Proper carb loading before half marathon

oilphins
oilphins Posts: 240 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone, I'm doing my seventh half marathon this Sunday and just want some feedback on proper carb loading. In the past I've usually started carb loading on Friday which gave me two full days to carb up. I've always felt good with my runs with no major problems except maybe the last mile. I didn't run completely out of gas but could start to feel it going into the last mile. I've been hearing a lot of mixed opinions over the last week about when to start. Some say you really only need one day which is the day before provided you intake the proper amount of carbs and others say you definitely need three full days starting Thursday morning. I did start yesterday but does that extra day make a big difference? Any opinions and advice from experienced runners who have done halfs or fulls would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    OP do you carry gels on your run? I consume carbs (Stingers) around the 6th or 7th mile or approx 60 - 70 minutes of running.

My races are always on Sat, and I just carb up Friday (no running this day only a light walk) before and hydrate like crazy.

You being very experienced can only know what you body is doing at this point in the run. Rather that is depletion or hydration issues. I usually run better towards the end of the run/race than I do in the beginning and middle.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    6 days out...your training should be 70-75% intensity for 90 minutes and carb load 4 grams/kg body weight

4-5 days out...same training intensity but for 40 minutes....same carb loading at 4g/kg

2-3 days outs...same training intensity but for 20 minutes....carb load goes to 10g/kg

1 day out...rest and carb load at 10g/kg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2016
    6 days out...your training should be 70-75% intensity for 90 minutes and carb load 4 grams/kg body weight

4-5 days out...same training intensity but for 40 minutes....same carb loading at 4g/kg

2-3 days outs...same training intensity but for 20 minutes....carb load goes to 10g/kg

1 day out...rest and carb load at 10g/kg

For a half marathon?

The general consensus I have heard for a HM distance is there is no need to carb load.

Personally, if I am at a deficit, I move up to maintainance for the week before the run. I have done quite a few halfs. No full.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    I don't carb load for half marathons but try to hydrate the day before. I just eat what I normally eat at night, then in the morning, I'll eat an egg sandwich, coffee, and water.
  • oilphins
    edited June 2016
    3dogsrunning, I've never heard of no carb loading for a half marathon. 21 km is a pretty good distance without any carbs and that's from experience. Everyone is different but I wouldn't be able to do that especially when I'm trying for a sub 1:30:00. my pb is 1:32:20. And RoxieDawn, I tried the gels last year and found they upset my stomach a bit near the end so I'm staying away from those.

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    You don't need to carb load for a half. Eat some pasta the night before if it'll make you feel better.
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Like others have said here, you shouldn't need to carb load for a half. Just carry a few gels or stingers (my favorite) and you'll be fine.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    I agree, no carb loading for a half or a full. A gel 15 minutes before, then every 45-60 minutes there after. Instant fuel on the go.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    I still stand by my answer based on a couple things. The loading schedule i proposed is good for any endurance athlete for a 90 minute or over event. Also, the OP says that he starts to bonk the last mile and he is already carb loading so what he is doing isn't enough....and, everyone is different but the average time for a half marathon in the U.S in 2015 was 2 hours and 4 minutes and like one poster has said, gels can tend to upset the tummy. I'd hate to have to do a sprint to the bathroom in the middle of a marathon :smile:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    OK, silly question time. What's a "stinger"?

Was running in High School (graduated in 1973) and College (out in 1977) and then not much until about three years ago. Usually stopped at no longer than three miles. Have recently done two 5K's (29:09 and 28:08) signed up for another 5K in July a 4 miler in August and a Half Marathon September 25th. And doing two 5 mile runs (Monday and Wednesday) at a 10 minute mile pace and a long slow run at about 11/11:30 minute miles currently up to 9 miles on Saturday. The Half is my target race with everything else being training for it.

Now, paying attention to the longer distance runners, I hear about "carb loading", "gels", "stingers" et al. Hydrating and eating well, I get. What is the buzz with all this other stuff? Do I need to get better informed? The nine mile run at 11 minutes per mile, although tough wasn't real hard. I did survive the rest of the day ;-) I guess my question is, how much of this other stuff is real and how much is fluff?

Thank you
  • oilphins
    edited June 2016
    Just wondering, everyone here who says no carb loading, are you experienced runners? Would like to know or is it just your opinion? The reason being is I could easily run a half marathon in 2 1/2 hours at a 12 minute mile pace but when your trying to keep up at about a 7-7:30 minute mile and trying to do it in under 1:30:00, you really need your energy. Anyone who has run a half knows if you start off too fast you can burn out near the end. That's why I was just wanting experienced runners who do carb loading to respond. I appreciate everyone's opinion but telling me not to carb load wasn't the answer I was looking for as I stated I've already started yesterday. Just wanted to know if it's neccessary be one or three days, but thanks for everyone's feedback none the less.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    edited June 2016
    When I do halfs and i tend to eat heavier carb meals in the two days before but not really carb load in the traditional sense, i'll also do the same for tough 10k or longer trail races. I also take a break from running in the two days before any distance race. Most of my distance runs are trail races so i do make sure i am well fueled. As for energy shots along the way like stingers, gu etc, i only use them on mountain races, not on road or tame trail races.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Honey Stinger, http://www.honeystinger.com/
    oilphins wrote: »
    I didn't run completely out of gas but could start to feel it going into the last mile.
    Running is not my sport but that sounds far from bonking. Maybe better pacing and a "pick me up" along the way (experiment but for cycling, 30-45 minutes out is recommend timing but that for 5+ hours in the saddle). One should have sufficient glycogen for 60-90 minutes effort unless you are exhausting the store all the way to the event. If so, consider tapering.

