What can I do with green cabbage?

Options
I have half a head of green cabbage that I need to eat within the next two days or so. Usually, I put it in a pan with some polish sausage and bell peppers and onions... but I'm out of polish sausage, (which isn't that healthy anyway) and want some new ideas for cabbage. Anybody have simple, yet satisfying ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MisoSoup79
    Options
    I have half a head of green cabbage that I need to eat within the next two days or so. Usually, I put it in a pan with some polish sausage and bell peppers and onions... but I'm out of polish sausage, (which isn't that healthy anyway) and want some new ideas for cabbage. Anybody have simple, yet satisfying ideas? Thanks in advance!
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I shred it and make it into slaw. My slaw is a bit different tho. I use FF sour Cream, Low fat Mayo (equal portions), and Chiptole peppers and a squeeze of lime juice. I eat it with tacos or as a side to anything really. It's super tasty and fresh.
  • stevieg_fan
    Options
    I dice it and put it in tuna with a bunch of other veggies - and only mustard/dill relish for sauce - way yummy - but would be it's good with a mayo sauce as well - I'm just not a big fan of mayo.
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    I would slice it and cook it with some extra lean ground beef (or turkey), some brown rice (precooked) a can of stewed tomatoes and you have lazy-man's cabbage rolls.

YUM! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • Annika
    Annika Posts: 55
    Options
    Cabbage rolls :happy:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage- blanch leaves in boiling water to soften and wrap up rice and ground beef or turkey/chicken and peppers and onion into each leaf then cook in tomato sauce.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    Have any rice? Hamburger or ground turkey? I love cabbage rolls. I've even chopped it up and sauted with chicken and rice, or potatoes. I add onions and garlic to whatever it is I'm making. It feels like a comfort food. Next time you're at the store try some Johnsonville turkey cheddar brats instead of polish sausage. Good Luck!
  • beagle595
    beagle595 Posts: 226
    Options
    You can cook it down in Tomato sauce or Tomato Paste (paste has to be diluted with 2 cans of water -fill the tomato paste can with water for measure.) Add fresh garlic (or garlic powder), onions, salt, pepper, little oregano, some Basil and you will have a tasty dish with very low calories. (I did the same thing last night with my zucchini.) I got a little taste of Pasta Sauce without the calories. (If you don't want to wait so long for it to cook down in the sauce, steam the cabbage first to cook it at least half-way). Enjoy!
  • Dustdevil
    Options
    add it into just about any soup!
  • kfromalaska
    Options
    Saute it in a pan with about 2 tbsp of smart balance, or any other non butter butter. Salt and pepper it and its done! We call it frazzled cabbage in my house. My kids even love it.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    vegetable beef soup (or minestrone if you don't want the beef) Just cut the cabbage into cubes and add with the rest of the veggies.

It's also good just plain steamed and sprinkled with a bit of salt or maybe some butter spray on it.
  • sweetassurance
    Options
    I love cabbage I use it as a toping on my Mexican food recipes.
    I just had some last night on a tostada. I got one tostada put I spoon of smashed beans on it added ½ slice of ham and covered it with shredded cabbage. I then put some avocados slices, tomatoes, and jalapeños on top of it as well as one spoon of sour cream and 1oz. of crumbled Mexican cheese. And last but not least I added one spoon of homemade Mexican salsa. It was delicious.:love: If you want to use less calories you can skip the tostada and the bean part and put the rest of all this on a bowl and enjoy it as a Mexican Salad:happy:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! You have given me lots of ideas... what to try first....?! That's tough.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    vegetable beef soup (or minestrone if you don't want the beef) Just cut the cabbage into cubes and add with the rest of the veggies.

It's also good just plain steamed and sprinkled with a bit of salt or maybe some butter spray on it.

This is what we do...just steam it, and then put some vinegar, salt, and butter on it...delicious...just had that tonight with dinner.
  • AROBBINS
    Options
    Cut up or shred the cabbage, add: enough vegetable broth to cover, 1 sliced onion, a little fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon of Splenda, a dash of soy sauce,pepper sauce(if you like it hot) and simmer in a wok or saucepan for 30-40 minutes.
    Easy and yummy! I sometimes add an apple instead of the Splenda.