"Eating switch"

Options
s0987
s0987 Posts: 22 Member
I've heard on tv shows and movies that "I flipped the eating switch" ...meaning they stated eating junk food and couldn't stop. Is that a real thing? I believe it. Ate cake for a birthday and then it was like game over on all my healthy choices. Tips for bouncing back?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you keep eating more cake or did you stop with one piece?
  • melblades
    melblades Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do the same one taste of chocolate and I can't stop haha why I never buy it
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My son graduated high school. One piece of graduation cake was like ohhhh look! More cake! I just can't do it.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

I avoid sugar (all processed carbs actually) because it is a trigger for me. It apparently don't have this effect on everyone because so many on here say they eat whatever they want. Me...I am a carboholic so I just say no! :D
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    yep...as little as one cookie and suddenly i've eaten a dozen. It's sort of an out of body experience. If I don't eat the cookie or other trigger food, i'm fine. I have control and consciously make food choices, but trigger foods flip that switch...and its totally different game. It's a whole different psychological and physical reaction than even overeating other things. The feeling is like not being fully present in the current moment but being driven by an unseen force to satisfy what the mind or body is demanding at that moment.
  • s0987
    s0987 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all, yeah it's like one bad choice makes me throw away the 2 months of good choices, like a taste is all it takes to remind my brain that it likes junk food
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

I avoid sugar (all processed carbs actually) because it is a trigger for me. It apparently don't have this effect on everyone because so many on here say they eat whatever they want. Me...I am a carboholic so I just say no! :D

I avoid it for the same reasons. Then I don't have any stress or angst :hushed: