Weight loss plateau Late evening workouts

Hello,

I am new to the Community part of MFP but have been using it for a couple of years now to help track calories and weight loss.

I am a stay at home dad and only have time to work out in the late evening around 8pm.

I have lost 53.8 lbs but have hit a plateau. I eat right and run 4-5 miles a day.

Even though I am doing that why have I stopped losing weight? Should I change my routine? Has my body gotten used to my work schedule?

This is what I am figuring but thought I would ask here and see what kind of answers and help I might be able to get.

Thank you,

TJ

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    What are your stats? How many calories are you eating a day and how do you measure them? Have you adjusted your intake as you've lost weight?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Have you adjusted your calories for your current weight?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    And how long has your weight "plateaued?"
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    No, working out at night is not causing your stall. I'd look more to your calories eaten. Have you tried dropping calories more?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    No, working out at night is not causing your stall. I'd look more to your calories eaten. Have you tried dropping calories more?

I've been working out same time as you for 6 months (also the only time I can fit in). It's more likely it's your calorie intake. Also, have you been taking measurements as well as tracking your scale weight? Every time I think I've hit a stall, I check my measurements and I'm still losing inches.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    As someone else asked, before we panic, how long since you saw a loss?
  • tjstewart68
    tjstewart68 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all very much for responding. I have adjusted my calories but only by the amount MFP adjusted as I log my weight, inches and goal.

My weight has plateaued for about 4 weeks now. But I am losing inches as my clothes are substantially more loose fitting.

So, I am guessing although I am not losing weight I am still making progress.

I am amazed at how many responses I received. I am truly thankful for such a wonderful community of people.

Thank you,

TJ
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    For some, eat in little less than what is approximated may be needed. Anytime the body goes into calorie deficit, the metabolic rate reduces. And of course as one gets lighter, it reduces even more. Also, if your aren't doing any resistance work, some of that loss can be a higher percentage of muscle and that even reduces it more because muscle tissue burns more calories fat tissue for the same volume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tjstewart68
    tjstewart68 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you, I do some resistance work by lifting weights as I go into the slow walking parts of my run and a few times a week I add in some basic exercises (i.e. sit-ups, jumping jacks).

Over all I do not see much of a loss in muscle mass, actually it's the opposite in certain areas.

I am happy with the progress I have made as my clothes continue to be a lot more loose fitting but the plateau of weight loss has me stumped.

I am going to try changing my calorie intake and change (or add to) my workout and see what happens.
  • lawf55
    lawf55 Posts: 1 Member
    I have just started using a macro tracking group instead of calories. As I am just starting I don't have a personal result yet but a good friend who has always been heavier has had amazing results. I was always on the school side of watching calories , so tracking macros is a whole different game. I'd be happy to share the link if you are interested. Just a thought;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    Thank you, I do some resistance work by lifting weights as I go into the slow walking parts of my run and a few times a week I add in some basic exercises (i.e. sit-ups, jumping jacks).

Over all I do not see much of a loss in muscle mass, actually it's the opposite in certain areas.
    "Gaining" muscle in a deficit isn't that likely. "Revealing" muscle (definition) many times gives the person a sense that they gained muscle because they never really saw it before.
    I am happy with the progress I have made as my clothes continue to be a lot more loose fitting but the plateau of weight loss has me stumped.

I am going to try changing my calorie intake and change (or add to) my workout and see what happens.
    Well it's not a plateau since it's still under 6 weeks. And any change in diet at all (even a candy bar that you don't usually eat) wouldn't designate it as a plateau because the definition of it in terms of weight loss is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF one has been consistent with diet and exercise. "Stalls" happen all the time with weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Most times if the scale stalls and you're still losing inches, water weight is the most likely culprit. I have a high sodium diet (Dr's orders) and see this all the time. Thankfully I don't go by just the scale so it doesn't concern me if my weight goes up a pound when I know I have been accurate in my logging :)