Wisdom tooth extractions - what did you eat?

Options
malioumba
malioumba Posts: 132 Member
I am getting my four wisdom teeth removed today, I assume i won't be able to eat solids for at least a week, I am wondering what you'all ate during the first several days when you couldn't handle solids?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I ate mashed beans with avocado and sour cream, puréed soups (broccoli/cheese, lentil, split pea, cream of zucchini, cream of mushroom, butternut squash, etc). Honestly I didn't eat much because I was loopy from the pain meds, lol. I had to stay with my parents so they could help me with my baby at the time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Pain pills and ice cream, milk shakes, soup, mashed potatoes.. you name it, if it looks like baby food, you can eat it just fine.
  • opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Commenting to see what others suggest! I get mine out in a few weeks.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Pain pills and ice cream, milk shakes, soup, mashed potatoes.. you name it, if it looks like baby food, you can eat it just fine.

^^ This..

I just had one yanked 4 days ago - which is VERY different than all 4 at once. That being said - applesauce, mushy oatmeal, homemade smoothies (healthy ones for protein, etc...), soup.

Nothing too hot or too cold.

Good luck, I can't imagine having all 4 done at once. I know what 1 has done to me. The worst part is not feeling like exercising. Was just given the OK yesterday to do so but wasn't up to it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I was given a small list / criteria of food to avoid, and ate everything else. From what I recall, Mainly they didn't want me eating anything too hard, too hot or cold. I was fairly surprised I didn't have to eat almost blender food for like a week, which is what I went into it expecting
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I drank a six pack after my surgery - back when I could do that!
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Most of what was listed above already. Do beware of any kind of spices/etc in food though. My aunt was taking care of me the day I got my first two out since my parents were working, and there was applesauce with cinnamon in it. That burned.

Macaroni was also fine once it cooled down since it's relatively soft. If you're only getting one side out (or one side at a time) this might work because you can definitely chew soft foods on the other side with only a little soreness. With all four that might be harder.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had one out after it got abcessed. After that I think I lived on nutrition shakes for a few days. Got the other three out later, I remember Campbell's chicken and stars soup, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, and pudding.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't use it as an excuse to eat ice cream and milk shakes, IMO. Totally unnecessary...

I had two impacted teeth removed 2 years ago and ate

scrambled eggs
    butternut squash soup (or other blended veggie soups - room temperature and no tomatoes)
    ground meat
    mashed potatoes/carrots
    protein cheesecake
    pancakes
    sausage
    refried beans
    yogurt
    applesauce
    brie cheese
    whole wheat bread (soft crust)
    fish is great too
    and protein shakes of course (just don't use a straw)

It took me 2 weeks to be able to even eat soft veggies. It was pretty awful. I looked like a hamster and had bruises all over my cheeks.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had all four of mine out at once as well. I ate scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, pureed soups, fruit smoothies and shakes, pudding cups, and apple sauce for about 3 days, then gradually moved up to more solid foods.

ETA:I just looked back at my food diary. It looks like I was back to normal eating in about a week. I had mine out on April 22, 2015 if you feel like looking at my diary to see what I ate and how I was able to transition back to solid food. Also, I was told not to exercise for two weeks because of the risk of a blood clot dislodging. You probably already know that though.

Good luck! It's wasn't as bad as I was told it would be!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I haven't had wisdom teeth removed, but my wife has. She was eating Cheetos later in the day. :shrug:
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I ate jello, cream of wheat, smoothies, ice cream. Took my meds and slept.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had two done at once...I ate applesauce later in the day of the extraction, and the next day I was able to carefully chew some solids with my front teeth. I didn't bother with any strong pain meds because it really didn't hurt after the numbness wore off; there was just some soreness and discomfort in feeling the hollowness back there.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I had all four of mine out at once as well. I ate scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, pureed soups, fruit smoothies and shakes, pudding cups, and apple sauce for about 3 days, then gradually moved up to more solid foods.

ETA:I just looked back at my food diary. It looks like I was back to normal eating in about a week. I had mine out on April 22, 2015 if you feel like looking at my diary to see what I ate and how I was able to transition back to solid food. Also, I was told not to exercise for two weeks because of the risk of a blood clot dislodging. You probably already know that though.

Exactly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

It was worse for me. But they were impacted, I was 36, and I bruise easily, so yeah...
  • 46HealthyMe
    46HealthyMe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My daughter had hers out last month and she ate Mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, yogurt, applesauce and drank chocolate milk
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i drank a lot of ensure/boost nutritional drinks because the only thing i wanted was chicken broth so they helped round out lost nutrition/macros.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It was worse for me. But they were impacted, I was 36, and I bruise easily, so yeah...

yup it sucked for me. All four were impacted and they had to break everyone like 10 times before they could get them out. I also hate pain bills so i had to suck it up besides the little tylenol did lol. Some people are fine and some people its rough.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Just to make you laugh, because I had two impacted ones removed when I was 16 - my diet was Demerol, kool-aid, soup and on day 5 I ate uncooked brownie mix because I was craving sweets.

Yo do want to avoid anything carbonated, and don't use a straw - you really don't want to deal with dry sockets.
  • fishshark
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Just to make you laugh, because I had two impacted ones removed when I was 16 - my diet was Demerol, kool-aid, soup and on day 5 I ate uncooked brownie mix because I was craving sweets.

Yo do want to avoid anything carbonated, and don't use a straw - you really don't want to deal with dry sockets.

haha brownie mix. one time i mixed brownie mix and rocky road ice cream ans baked it. it didnt work lol...

ohhhh dry sockets just reminds me of having to stick that syringe in the sockets to flush out food. if i hadent had braces 3 times i woulda let those wisdom teeth join the party.