"You don't want to look gaunt!"

Options
So i went down from 15.5 stone to 13 stone (217 pounds to 182) and i am really happy with how i look. However, im starting to get comments like "you don't want to look gaunt" "you'll start to look ill" and so on. The problem is that within myself i still feel chubby and definitely feel like i have at least another 14 pounds to lose.

Im within the healthy BMI range now and reduced my body fat percentage to 21.8% which im delighted with but i want to look like someone who doesn't have an ounce of fat on me, especially on my hips. Seeing though it's impossible to focus on certain areas for fat loss i would need to lose another stone for example to lose my side bits some more, but i really don't want to look ill and frail from it. I guess lifting weights is the way to go but i really can't afford a gym membership and I don't really have the time aswell.

It's either stop where i am or keep on going despite what people are saying. One person did give me food for thought by saying maybe just try it anyway and you could always see? I have uploaded a photo so its easier to judge my position. Thanks!2co82t7reszn.jpeg
7q1jnhmnrcly.jpeg

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Lose whatever weight you want as long as you are healthy about it, you can always gain weight back if you really want to do so. Also, there are plenty of bodyweight strength routines that won't require a gym membership if you want to be more muscular.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I second weightlifting. Make time for it, even if it's body weight. Weight lifting would assist in the overall aesthetic appearance of looking "toned." Although to add significant muscle, you might want to look into bulk/cut cycles.

ETA: Craigslist can be an awesome place to buy weight equipment if you don't want to do monthly gym memberships, if finances allow it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I guess lifting weights is the way to go but i really can't afford a gym membership and I don't really have the time aswell.

In that case, try a bodyweight program, such as You Are Your Own Gym, or Convict Conditioning, or something from the below link:

http://strengthunbound.com/

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You're good. Stop losing. I can see your hip bones sticking out. Time to build muscle now! :D
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds in 6 months. About half the folks who comment ask whether I've been sick.

My doctor put it this way... consider that the average person's BMI (as bad a measurement as that may be) is about 5-7 points higher than mine. The person asking whether I'm sick is just using him/herself as the norm and assuming anything smaller is unhealthy. Either that, he said, or they're just feeling guilty or ashamed of their own lack of effort and translating that guilt/shame into a criticism of me.

I don't know. Either way, it's getting tiresome that I have to answer this question so frequently. Says more about the other person than me (or you!), I suppose.
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I guess lifting weights is the way to go but i really can't afford a gym membership and I don't really have the time aswell.

In that case, try a bodyweight program, such as You Are Your Own Gym, or Convict Conditioning, or something from the below link:

http://strengthunbound.com/

Cheers ill look into it...
    gothchiq wrote: »
    You're good. Stop losing. I can see your hip bones sticking out. Time to build muscle now! :D

Bless ya thanks.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If I were you I'd slowly transition into maintenance (add a couple hundred calories a week back but keep a close eye on the scales) but keep up cardio/weight training to try and build muscle. That's what I did and it's been working great. I now do the same cardio and body weight training I did while in a deficit but I simply eat closer to maintenance. So I'm still working out 5-6 days a week burning almost 800-900 calories on those days and eating at maintenance plus up to 80% of those burned calories. I'm much happier, and I'm not gaining fat, as a matter of fact I'm loosing body fat % but building a ton of muscle.. well.. not a ton... it's slow when you're not at a surplus of calories, but muscle tone and definition are coming along nicely.

I can't do a lot of actual weight training because of back and knee injuries so I stick to body weight training, but if you can do weight training I'd be doing that as well.

Also, body weight training, done right, can do wonders. No equipment needed!
  • Kjo9111
    Kjo9111 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them. Do what you want and if you feel great then stay where you are, if you want to loose a bit more, then do so. They are just jealous because you are making yourself better. I agree with everyone else on adding some muscle. Strengthening the arms and shoulders would help a bunch, just don't forget leg day!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    amazing job! I'd second gaining some muscle, find something strength based you enjoy and lose yourself in it!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think that for many people it's tough for them to get the image of our larger selves out of their mind. They are so used to seeing us at the heavier weight that the healthy weight is shocking to them. I really like what @Spliner1969 was saying about slowly transitioning to maintenance calories while still exercising. It's a great way to lose that last bit of fat and gain some muscle. In the end, you have to do what makes you feel good and strong and healthy.

(edited for spelling)