Depression & Weightloss

Options
cclorentz91
cclorentz91 Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I just started an anti-depressant and am trying to lose the weight I've always told myself that I would lose. It's a struggle - and each day is a new challenge. Looking for some ladies to turn to for support on this journey - that could turn to me for support as well. Let's work together to empower one another! We CAN do this

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I suffer from depression as well but am not currently on an anti depressant
  • mwjessica
    mwjessica Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have chronic depression and anxiety, and have recently started my weight loss journey (about 9 weeks ago). I'm also on medication (been on various Rx for most of the past 16 years), and have started thinking about seeing a therapist. When I first started ramping up my activity level, I had a much greater sense of well-being, but that has since dissolved. Everyday is a struggle, I know what you mean. Please add me, I think supporting each other is a great idea.
  • cclorentz91
    Options
    I totally know what you're saying - when I increase my activity level I feel great. But more often than not I find myself making excuses on my way home. Doing every thing I can to avoid that gym parking lot. 'Oops missed my turn, shucks! That's too bad' 'uh I had a hard day - I'll go tomorrow.'
    I think I've just got to stop being so lenient with myself haha. Happy to have your support on this ladies!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Certain psych meds help with weight loss and some cause weight gain. Do your homework
  • zipaprika
    zipaprika Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey all - feel free to add me - I'm in recovery also from major depression. Finished tapering off meds two months ago and so far, so good. I think a lot of the skills for managing depression, especially mindfulness, are also important for successful healthy lifestyle changes. But yeah. Definitely rough. Don't be too hard on yourself. Be brave. <3
  • cclorentz91
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have done more research than the average person - as I used to work alongside mental health physicians in the ER. I am on a medication that works to help increase energy and therefore aids in Weightloss. Medication is a start but it is only part of the equation. Which is what brought me to this forum. I need the support, motivation, and drive to get myself out of it. The medications gave me a boost, but ultimately it will be my own strength that pulls me out of it
  • unbehaved1
    unbehaved1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been in extreme chronic pain for 16 years with depression. I'm 5'4" I got to 168 and said that's it I'm losing this weight. I used this app and boy did it help it took me about a year 1/2 to get to my goal weight 135. I kept it off for 3 years. Then my husband has stage four cancer and in two month I gained 20 pounds. I have lost 3 lbs. but it's way harder this time and I feel awful in my clothes. I'm going to a conference in July and when I found out I was going I bought new clothes not one pair of pants fit. Thank god my best friend came a took me shopping and I will have something to wear but I have never in my life gained this much in such short of time. I eat less then 1200 calories because of my extreme chronic pain I do very little exercise way and can spend weeks in bed. I'm trying to talk my husband into letting join a gym so I can get my motabolism going but he's never gone to a gym and thinks it's a waste of money. At my age I believe with eating right and walking on the tread mill will be a good start for me. Any suggestions on how to get my husband to have a open mind about a gym. I asked if He would like to go with me after his chemo is done but it was NO! I welcome suggestions please. I hate the way I feel and look. Thank You
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add. :)

I have depression, BPD and AvPD. The depression gets worse in the summer oddly and I've been been fighting it tooth and nail this year. When I first was suspecting depression I was put on Paxil which encouraged me to gain 100+ lbs on top of giving me severe side effects. Fast forward 2-3 years later and I'm on Wellbutrin and doing muuuuuch better. It's still tough (I refuse to go on higher dosages since my bad experiences with Paxil and then Zoloft) but it's considerably better. At the same time I'm slowly working on that weight loss and I'm 15lbs down with a few bumps in the road. I also take vitamins like B12 and D3 specifically to help my mood.

Just remember it's not a race and be sure to try to have some fun. Self care is important with depression and I believe fitness/nutrition is a huge help in battling it.
  • cclorentz91
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add. :)
    I'm on Wellbutrin as well! I like it because it has very minimal negative side effects - which is rare in an antidepressant. I was on half of the standard dose and it worked. I stopped it and 3 years later decided to go back on it. My doctor recommended the regular standard dose this time and I went with it. So far so good.
    15lbs! That's awesome! Good for you! We are doing a work weight loss challenge and so far I'm in the lead. I've lost 7.4lbs in 3 weeks and people have already commented on my face being slimmer. Uhh it's such a good feeling. You have to learn to appreciate every little milestone.
    I have depression, BPD and AvPD. The depression gets worse in the summer oddly and I've been been fighting it tooth and nail this year. When I first was suspecting depression I was put on Paxil which encouraged me to gain 100+ lbs on top of giving me severe side effects. Fast forward 2-3 years later and I'm on Wellbutrin and doing muuuuuch better. It's still tough (I refuse to go on higher dosages since my bad experiences with Paxil and then Zoloft) but it's considerably better. At the same time I'm slowly working on that weight loss and I'm 15lbs down with a few bumps in the road. I also take vitamins like B12 and D3 specifically to help my mood.

Just remember it's not a race and be sure to try to have some fun. Self care is important with depression and I believe fitness/nutrition is a huge help in battling it.

• cclorentz91
    Options
    Haha sorry!!! Somehow I quoted you but said my piece in the middle of your reply. Lol hope you cam sort it out
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    unbehaved1 wrote: »
    I have been in extreme chronic pain for 16 years with depression. I'm 5'4" I got to 168 and said that's it I'm losing this weight. I used this app and boy did it help it took me about a year 1/2 to get to my goal weight 135. I kept it off for 3 years. Then my husband has stage four cancer and in two month I gained 20 pounds. I have lost 3 lbs. but it's way harder this time and I feel awful in my clothes. I'm going to a conference in July and when I found out I was going I bought new clothes not one pair of pants fit. Thank god my best friend came a took me shopping and I will have something to wear but I have never in my life gained this much in such short of time. I eat less then 1200 calories because of my extreme chronic pain I do very little exercise way and can spend weeks in bed. I'm trying to talk my husband into letting join a gym so I can get my motabolism going but he's never gone to a gym and thinks it's a waste of money. At my age I believe with eating right and walking on the tread mill will be a good start for me. Any suggestions on how to get my husband to have a open mind about a gym. I asked if He would like to go with me after his chemo is done but it was NO! I welcome suggestions please. I hate the way I feel and look. Thank You

Youtube has some great workout vids....have you checked there?
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm maintaining currently, but have lost ~70 lb in the past.

I was diagnosed bipolar. I've been on every med under the sun it seems, but I'm not currently on an antidepressant, just a mood stabilizer for now. I'm not in a depressive episode now but trust me, I've been there!

Exercise does help a lot when I'm feeling low. It sucks to try to bring yourself to the gym but I always try to remember how great I feel after I'm done with my workout!
  • adawn1981
    adawn1981 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I'm suffering with depression and anxiety but am not on medicine currently. I'm trying vitamins and healthy eating first because I'm also breastfeeding my baby. I could use some support, and would love to give some support :)