edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Diary located at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/sirk3n

Would appreciate if there are any suggestions that will improve my diet

Thanks all in advance :smiley:

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for nutritional or weight loss advice?

I only looked at a couple of days, yesterday is over and today's not done. The big standout is that you're not weighing food with a food scale, which has a big impact if weight loss is your goal.

If you're looking for advice on macros and stuff I'll leave that for someone else.
  • sirk3n
    sirk3n Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I only looked at a couple of days, yesterday is over and today's not done. The big standout is that you're not weighing food with a food scale, which has a big impact if weight loss is your goal.

If you're looking for advice on macros and stuff I'll leave that for someone else.

I'm basically cutting down my weight. I am 165 now, I want to be at 160 then build muscles from there.

Yes, I am aware, my calories went over 2 days ago but I guess, I'll get that back when I do cardio i.e Basketball for an hour or so?
  • MissusMoon
    Options
    sirk3n wrote: »

I'm basically cutting down my weight. I am 165 now, I want to be at 160 then build muscles from there.

Yes, I am aware, my calories went over 2 days ago but I guess, I'll get that back when I do cardio i.e Basketball for an hour or so?

The key is in your calories. I'd invest a few dollars in a digital food scale and weigh ALL solids and even semi-solids (yogurt, condiments) with it. Even packaged foods. You can be eating hundreds more calories than you think.
  • sirk3n
    Options

The key is in your calories. I'd invest a few dollars in a digital food scale and weigh ALL solids and even semi-solids (yogurt, condiments) with it. Even packaged foods. You can be eating hundreds more calories than you think.

Really? I usually just go by the nutrition facts label on the product? That's pretty accurate no?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Really? I usually just go by the nutrition facts label on the product? That's pretty accurate no?

The label will tell you what is in the product, but it can't tell you how much you're actually eating. That is what the scale is for. Knowing 100 grams of a product has 200 calories isn't helpful unless you know how much of it you're actually eating.
  • MissusMoon
    Options

Nope. I'll give you two examples that are recent for me. I buy these thin sandwich rolls. Serving size is one roll/43 grams for 100 calories. Problem is, every roll weighs 48 grams or more. During the work week that's an extra 100 calories I wouldn't know I was consuming if I didn't weigh. Another packaged food said calories per serving 130, number of servings "about 2". There were well over 3 servings in that package. I would have over consumed 150 calories from that one single thing alone that day if I hadn't weighed it.

Cups are not uniform. Spoons are not uniform to the labels either. Ask anyone on MFP what a serving of peanut butter really is by weight. It's shocking.

You can't know what you're consuming unless you weigh it. If you don't have a lot to lose you don't have much margin for error.
  • sirk3n
    Options

Nope. I'll give you two examples that are recent for me. I buy these thin sandwich rolls. Serving size is one roll/43 grams for 100 calories. Problem is, every roll weighs 48 grams or more. During the work week that's an extra 100 calories I wouldn't know I was consuming if I didn't weigh. Another packaged food said calories per serving 130, number of servings "about 2". There were well over 3 servings in that package. I would have over consumed 150 calories from that one single thing alone that day if I hadn't weighed it.

Cups are not uniform. Spoons are not uniform to the labels either. Ask anyone on MFP what a serving of peanut butter really is by weight. It's shocking.

You can't know what you're consuming unless you weigh it. If you don't have a lot to lose you don't have much margin for error.

Got it! Thanks a lot for clarifying it!
  • MissusMoon
    edited June 2016
    Options

Got it! Thanks a lot for clarifying it!

You're welcome! If I may, giant kudos to you for listening! I hope you get better results soon!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough!
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Weighing peanut butter !!!! Holy hell...that didn't even cross my mind !!! I better start doing that ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Weighing peanut butter !!!! Holy hell...that didn't even cross my mind !!! I better start doing that ;)

Be prepared for.... Sadness!
    I'd weigh butter and anything calorie dense, too. I weigh absolutely everything...everything.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I always weigh out my two servings... and then proceed to eat half of the jar with a spoon anyway. There is no better way for me to blow my days calories than to see, smell, or taste peanut butter. :'(

Edited because spelling is hard.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a huge let down for us spoon lickers!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Right? Nutella, too.
  • sirk3n
    Options

Johnny, yea? I got my macros results from http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

I'm basically just following what was suggested.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

or us used to just eat it out of jar with spoon :( its so sad
  • sirk3n
    Options

Johnny, why would you say im not eating enough? Any advise?