What Keeps you Going??

Options
Time after time I have started and failed.... and just for my own motivation...

What keeps you going? What drives you to keep logging, keep exercising and not give up?

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you don't make it hard, there's nothing needed to "drive" you.

10 years ago I followed weight watcher point system. I was much ignorant than now. I succeeded in getting to the top normal bmi range (for a few weeks), but it was unbelievably hard so I inevitably failed and put back the overweight lbs.

• queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had many very unhealthy habbits for many years and got to a point where I realized that I wasn't happy and that my emotional health was directly affected by my physical health. I started making small changes to be healthier and I am still making small changes to be healthier. I want to live a long and happy life, so I need to take care of myself. Motivation can be hard but mostly I have learned to keep my goal of a long happy life in mind and understand that a misstep is not a failure in the end. I don't always log, I come and go as I feel the need to re-calibrate my habits. I would probably lose more if I logged more regularly but for me I need breaks where I let myself maintain for a few months then jump back in to lose a few more pounds. I want to be skinny and supper buff; but more importantly I want to love myself. I think that focusing on that instead of the lbs (though I have lost quite a few of those) is what has made it easy to just have a healthy lifestyle in general.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Health issues, vanity, pride, stubbornness, wanting to feel in control, nice clothes, health, pride, health, pride, better knowledge, ease of use, health, pride...........just a couple of things that come to mind - did I say health and pride?!
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Initially, it was the fact I'm getting married to the Love of my life this August and I want him to be proud of the person I am, inside and out. I wanted to be the weight I was when we first met.

Over time, while I still want to look hot on my wedding day I'm also doing it for my overall health and fitness. I have never been a healthy weight in my adult life and I want to get there. Going to the gym has transformed my life- i can say I'm active now and I have a hobby; before my hobby was the TV and a packet of chocolate!

Oh, and vanity. Lots and lots of vanity. I want people to be jealous of my smoking body. I'm not there yet though, but I'll relish it when I am ;)
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Habits. Motivation is great to getting people started, but like emotions, it fades. You need to force yourself to be consistent for 3 weeks - that's how long it takes to build an unconscious habit. It is not motivation but habit that gets you into the gym after a long day of work. Habit is what makes you brush your teeth every day, say good morning to people, and go to the gym.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've "only" been at this for 46 days, I have a long way to go before I hit my goal weight, but what is keeping me going when I want to quit is my accountability buddy! My cousin and I are the same height and we started around the same weight (5'6", 210-220 lbs). We text in the mornings when we've reached a new goal, send recipes, send progress pics (we've each lost 20 lbs!). She lives a few thousand miles away and we will see eachother in September, I want to be as fit as possible by then!
    Flexible dieting helps as well, I don't label any food as "bad". I eat whatever I feel like, sometimes it's super nutritious, sometimes it's fast food. As long as I'm within my calorie goal I'm good with that : :smile:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Time after time I have started and failed.... and just for my own motivation...

What keeps you going? What drives you to keep logging, keep exercising and not give up?

You might as well keep trying because the time will pass anyway.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    The tears of my enemies - joking of course.

Really - I have a vision, a goal. I keep that in mind and I regularly ask myself "is my goal more important that that beer/donut/extra rest day from the gym. The answer is always yes.
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Every time I look in the mirror, that is motivation. I have to get this weight off and look somewhat normal, not repulsive. At night when I get home and think of snacking, I think of sitting at home alone, because no one wants to be seen with the fat girl or be friends with her. I don't want that anymore, so that is my motivation.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I never knew how much better it truly felt to be in the healthy BMI ranges, and once I got here, there was no looking back. That's how much I love the difference between my body at a healthy weight vs under obesity.
    Also, what @laur357 said. I began weightloss with the goal of making health and fitness my habit. Now, even when things get tough, I still get up and workout and/or plan for an active day. It's just a natural part of my daily rituals now.
    Resiliency and honesty when logging food and exercise and lurking on health forumns/websites keep me strong too.
  • pldavis10
    pldavis10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For me it's two things ...keeping the goal in mind and for me that's knowing that I'm achieving a healthy lifestyle. I'm not at my target weight yet but I'm getting close. But I'm already living the lifestyle that I want to live.

