Confused....focus on calorie limit per day or carb limit per day

Options
Lovechaz2
Lovechaz2 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that watching your calorie intake per day is important, but now I'm confused. I am following a 1,300 calorie diet with some exercising. So for example my breakfast would be 1 pkt of oatmeal or 1 c of Raisin Bran, but was informed that that was way too many carbs. I limit my white carb intake, but now I don't know to to focus on. I thought I was doing right by not going over my calorie limit per day and getting in exercise. Now this has become more perplexing. So everything is not only paying attention to calories, which may be a low calorie food item, but then the carbs may not be right. Please help! I'm stressing on this and need to get it right for results.

Replies

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Since weight loss comes down to Calories in < Calories out........calories.
  • Lovechaz2
    Lovechaz2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! This really clarifies things!
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Calories, after that make sure you get enough protein and fats and fill the rest of the calories with carbs. Calories are what matters.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,207 Member
    Options
    Weight loss = CI (Calories in) < CO (Calories out)
  • Fasaanya
    Fasaanya Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For me, when I restrict only calories i don't seem to lose weight, as I eat lots of sugar and white carbs.
    Now that I try to limit sugar and white carbs, with jogging daily and some strength workouts, I happily lose 1kg (which I beieve it's fat) weekly.
    I'm also frustrated, but as long as this is what works out for me, let it be.
    I heard that when we eat carbs, they are converted into glucose which is released in the blood stream. so, Insulin is released to remove glucose from the blood stream, telling the body to burn carbs in a greater rate than fat. And that's something we absolutely don't want if we want faster fat loss.
    This is my opinion..and actually, I'm so surprised to see that nobody said white (and refined) carbs.
  • aho3
    aho3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that calories are important, what your friend is probably trying to say is that fat and protein are important as well for most people to feel satisfied. 20 g of protein is a good guideline to aim for meals to keep your self full longer. I personally follow calorie conscious Paleo diet, which has worked great and rid me of most cravings. The Paleo perspective would argue that refined carbs, like oatmeal and cerealare, void of nutritional value compared to carbs from fruits and vegetables. Anyways, both are important but consider adding some protein to your breakfast.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It depends. After your oatmeal or Raisin Bran are you full and satisfied until lunch, or are you starving two hours later? CICO is the mechanism that allows us to lose weight, so yes, the bottom line is calories. I find fat and protein to be far more satiating than carbs, so I find if I limit the carbs, the calories take care of themselves. If you are able to eat a high carb diet and stay within your calorie limits easily, there is nothing wrong with that. If hunger is an issue, you may want to pay more attention to macros, but calories still count.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fasaanya wrote: »
    For me, when I restrict only calories i don't seem to lose weight, as I eat lots of sugar and white carbs.
    Now that I try to limit sugar and white carbs, with jogging daily and some strength workouts, I happily lose 1kg (which I beieve it's fat) weekly.
    I heard that when we eat carbs, they are converted into glucose which is released in the blood stream. so, Insulin is released to remove glucose from the blood stream, telling the body to burn carbs in a greater rate than fat. And that's something we absolutely don't want if we want faster fat loss.
    This is my opinion..and actually, I'm so surprised to see that nobody said white (and refined) carbs.

By "white carbs" you mean heavily refined carbs? Or you mean potatoes, and jicama carbs?
    I have been limiting heavily refined carbs (refined white flour, sugar, etc.) for about 15 years, and this approach works great for me, as I feel like I'm working with my blood sugars, not against them. But I don't limit any whole plant foods, as I focus on nutrient dense, high fiber carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. You may also want to focus (for health) on eating a more nutrient dense diet or hitting minimums of protein and healthy fats, as many find that helps them with satiety (I find fiber helps me more than fat, and that's in carbs). But unless you are doing a low carb diet counting carbs is not so important.
  • Fasaanya
    Options

By "white carbs" you mean heavily refined carbs? Or you mean potatoes, and jicama carbs?
    I have been limiting heavily refined carbs (refined white flour, sugar, etc.) for about 15 years, and this approach works great for me, as I feel like I'm working with my blood sugars, not against them. But I don't limit any whole plant foods, as I focus on nutrient dense, high fiber carbs.

Yes that's what I mean. For example: white flour products like white bread. ^^
  • Fasaanya
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

It's your opinion but no-one has said it as it's not true.
    White carbs aren't special or bad and can't make you gain weight long term without you being in a calorie surplus.

If you want an extreme example I might eat 800g of carbs on a long cycle ride and still be in a calorie deficit.
    Net result irrespective of fuel burned is a calorie deficit and losing weight / body fat.
    I must say, that helps me a lot. Thank you :blush:
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs and my calories, but I have pcos and am insulin resistant. I average about 80 grams of carbs per day but again I have a medical reason. Even with that if I want oatmeal I have oatmeal. It is not a bad thing.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    It depends. After your oatmeal or Raisin Bran are you full and satisfied until lunch, or are you starving two hours later? CICO is the mechanism that allows us to lose weight, so yes, the bottom line is calories. I find fat and protein to be far more satiating than carbs, so I find if I limit the carbs, the calories take care of themselves. If you are able to eat a high carb diet and stay within your calorie limits easily, there is nothing wrong with that. If hunger is an issue, you may want to pay more attention to macros, but calories still count.

Agree!!! I stay full longer with healthy fats. But no matter your macros, you will not lose without a calorie deficit