For me, chilling on the bike, I don't need to touch food for 2 to 2.5 hours while sustaining effort at 70-80% of my lactate threshold. If I'm more than an hour away from done I'll eat, else finish a little hungry.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Just wondering, everyone here who says no carb loading, are you experienced runners? Would like to know or is it just your opinion? The reason being is I could easily run a half marathon in 2 1/2 hours at a 12 minute mile pace but when your trying to keep up at about a 7-7:30 minute mile and trying to do it in under 1:30:00, you really need your energy. Anyone who has run a half knows if you start off too fast you can burn out near the end. That's why I was just wanting experienced runners who do carb loading to respond. I appreciate everyone's opinion but telling me not to carb load wasn't the answer I was looking for as I stated I've already started yesterday. Just wanted to know if it's neccessary be one or three days, but thanks for everyone's feedback none the less.

Experienced (emphasis on the ex since I do little distance running these days) runner here and I used to buy into the carb loading stuff. But, under the recommendation of some friends who also ran, I experimented with going without a carb load and just eating normally before the race (then having the carbs after in cake and ice-cream form).

Result: No loss of performance and I felt fine.

I spoke to a friend who was a high level (national team) footballer (soccer player if your reading in the US) about his diet before a match and he said that they were told "just eat normally". His mother and father are Olympic gold and Bronze medal winners in track events and he told me that neither bought into the carb loading concept either. Again, they were advised by their coaches to "eat what you normally eat".

I realise that none of this stands up to the scrutiny required for a proper "study" but, hey, it's all I've got.

For info my 1/2 mara times were around the 1:20 mark.
  • oilphins
    Hiker_Rob wrote: »
    When I do halfs and i tend to eat heavier carb meals in the two days before but not really carb load in the traditional sense, i'll also do the same for tough 10k or longer trail races. I also take a break from running in the two days before any distance race. Most of my distance runs are trail races so i do make sure i am well fueled. As for energy shots along the way like stingers, gu etc, i only use them on mountain races, not on road or tame trail races.

Thanks Rob, My last run was Thursday and yes I always do take off a couple of days before the marathon as well. I may have to look into different options for energy the last few miles. I tried the gels but didn't agree with me. Hoping I can find some type of liquid energy shots rather than the gels. Thanks for the feedback.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'm kind of split here. I don't think your fade at the end of the half is from glycogen depletion, just that it's hard to finish out strong. However, I would still carb load prior to the race. I don't think it has to be a very elaborate scheme, just make sure you get a bit more carbs than normal in the 24-48 hrs prior to the event. I think gels in a half, especially one run quickly, aren't helping a whole lot. Maybe 1 gel half way or slightly before that.
    For back ground I've run 1:40 half all the way to 10 hour plus endurance events.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Is beer a carb??? That will determine my answer...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    The reason most people are saying that you do not need to carb load, is that the typical person is unlikely to deplete their glycogen stores in under two hours Here is an article that you might be interested in:

https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/

What you are experiencing in the final miles of your race is likely due to fatigue and not glycogen depletion. However, if you want to top off your glycogen stores to make sure you have plenty readily available, then I would go with eating a high carb meal the night before and fueling before and during the race.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2016
    3dogsrunning, I've never heard of no carb loading for a half marathon. 21 km is a pretty good distance without any carbs and that's from experience. Everyone is different but I wouldn't be able to do that especially when I'm trying for a sub 1:30:00. my pb is 1:32:20. And RoxieDawn, I tried the gels last year and found they upset my stomach a bit near the end so I'm staying away from those.

I didn't say no carbs. I said no need to carb load.
    You likely wouldn't be running out of glycogen at 90 minutes.

Yes, I have run quite a few half marathons.
    You asked for answers from experienced runners, not experienced runners who carb load (although I do for longer endurance events like half Ironman).
    Maybe a few more of the experienced runners will pop by.

You also don't need to run a half marathon to know that if you start off too fast you can burn out at the end. That applies to most distances and isn't necessarily about carb loading.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2016
    if you've already run 6 halfs, and you think you've got a legit shot at 1:30 finish time, then you know way more about what works for you than any of us do. And frankly, at this point, any changes you make have a greater chance at causing problems than they do at solving them.

That said, my guess is that you're problem is more with pacing than it is with anything nutritional.