How to cardio and gain muscle?

Options
Lost 6 stone from calorie control diet and exercise but I never knew how to do it properly. I just ran on the treadmill till I burned 500 calories. I'd like to get leaner and fitter now and know certain milestones I can achieve and how I will do this. I go to the gym 4 times a week already but I would like a plan. Sorry if it's confusing but this is why I'm having trouble googling it haha :'(

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well if you were eating a deficit and burning calories through exercising (cardio) and lost weight, you did it RIGHT..

If you are done loosing weight you do not have to do any more cardio, just start lifting weights.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try working all your body, maybe weights is a good way to tone up you don't need to go heavy. Get some dumbbells, rest them on your shoulder then squat. As you come up push your arms up with the weights. It's great for burning calories. Bigger muscles workouts burn more calories & fat. Maybe eat more protein so you don't lose some the benefits of weights
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    See http://www.owascoveloclub.com/Education_files/EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY.pdf. Pay attention to chapter 9 and 10.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and look into a 5x5 program. Don't be afraid of weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Weight loss is about calorie deficit. Exercise helps with creating a calorie deficit. Cardio doesn't build muscle, it builds endurance. Muscle building is about progressive resistance when training all major body parts. So find a decent program (like Stronglifts), then add whatever cardio you want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I strength train 4 days a week and move very quickly during the workouts. The majority of my time in the gym is doing supersets. For cardio, I walk my dog, try to jog a bit and run sprints all out.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for losing weight and improving fitness and stamina. If you want to gain muscle, you should do resistance / weight training. You can still do the cardio to reap the benefits from it but you should look at a weight lifting program if you're looking at building muscle.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mizukikuro wrote: »
    I go to the gym 4 times a week already but I would like a plan.

Two days cardio and two days full body strength / resistance training would be my suggestion to fit in with your schedule.
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm following this program: http://fitnessfooddiva.com/workouts/fitness-tips/10-weeks-to-fit-program/

I don't follow exactly because my life doesn't give me 7 days a week to do workouts. I also don't do every exercise as my gym doesn't have the same equipment, but I follow the program at about 85%. On the "active rest days" I up my cardio from my standard hour to 2 to 2.5.

It is a commitment... I spend somewhere between 2 and 3 hours at the gym when I go... but I am loving my results and looking forward to more.