breakfast

Options
Am I the only one who struggles with breakfast. The most important meal of the day and I can't face it.
Surely I'm not the only one? And it doesn't help either with my diet.
If you have breakfast , what sort of things do you eat?

Replies

• AvrilC1971
    AvrilC1971 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't handle eating breakfast either. I now have a protein shake, black coffee and my vitamins. I know you don't need to have shakes to lose weight but they are extremely convenient especially for breakfast.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast. "The most important meal of the day" thing is bunk. I find if I eat breakfast within an hour or so of waking up, I'm hungrier throughout the rest of the day. I get up around 5:00, have a cup of coffee around 7:00, then don't eat actual food until 9:00 or 10:00, whenever my stomach starts growling. Then I usually have plain greek yogurt with berries and protein powder mixed in.

I save around 1200 calories for dinner (and dessert). I always save about 300 calories for ice cream or chocolate, every night. This works much better for me than trying to force down a big breakfast I don't want anyway.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast then don't. There's no reason to.
    I personally I have to have breakfast or I get too hungry later. If I eat breakfast at 7:45am I'm good until 5 or 6 that night.
  • glorissmith64
    glorissmith64 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your support. I do like the sound of berries though. I only have lunch and dinner but sometimes skip the lunch and just have dinner in the evenings.
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I find that if i have a protein shake for breakfast i feel much more fueled and ready gor my day and workout. I used to never eat breakfast but now I find that I really enjoy my first 170calories of the day!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it then. I prefer to break my fast around 1 pm when I'm trying to lose weight.
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my absolute favourite meal! I never have time for it during the week though. So it's always egg on toast, egg on rice, egg on veggies, bagels, or cereal for me. Sometimes fruit and cheese, if I'm in a rush. Apple and a cheese string while I walk to school. During the weekend I can do hashes and more fancy stuff like crepes.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every morning, and have been for like 2 years. Greek yogurt with ground flax mixed in, over pineapple and almonds. I don't have to think about it. It's light, is a good balance and does me until about 3pm when I have a snack.
  • Natalierae886
    Natalierae886 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have a shake :) its much easier then eating in a morning
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The concept of breakfast being the most important meal of the day was invented by breakfast food manufacturers, and simply isn't true. It doesn't do anything to your metabolism etc. meal timing is pretty much irrelevant. If you don't like eating breakfast then don't... save your calories for later.
  • Rosefern1
    Rosefern1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast food, but I don't like getting up early for breakfast. Usually I'll just have something light, quick, and easy, like nut butter on toast, fresh fruit, or just a granola bar.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you don't like breakfast, don't eat it.

Personally, if I don't at least grab a protein bar before I walk out the door, hanger strikes and I'm miserable until lunch.
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always make a morning shake that changes some ingredients here n there but for the most part stays the same: 2 tbsp flax seeds, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 5g creative, 20g casein protein powder (slow release protein), 1/2 banana, 100g kale (or I'll swap for spinach), 140g berry medley (mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), and sometimes I'll put in a couple scoops of PBFit Peanut butter (tastes the same, less fat, carbs, oil and sugar) for extra taste. Gives me all the nutrients I need, keeps me full, kicks starts my day with some energy (higher carb intake) beginning of the morning instead of coffee.
  • flcl2121
    flcl2121 Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day...why? because your system just got out of "hibernation" and looks to your body to take nutrients in order to kick start the organs and start the day. So if you don't eat, your system will steal needed proteins from muscles thus making you weaker. Should have 1 serving of carbs, 1 serving of meat/protein, 1 serving of veggies. If you can't handle that, start small and build up.....EAT SOMETHING for breakfast, or your working against yourself.

1 organic egg, 2 normal egg whites, organic shredded potatoes (sprouts), add bell peppers & chives. breakfast done.

oh yeah, it helps your metabolism too
  • glorissmith64
    Options
    Thank you guys again for your support and motivation. Flcl 2121 liking your reply
  • glorissmith64
    Options
    spring913 wrote: »
    I eat the same thing every morning, and have been for like 2 years. Greek yogurt with ground flax mixed in, over pineapple and almonds. I don't have to think about it. It's light, is a good balance and does me until about 3pm when I have a snack.

Tried this today. It was delicious
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    flcl2121 wrote: »
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day...why? because your system just got out of "hibernation" and looks to your body to take nutrients in order to kick start the organs and start the day. So if you don't eat, your system will steal needed proteins from muscles thus making you weaker. Should have 1 serving of carbs, 1 serving of meat/protein, 1 serving of veggies. If you can't handle that, start small and build up.....EAT SOMETHING for breakfast, or your working against yourself.

1 organic egg, 2 normal egg whites, organic shredded potatoes (sprouts), add bell peppers & chives. breakfast done.

oh yeah, it helps your metabolism too

No not this. Your glycogen stores are big enough to last the night. And no, meal timing has no effect on your metabolism
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest mistakes I think I ever made was learning how to eat breakfast, now that's all want to do is eat
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Breakfast isn't mandatory for weight loss. There are a lot of days that I don't eat a substantial meal until later in the day. Most times, I have coffee or a diet soda in the morning, take my meds, and then go on with my day until lunchtime. I've never been a big breakfast eater and I've had success with making myself eat breakfast and without having breakfast at all. Personal preference, really. :smile:
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not mandatory. However, for me I find that when I'm not hungry for breakfast, it means my dinners are too big. For other people, skipping breakfast means they eat too big of a lunch. So, just look at your own habits and make sure that skipping breakfast isn't causing or a sign of other areas you may need to fix.