Proper carb loading before half marathon

2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    if you've already run 6 halfs, and you think you've got a legit shot at 1:30 finish time, then you know way more about what works for you than any of us do. And frankly, at this point, any changes you make have a greater chance at causing problems than they do at solving them.

That said, my guess is that you're problem is more with pacing than it is with anything nutritional.

That's a good point too. As is your next one.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    oilphins wrote: »
    Just wondering, everyone here who says no carb loading, are you experienced runners? Would like to know or is it just your opinion? The reason being is I could easily run a half marathon in 2 1/2 hours at a 12 minute mile pace but when your trying to keep up at about a 7-7:30 minute mile and trying to do it in under 1:30:00, you really need your energy. Anyone who has run a half knows if you start off too fast you can burn out near the end. That's why I was just wanting experienced runners who do carb loading to respond. I appreciate everyone's opinion but telling me not to carb load wasn't the answer I was looking for as I stated I've already started yesterday. Just wanted to know if it's neccessary be one or three days, but thanks for everyone's feedback none the less.

I have run several halfs, fulls, and a bunch of 10 milers, 15Ks, and 10Ks. I don't know if that qualifies me as an experienced runner, but I don't carb load for halves nor do I eat anything during, such as gels, or drink anything except water. You're not running long enough during your half to deplete your glycogen stores. If you're eating breakfast beforehand that should be sufficient. Everyone gets tried the last mile of a half and feels like they're running out of gas, unless they're running at an easy pace. This is particularly true if you're not pacing yourself correctly.

To answer pondee629, a"stinger" refers to Honey Stinger, which makes gels, chews, and waffles.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    If you're properly tapered for the race you shouldn't have glycogen issues for nearly 3 hours. I've only done 2 full marathons but a number of halfs. Half marathons are UNLIMITED POWER!1111!!! Because your body has plenty of fuel for the amount of time it takes to complete the race. Both fulls I hit a noticeable energy wall around mile 20 - 22. I never felt anything like that in a half.

Personally I wouldn't do one darn thing different in the half from what you're doing on your training runs. Eat and fuel the exact same way. No need to carb load either. It's just a matter of pacing and not going out too fast.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    if you've already run 6 halfs, and you think you've got a legit shot at 1:30 finish time, then you know way more about what works for you than any of us do. And frankly, at this point, any changes you make have a greater chance at causing problems than they do at solving them.

That said, my guess is that you're problem is more with pacing than it is with anything nutritional.

Great point Jack, I'm thinking it's a bit of both but still going to need more carbs than normal regardless. Thanks for all of your feedback, it's nice to have different points on a lot of things.
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Just wondering, everyone here who says no carb loading, are you experienced runners? Would like to know or is it just your opinion? The reason being is I could easily run a half marathon in 2 1/2 hours at a 12 minute mile pace but when your trying to keep up at about a 7-7:30 minute mile and trying to do it in under 1:30:00, you really need your energy. Anyone who has run a half knows if you start off too fast you can burn out near the end. That's why I was just wanting experienced runners who do carb loading to respond. I appreciate everyone's opinion but telling me not to carb load wasn't the answer I was looking for as I stated I've already started yesterday. Just wanted to know if it's neccessary be one or three days, but thanks for everyone's feedback none the less.

Finished 12 marathons, 4 halfs, 2 half-ironman tri's, 1 ironman tri... so yes, i'd call myself experienced. Think of it like this:

I've never heard of a marathon runner carb loading for a regular training run, which often exceeds half marathon distance. It just isn't necessary to load up unless you have some sort of deficiency to begin with. Stick with what works for you personally.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    @mochachichi is spot on. If you do want to do carb loading, you have to do it properly otherwise it won't work to it's full potential (or at all). Also, it's a good idea to try out carb loading a few times before the event to know how your body reacts to it and what foods to choose for best results. Probably best not to try out something new just before the event... Weather you need to carb load for half marathon - now that's an entirely different matter :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

I should have been said that I do not eat prior to a race. This is why I make sure I have ample carbs the day before. Running races at 6:30/7:00 a.m starts., I just can't eat before and I train this way as well. I do eat carbs during the run, because I am old.. LOL

I do not do gels very well either, but the chews and waffles made by Honey Stinger work for me.

You may have to experiment on what works and do it during training.. but if you are in the middle of doing it now just go with it. You are experienced at this, I think we should be asking you.. LOL :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited June 2016

Great point Jack, I'm thinking it's a bit of both but still going to need more carbs than normal regardless. Thanks for all of your feedback, it's nice to have different points on a lot of things.

