Joints popping

Options
A month ago I started to notice that my joints make a popping sound when I get up from bed or do a sudden movement. There's no pain or anything so should I be worried or not?
PS: I'm following a plant based diet "high in carb, low in fat" so I think maybe the low fat intake could be related. Any ideas?

Replies

• wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your diet being the cause. My joints do that too and I eat low carb.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm not a medical doctor, but my guess is that it's not diet-related. What sort of exercise are you doing? Is it a particular joint, or several of them? Lots of people have popping sounds in their joints that don't indicate problems. However, my right knee started to make a crackling sound a few months after I started running, and it eventually did develop into a pretty painful condition. I wound up learning a lot about proper running gear, stretching, and foam rolling! I think it's worth mentioning to your doctor if it persists and you want peace of mind, but if it starts to cause pain, get it checked out.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You know how people can 'crack' their knuckles? I can do that with my knees. I wouldn't stress it, it's just a thing.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm not a medical doctor, but my guess is that it's not diet-related. What sort of exercise are you doing? Is it a particular joint, or several of them? Lots of people have popping sounds in their joints that don't indicate problems. However, my right knee started to make a crackling sound a few months after I started running, and it eventually did develop into a pretty painful condition. I wound up learning a lot about proper running gear, stretching, and foam rolling! I think it's worth mentioning to your doctor if it persists and you want peace of mind, but if it starts to cause pain, get it checked out.

I have aa stationary bike and I do a little bit of cardio, but the popping started after I stopped exercising. It happens in almost all joints, especially shoulder and knee.
    Hope you're feeling better now :smile:
    Thank you so much for your help!

• mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    You know how people can 'crack' their knuckles? I can do that with my knees. I wouldn't stress it, it's just a thing.

I think you're right :smile: I'm watching my body as if it's about to implode or something :lol:
    Thanks!

• mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    wolfgirl78 wrote: »
    I don't know about your diet being the cause. My joints do that too and I eat low carb.

Your joints have been doing that for how long? We don't have to see a doctor right?
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/orthopaedic-surgery/specialty-areas/sports-medicine/conditions-we-treat/joint-popping-cracking.html

Joint Popping and Cracking: What You Need to Know

No one knows exactly what causes the common sounds of joint cracking and popping. It could be caused by ligaments stretching and releasing or by the compression of nitrogen bubbles in the spaces of the joints.
    Joint cracking and popping on its own does not require treatment. It is normal, and these joint sounds may also increase with age.
    If you hear a popping sound in your joint and experience pain and swelling, you may have an injury that requires treatment.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my sports doctor told me if there is sounds or popping without pain, its ok . but use your judgement
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's normal and is nothing to worry about, unless you have pain associated with the popping or cracking.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    Options
    Thank you all :smile: This has been very helpful!