Do you burn more when...

Options
When taking my son for a walk in his stroller, I do a minimum of 2 miles, sometimes closer to 3. Anyhow, my question is: Do you burn more calories walking on a 90 degree day then a 70 degree day? I had to stop a couple of times because of the heat speeding up my heart rate.

Replies

• INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    My "guess" is yes...I'm new to running and have been doing INSANTY for several months....Summer finally arrived here in NW PA and I noticed that my HR according to my HRM gets up faster the warmer and especially the more humid the day is.....so I think our bodies are working to "cool" and therefore increasing our HR & calorie burn...just my hunch!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    i remember reading somewhere that you burn more calories workint out in either extreme heat or extreme cold. don't know how true it it, but it stuck with me.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. You would definitely be losing more water through sweating, but not sure you can burn more cals dependent upon temp.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not really. You feel more fatigued, and heart rate can increase, but those are not associated with any increase in oxygen uptake--which is what is most responsible for calories burned.

So the answer is no--thermal stress does not lead to an increase in calories burned, whether it's walking outside, exercising in heavier clothing, doing bikram yoga, etc.
  • Balishdear
    Balishdear Posts: 60
    Options
    Azdak... well if that's true, that is dissapointing :-/