I would counter with one suggestion. I really like the Cliff gels with 100mg of caffeine. As you may or may not know, caffeine doesn't give you energy so much as it changes your perceived level of effort. It's a mind job more or less but I take those on longer training runs and occasionally have used them in a race. After about 15 minutes you'll be able to tell the difference. It's hard to put your finger on but running does feel easier for a bit after taking one. Something like this could help you out I'm guessing.

I like this one. They make it in a cherry chocolate too but it was too sweet for me.
    c26-B0074CDXHE-2-s.jpg

There is one caveat to this. You need to try them out on training runs to make sure they don't mess with your stomach. I typically have a cup of cold coffee before a morning workout so the caffeine isn't an issue for me.

ETA: Popping one of these around mile 10 might be your thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    When I was running a lot and targeting sub 1:30 halfs, I did not carb load. My weekly long runs were usually longer than 13.1 miles, and I never ran fewer than 7 (tempo runs were 1.5 mile warmup, 5k tempo, 2.5 mile cool down), so changing my diet for 13.1 never really occurred to me.
  • oilphins
    I really appreciate everyone's opinion here with different feedback. That's what's great about mfp is I may not always agree with what everyone says but it's good to hear all different types of responses. Having said that and not really getting the answers I was hoping for, I will continue with carbs for the next two days but not overdo it. Thanks again everyone.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I really appreciate everyone's opinion here with different feedback. That's what's great about mfp is I may not always agree with what everyone says but it's good to hear all different types of responses. Having said that and not really getting the answers I was hoping for, I will continue with carbs for the next two days but not overdo it. Thanks again everyone.

So you weren't really looking for advice, you were just looking for confirmation that what you were already doing was correct?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    edited June 2016
    Carb loading isnt' really needed for running a half in 90 minutes, assuming you're getting adequate nutrition in your everyday life.

If you're crashing in the last mile, its most likely a training issue and you need to do some things to improve your kick, you need a mid-week run of higher mileage to improve your endurance, or you are coming into your race too tired from too much speed work/lack of a proper taper.

eta: Nevermind. I see now that actual advice was not wanted.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    There is no earthly reason to "carb load" ahead of a 90 minute event. Eat whatever you normally eat before races, and fuel the way you trained. For a half marathon I usually bring along two gels and take one at 30 minutes, the next at 60, mostly for the caffeine.

Also "carb loading" isn't something that happens the day before a race. It happens for the entire week before a race. Unless you start actually loading up on carbs starting, say, the Monday before, you aren't really doing much good. The aim is to load as much glycogen into your muscles as possible for an event lasting more than about 4 hours or so.

I don't bother with "carb loading" for anything shorter than a half-ironman. I have done it for full marathons in the past but I didn't bother the last time and I ran a BQ 3:04.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    I just eat a little more carbs than normal the day before a half.(2 days before a full) I eat a mostly carb breakfast that morning of the race and run w/ gels, consuming 1 every 3-4 miles.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Carb loading isnt' really needed for running a half in 90 minutes, assuming you're getting adequate nutrition in your everyday life.

If you're crashing in the last mile, its most likely a training issue and you need to do some things to improve your kick, you need a mid-week run of higher mileage to improve your endurance, or you are coming into your race too tired from too much speed work/lack of a proper taper.

eta: Nevermind. I see now that actual advice was not wanted.

DYER?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2016
    I did start yesterday but does that extra day make a big difference? Any opinions and advice from experienced runners who have done halfs or fulls would be greatly appreciated.

So it's clear that you've already made up your mind on this, but a few observations.

There is no "correct answer", it depends on your performance, your objectives and whether you're currently in deficit. There are "wrong answers", including going carb heavy the night before.

Personally I'm comfortable running a Half for completion with a couple of days notice. If I wanted to race it I'd want a couple of weeks to prepare. If you're able to finish in 90 minutes to two hours you get little value from additional fueling, but if you're in the 3 hour range you'll find it useful.

For a "race" I'd probably increase my calories to near maintenance for a few days alongside a taper. Not specifically carbs though, just in general. For "completion" i'd run as normal.

I'd not that HMs aren't goal races at the moment, they fit into my ultra training.
  • oilphins
    Jacksonpt and thickmcrunfast, It's not that I didn't want advice but wanted different feed back on whether to really carb load or just a bit more carbs than usual and if the extra day would make a difference. Thanks again for all responses.