When To Take Vitamins?

Options
SeasideOasis
SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
A couple weeks ago, I started to take Womens One A Day Metabolism and Fish Oil. The reason I wasn't taking them before was because they make my stomach feel HORRIBLE (whether taken separately or together....I've tried both), almost like I'm going to get physically ill. I'm stuck like this for a least 30-60 minutes. I keep taking them because I know I have to and they are good for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or have also gone through this? I currently take them with a 12 oz Organic Protein drink around 9-ish.

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I wish I could help with that. I know many people who get a little upset stomach from fish oil ones but not the other. I just take mine with my breakfast with water and don't have a problem. But it's just a multivitamin.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Taking pills has always been a struggle for me. Whenever I have tried to get into the routine of taking vitamin pills daily it never works because my physical aversion to swallowing several large pills is too strong. I tried using the chewable chocolate or caramel vitamin squares (can't think of the name of them right now, they come in a purple box), but that didn't work either. I have my vitamins every morning now in a chocolate nutrition shake. Much easier for me.
  • jily310
    jily310 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take the one a day energy in the morning after breakfast. If I do not eat enough, it makes me feel sick too! So I just make sure I eat a big breakfast.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I need to take mine after a meal. That seems to do the trick, for my stomach.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I, too, get an ill stomach from women's one a day unless I take it with a big meal. Maybe try taking it with your biggest meal of the day.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I get sick like that too. Eat breakfast then take them. Morning is best because it makes you feel better for the day, this reminds me I forgot to take mine! That explains why I'm so sleepy lol. You won't be sick if you take them with food and plenty of water =].
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You should take your multivitamin with a meal (no, not some sort of shake, but an actual meal) for the best chance of all the vitamins being absorbed and the least chance of stomach upset.

If the fish oil is baothering you, then maybe you should try krill oil. It's absorbed more quickly and the dosage is much lower, so fewer people experience indigestion or fishy burps. If you have any shellfish allergies, krill might not be a good choice though.
  • eshl1789
    eshl1789 Posts: 2
    Options
    I had the same problem when taking One a Day, only I actually did get sick after taking them if I took them during the day. Even with food I'd get dizzy and sick while standing. I started taking them immediately before bed and it helped me a little bit but I still felt nauseous so I just quit taking them.
  • Roo1026
    Roo1026 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could try taking them right before you go to bed and then you might be able to sleep through the yucky feeling. This is what I had to do while taking vitamins when I was pregnant and had morning sickness!!
  • YogaRunner
    Options
    You should take your multivitamin with a meal (no, not some sort of shake, but an actual meal) for the best chance of all the vitamins being absorbed and the least chance of stomach upset.

If the fish oil is baothering you, then maybe you should try krill oil. It's absorbed more quickly and the dosage is much lower, so fewer people experience indigestion or fishy burps. If you have any shellfish allergies, krill might not be a good choice though.

Research shows that nutrients, vitamins and minerals are best absorbed when taken in whole food form, not pill form. Foods interact with one another in a way that makes the body able to use the nutrients and absorb them properly. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/03/health/03iht-snvitamin.html
    The shake I use is made of whole foods and is sourced from all around the world. This is another reason why I use it in addition to hating to take pills. This is what works for me. Just sharing.
  • TimTamGirl
    TimTamGirl Posts: 20
    Options
    Sometimes it helps to break/split the vitamin in half and take half with breakfast and half with dinner. Always try and drink a full glass of water as well. Good luck :happy:
  • YogaRunner
    Options
    double post, not sure why
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I take my vitamin pill and cod liver pill around midnight too. That way i dont forget, and i dont get the "hmm, have i taken this already today or not?!" debate....
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    I would say in the morning, after breakfast.