And the second thing is that this lifestyle is 'doable'. It's become something that's easy for me. My calorie deficit is reasonable, I eat more healthy than I used to but still include the foods that I like and the exercise that I do is enjoyable.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Habit. I'm not some superhero with unearthly willpower. I made it a point that I will log every day no matter what or how much I eat, so that's what I do. Having it on display keeps things in perspective. At least when I knowingly overeat I'm fully aware that I will be gaining weight. Sometimes I allow it, knowing I would have to live with the consequences of wasting a week or two of work, but most times it stops me at maintenance.

I'm so used to it I can't imagine myself not logging. It feels weirds when for some reason I don't just like it would be weird not to wash my face in the morning. Can't stop, addicted to the shindig...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    While losing weight, it was the results that I was seeing daily.
    I have been on maintenance for over 2-1/2 years now, and what keeps me going is the goal of reaching 5 years on maintenance. Everything I have read, says that 80% of the people that lose the weight, gain it all (some gain back even more) within 5 years. My motivation now is to be in the 20% that maintain successfully for 5 years.
    For me, it is harder maintaining than it was losing.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was one of those 80% statistics. I was training too hard after I reached my goal and got hurt. I continued to eat like I was when working out hard every day and gained back a bit of weight and by the time that I found myself ready to start working out and training I had no motivation to do so anymore. I ate and continued to gain weight until I reached nearly where I was before.

I was laser focused on a goal and did whatever it took to get there but now I started out this journey differently. I have kids at home and more responsibilities than I had before I no longer have hours a day to devote to working out or even super clean meal prep. So I don't do much of that anymore I cut out soda diet and full flavor which I thought was gonna be impossible but after a week I didn't notice it was gone. I eat a reasonable portion and try never to go back for seconds unless its plant based. I'm lifting weights and running again but its 20 minutes here and there now not 90 minutes a day.

What keeps me going? I can get down on the floor with the kids and not have it hurt getting back up. I actually use the jogging stroller for jogging instead of just wanting big wheels to roll through gravel.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For myself, I have to keep my "why" in the for front of my mind. If I start slipping, its all down hill from there. Losing the same weight that I had lost before. And that got old real damn fast!

But now, I don't do that. I push myself hard. Because, if I don't who will???? I make myself accountable. When I see things changing for the good, I don't want to go back to where I was.

I started Kickboxing over a year and a half ago. This spring, I started training with a personal trainer twice a week. Started seeing more changes, so now I kickbox three or four days a week and lift five to six days a week. Still doing two days with my trainer.

The best thing I did was start with a group of women that texted me when I wasn't at class. It made me feel guilty so I made sure I went every day.

In a nutshell, you have to find what works best for you. It's your journey and only your journey, no one else can do it for you. :wink:

Believe
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The first time, I was in a 3 year relationship, we both gained 30 pounds. After she broke up with me, I needed to lose those 30 pounds to be confident to get back in the dating scene.

I got married 5 years later to a different woman, and over the next 10 years, had kids, and slowly gained it back, plus some.

This second time, I'm doing it because of my health and pain. I have 50 pounds to lose. I lost 33 already - 17 to go. I had weekly back pain, daily foot pain, didn't really like moving around. I wanted to play with my daughter, but had a tough time playing. I could only do it for 10 minutes at a time, then needed rest. It was hard running with her to help her learn to ride a bike.

After having lost 33 pounds, all those pains are over with. I now ENJOY going for a walk and not sitting. Now my goal is to become more athletic and get the rest of this fat off of me, so I can enjoy life even more.

I'm also doing it because of a new baby on the way - in July. I was scared 6 months ago that I would gain even MORE weight after the baby was born, because I'll be around the house all the time, that I HAD to get the weight off before the baby was born. I was having a struggle doing things, and really wanted to be able to roll around on the floor and play with my new son, so this was a big motivation as well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its takes a while to form new and better habits.... it took me 3 weeks to get into the habit of working out each morning, 4 years on I'm still working out every week day morning.
    The same goes with eating better, we make small changes over a period of time and before you know it, they become the norm :smile:

Its worth it to look after ourselves and get to a healthy weight - I know I'm glad I stuck with it :smile: