So frustrated

Options
I've stayed at or under my calorie limit for 2 weeks now and I gained .8 lbs. I try to walk every couple of days. I know I need to walk more but back issues don't help. Grrrrr. Suggestions?

Replies

• just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring your food? Have you been eating things high in sodium? Walking is great, but the real contributor to whether you're going to lose lies in the kitchen. If you're not weighing/measuring your food and logging accurately, you may not actually be eating at a deficit - it's really easy to eat more than you think you are. Also if you're eating a high amount of sodium, you may be bloated - which will show on the scale.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    While it is possible to gain .8 lbs in two weeks, if you've truly been eating at a deficit, that .8lbs is just a part of your weight fluctuations. Two weeks really isn't enough time to decide that you haven't made any progress.
    If you don't get a "whoosh" of weight loss in a couple weeks, it's time to tighten up.
    Make sure that you truly are weighing everything you eat, INCLUDING pre-packaged foods. Grams are best, ounces are second best, and cups, teaspoons, etc. are the most inaccurate except for liquids.
    Make sure that you're eating back the correct amount of exercise calories. Online tools are not tailored specifically for any individual, so you may be burning less than predicted.
    You don't need to walk for weight loss, especially if back issues are a problem. The deficit should be enough. Also, Google is your best friend; search up on exercises that you can do to work around a bad back.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OK first thing 0.8lb is within the natural variation of your weight (in other words you can easily be up a few lbs or down a few lbs from weigh in to weigh in without actually gaining of losing any fat). So, we could class this as a "stayed the same" weigh in.

I usually don't worry about 2 static weigh ins but three is a warning that something might not be right. If you want to address this now I would say:
    • Ensure you are weighting and logging everything
    • Double check the entries you are using are sensible (many MFP entries are terrible)
    • Ensure that your target calories are sensible. Aim for a 1lb to 2lb loss per week and don;t try to "cheat it" by eating less - this is a recipe for long term failure IMHO.

If you have the above in place and you're still not getting the results you expect then you are eating too much.

Walking: Whilst good for health will only help a little in weight loss. The primary driver is managing the calories in versus out (I know that walking increases the calories out but the amount that you have to do to make a significant difference is massive compared to the relatively small changes you need to make to diet to get the same results).

• Lisamq11
    Lisamq11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree monitering food is important. I never did and now that I have started I am surprised just how much I was previously eating. It was a challenge in the beginning but has since become routine.
    Could you Google or you tube workouts for people with back issues.
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Weight gain vs loss can be frustrating, no doubt. I agree with the others here, it is likely just a natural fluctuation as your body adjusts to your new calorie intake. Make sure you're measuring your foods as accurately as possible. Watch your sodium, and make sure your water intake is also good. Dehydration can cause unnecessary water retention. It sounds counter-intuitive, but from my experience, the more hydrated you are, the more accurate and reliable your weight is.

You might also consider shifting your measurement focus. Weight can be a fickle and frustrating way to track progress. Instead, try body measurements and see if you find better results there.

The bottom line in all cases of weight loss and improving health is to feel good. Are you more energized? Are you sleeping better? Are you excited to eat healthy foods as opposed to junk? Create an attitude and atmosphere that makes being healthy a reward in your life, and progress will show itself as a result of your reward as opposed to being the reward itself.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    1l9pzbwwf541.jpeg