run outside in -30 type temperatures, I've done it in merino long underwear, warm sweatpants, and waterproof shell pants (or the long underwear and my ski pants if it's really bad). On top, I do a merino undershirt and ski jacket as mine is very good. I wear one of those fleece face/head/neck covers with just a long oval hole for your eyes, sunglasses (so my eyes have a little protection from the wind), a toque on top of that, my warmest ski mittens (never gloves) and a pair of waterproof Nikes that I bought too big so I can shove two pairs of hiking socks in as well.

(I've never tried them running, but when I ski I use those disposable hand and foot warmer packs and those might be an option too...pricey though if you're using them daily.)

And then I try to keep it to around 3 miles so my toes and nose don't freeze off. But it is SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE for me to just treadmill when it's much below freezing. I just don't think you have to suffer that much for the sake of running outside, plus I like to get at least one long run in every week and I can't do that without worrying my toes are going to get frostbitten outdoors.
  • peleroja
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

wkbxvnteu7d0.jpg

Dress in layers. Seek advice from other local runners and visit your local running store. They have all kinds of stuff to keep you warm and upright.

Also, I will recommend using a program like Couch to 5k or find a local beginners running program. This will help keep you on a plan that will prevent injury.

Good luck.

As you appear to be wearing a sweatshirt in that photo, I'm guessing that you're not experiencing dead of winter Saskatchewan cold. Good advice though :)
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @peleroja - it's great to get info from a fellow prairie dweller. These winters are brutal and the thought of running in that or in the pitch black is a little off putting but I also really enjoy running so I'm not sure how to tackle this. In my minds eye in have visions of myself finally being able to run miles and miles and miles so I don't want to break more than necessary over the winter. I guess I'll just get proper gear for winter and go out when I can. I know it's only June and I'm getting ahead of myself but I like to be prepared and have a plain.

Thanks to everyone else as well for all the advice. It is much appreciated! :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    fu248grqfc38.jpg

I run outside all year 'round here in Ottawa.

The key is layers. For really, really cold days (below -30C) I'll wear a light merino wool base layer and winter weight tights for my legs (best place to shop I've found is Mountain Equipment Co-op - my base layer & tights were actually made in Canada!) For my torso the merino wool base layer with a long sleeve tech t-shirt and polartec fleece top all covered by a running shell (the Running Room special, I'm po'ed with them though as they discontinued a couple of the really high-viz colours). For my head just an appropriate toque and a balaclava. Feet.....merino wool socks and regular running shoes (I like the wool as it stays warm even if it gets wet)

For milder days ditch the balaclava and wear a lighter weight fleece top under the shell.

The hardest part I found was gloves. I found heavier ski gloves were way too warm and most "running" gloves too light. I settled on a pair of the Columbia gloves with the reflective lining.

It'll take a little trial and error as everyone has slightly different cold tolerance (I used to dive with a guy who would wear a 3mm shorty wetsuit in the St Lawrence when the rest of us were wearing 7mm wetsuits or drysuits) you should feel a little chilly when you start your run....you will warm up (see the sweat pacthes on my jacket during this January race....)

lmenuvwd2iqi.jpg

As to not falling on your butt.......shorten your stride, your forward foot should never extend past your hips by much (which develops really good running mechanics) and if it's icy get a pair of yak traks (or google putting small machine screws into your running shoe treads)

Have fun & help promote the idea that we Canadians are crazy!

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I live in the high elevations of Wyoming, and I'll only run outside if the roads and sidewalks are clear. I do use my treadmill for running, but only every other day. I also worked into running by the C25K app, and still use it for treadmill, just kick up the speed when it tells me to. The winters here are harsh and I've frozen my nostrils shut running in the cold, it's dark when I get off of work, and I don't want to cause be hit by anyone. I'm staying safe by keeping it inside. I also do some other running apps for my running days. And I'm agreeing that Canadians are crazy. :D
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

wkbxvnteu7d0.jpg

Good luck.

As you appear to be wearing a sweatshirt in that photo, I'm guessing that you're not experiencing dead of winter Saskatchewan cold. Good advice though :)

You have no idea what I had on underneath that :smile:

That particular day the temp was 18 degrees F (according to Garmin) and the winds were hitting 30 MPH along the river. Not quite the weather you guys deal with but still pretty darn cold.
  • peleroja
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

wkbxvnteu7d0.jpg

Good luck.

You have no idea what I had on underneath that :smile:

That particular day the temp was 18 degrees F (according to Garmin) and the winds were hitting 30 MPH along the river. Not quite the weather you guys deal with but still pretty darn cold.

We consider that just about tee shirt weather in the winter :lol:

(Of course, when I say "we", I mean "my fellow prairie dwellers" because I have zero cold tolerance and thus wear a calf-length -60 cold-rated down parka and heavy-duty Sorels from November to April...but if it's above -10C here in winter, people seem to consider that a heat wave in my city and go outside in shirtsleeves and sandals, and I wish I was exaggerating. Crazy, the lot of them.)
  • jenmek
    jenmek Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I lived in NY, on icy runs, I'd use older sneakers and screwed in hex-head sheet metal screws. They turned my running sneakers into cleats. Worked very well !
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm from Winnipeg and know what the winters are like in Saskatchewan. There are these rubber type bands that fit around your running shoe that work really well. Costco usually starts to sell them in the fall and maybe wal-mart. They fit snug around any runner you have and they have these very tiny spikes on the bottom almost like what you would see on studded tires. I always use them in the winter and you will never slip on ice. For me they don't affect my running at all even on the concrete. Good luck to you.
  • peleroja
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    I'm from Winnipeg and know what the winters are like in Saskatchewan. There are these rubber type bands that fit around your running shoe that work really well. Costco usually starts to sell them in the fall and maybe wal-mart. They fit snug around any runner you have and they have these very tiny spikes on the bottom almost like what you would see on studded tires. I always use them in the winter and you will never slip on ice. For me they don't affect my running at all even on the concrete. Good luck to you.

Those are the same ones I have from Costco :) They're all right but I find they do slip off my shoes sometimes, but that might be because I wear a ladies 5.5/6 and that's on the small end of what they're supposed to fit into. If you've got smaller feet like me it might be worth looking for kids' ones instead.