Need help on my choices!! Share your knowledge!!

Options
Well my day usually consist of stuff that are easy for on the go.. like packaged Bistro salads, low fat tuna kits, Lean Cuisines, Banquet dinners, stuff in that region. I understand that they are high in sodium but even with eating this selection i still stay in my limit of carbs/fat/sodium.

I just need some help in my choice of the frozen to go items... should i try cooking like 3 time a week and bring extra for work? WHAT ARE SOME EASY, FAST recipes?

What are some good snacks for between meals besides fruit, because ima snacker!! Ive tried the what thin crackers ( whic are awesome ) the new wheat pringles, popcorn ofcourse, Cheese sticks... i need some knew healthy but delicious snacks =))

OH!! and for my Crystal Light lovers.. They have a hard 'life saver' type of candy now, and they are good!! =) helps with cravingss..

So yea.. Help me out guys <33

Thanks for reading ;)

Replies

• Kjanthony
    Kjanthony Posts: 39
    Options
    try sugar free jello with fat free whip cream, slim fast snack bars, quacker rice cakes. these also help with the sweet tooth!:happy:
  • ThaCookieMonster
    ThaCookieMonster Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks good choices!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    When I was working, I would take half a Sunday and prepare a bunch of things that I could take on-the-go throughout the week. Breakfast quiches are a wonderful, filling food and you get your proteins and veggies all in a little cupcake looking thing. You can also bake a bunch of chicken and chop it up to add to bagged salads. Instead of the tuna kits, make your own tuna salad, that way you know exactly what's in it. Tuna is good for up to 4 days in the fridge :)

As far as snacks, I go for things that will tide me over until my next real meal. That's usually veggies such as celery, bell peppers and cucumbers with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, or a handful of nuts that I'll put into baggies to throw into my purse.

Hope that help! :)
  • ChezInProgress
    Options
    Can't be much help here, however I will Bistro Salads are awesome. Especially Santa Fe Style.
    When I'm at work my snack of choice is a package of dippin stix. It's a snack sized pack of fruit or vegetable with a dipping sauce. I think the fruit is almost always green apple and the sauces can be caramel with nuts, regular caramel, peanut butter or yogurt. The vegetable is carrots and low fat ranch. I know you wanted something other than fruits, but that's predominantly what I snack on.
    Oh and if you love ice cream, skinny cow has single serving sized ice cream cups that are really delicious.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I bought plastic Gladware containers and make my own meals. When I really started to think about it...I realized I could easily make meals like frozen WW and LC. I like having more control over the sodium (one benefit) and I also have more control over preservatives. I save a ton of money doing this myself. Plus, I get to use my imagination. I have an "ap" on my Droid called "Recipes" by AllTheCooks (see their web site AllTheCooks.com) and you can take an item and they will list a bunch of recipes. I've also discovered a line of products from a company called WildTree which is a small company out of Rhode Island (USA). They make seasoning/sauces with No MSG, No Preservatives, Sodium Free and low cal and they are REALLY GOOD Tasting. As a side note, when I started using these products and stopped buying packaged processed foods, my daughter had less behavioral issues at school and better able to concentrate on school work.
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I actually eat the same thing every day for lunch. I don't know if you're like me, but I'm ok with not having too much variety. You can take a look at my food diary to see what exactly I eat. My lunch staple is Taco Pasta - I cook 1-2 lbs of ground turkey at a time, and put it in the fridge. I also cook a whole box of the pasta and also put it in the fridge. Each day, I just put my portion size in a container and take it to work - heat it up for about a minute and a half and then enjoy. I love the taste of it, and it's better than eating the high sodium processed foods. Hope this helps :)
  • natalie7015
    natalie7015 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love to have a vitamuffin top in the morning. I love the oatmeal cranberry and chocolate ones. They have only one hunderd calories and are low in sugar. I also love the Healthy for Life Ezeikel Cinnimon Raisin Bread - all organic and full of fiber. Two slices with some coffee keeps me full all morning - seriously.

On Sundays I try to peel and slice enough carrot sticks and celery for the entire week to pack in lunches or just grab a better choice out of the refrg. when I'm snacky. I also love low fat, part skim cheese sticks. Sargento's are only fifty calories and some of the others are eighty or less.

Another thing I do a lot is buy a rotissere chicken (sorry about the spelling on that one) and take off the breast meat when I get home. Then all week it makes awesome sandwhiches, quesadillas, chicken tacos, etc...

Vita Muffins can be found in freezer section of places like target and most supermarkets. Ezeikel breads at Fresh Market, Central Market, Sprouts (not sure where your located) Whole foods. and Sam's Club has these awesome Tortilla Factory low carb whole wheat tortillas that are low carb, sugar, and cals. Also try the low sugar/carb Healthy Life breads and buns (walmart, kroger.etc) They are good without high calories or carbs.

Hope that helps!
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snacks are Vita Tops, carrot sticks and fresh ground peanuts, and I carry Clif bars in my purse just in case :)
  • ThaCookieMonster
    Options
    Yes it did @ dittie,

and @ Chezinprogress, those are great ideas.. i forgot about the dippin stix lol
    and the Santa Fe is my favorite! mmm Makes me want one now haha
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to protein rich snacks such as Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, String Cheese and Almonds. Especially since the food you are eating is so low in protein.

To be successful you need to have the right amount of calories, protein, fiber and water and limit the fats, simple carbs and sodium.

Try making meals on the weekends that you can split up into frozen meals. They will be much healthier and save you a ton of cash!

Best of luck!
  • ThaCookieMonster
    Options
    Thanks @ all of you for your help i have so many idead now, I wish i new it was this easy to get help before!!

:)
  • ThaCookieMonster
    Options
    @ Natalie

For the rotiesery chicken <-- i dont know either lol

Like from Publix Deli??