Alcohol

Options
vlhill11
vlhill11 Posts: 53 Member
Been dieting all week and I'm doing ok but I have been asking to go out tonight? I have no control where alcohol is concerned how do people get round this? Do you count the cals?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has calories, so you'll want to account for those if you're counting calories to lose weight.

I decide what I'm going to drink ahead of time, pre-log it, and drink that. This strategy won't work if you don't have control over what you drink -- that's a whole other issue you might want to take a look at.
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If alcohol is an issue, I suggest you avoid. Club soda with a lime twist is nice and refreshing. Otherwise, decide what you will drink beforehand, log it, and stick to it. Drink a club soda in between to stay hydrated.
  • vlhill11
    Options
    Thanks peeps girly nights out are usually messy and we end up drinking all sorts so I can't pre log but i will try and remember what I have drank and log it tomorrow
  • vlhill11
    Options
    Alcohol is not a issue I just enjoy it but it's usually abit of everything as the night goes on
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to make it a little bit better, shots are better than cocktails? Or mixed drinks with diet soda, club soda, etc. Beers, ciders/mike's hards/etc, and cocktails have a lot of sugar/carbs and that's what I usually try to avoid if I'm going to drink.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to drink when our is 1 shot of tequila but in a glass made for a double with mineral water.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in 18 months while still having my craft beers and bourbon. Just count the calories.

Clear liquor is better than liqueurs. Think martini instead of margarita.
  • cyurchevich
    cyurchevich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Only use water and fresh muddled mint as your mix, it's not as sweet so you have a better chance of drinking it slower and consuming less calories. Added bonus is you will have less dehydration hangover tomorrow.
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid the sugary drinks and the mixers. I always eat a VERY filling healthy dinner before going out so I'm less likely to snack on the bad stuff when I'm tipsy.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead for my girls nights out which also get a little messy. I will have a slightly larger deficit than usual (typically slash an extra 200-300 calories per day the week leading up to the night out). I do a light breakfast and lunch and then eat a filling dinner to help absorb all that booze! I usually log several vodka sodas ahead of time and maybe two cherry bomb shots. I can always adjust the amounts later.

I just try to avoid the extra calories in sodas and such so my drink calories come only from the vodka and then the occasional shot. It unfortunately does add up.
    Also have a healthy snack ready when you get home or you'll end up eating half a pizza like I did last weekend (it was awesome! But I regretted it!)

Plan where you can and just leave room for the unexpected.

Have fun! :)
  • Leesa_Michelle
    Leesa_Michelle Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was never big in super sugary or sweet drinks. My go tos are vodka water with a lime or lemon. I've gotten quite a few people to fall in love with it. To change it up you can do gin with water and a cucumber. Sipping on bourbon is delicious as well.
  • vlhill11
    Options
    Thank you you have been a great help, and positive
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I also go out a lot with my girlfriends and I found that since I switch to gin and Tonic I can drink guilt free. It's harder when you are at the bar but the drinks I like are Gin and Tonic With lime , Vodka Slime, and vodka cran. I know it's difficult once your already drunk to stick to a plan but it saves a lot of calories! If that is an option for you then just make sure you're logging, and maybe go somewhere you can dance to work off some of those calories :) Also have fun because it's you're night out!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    vlhill11 wrote: »
    Been dieting all week and I'm doing ok but I have been asking to go out tonight? I have no control where alcohol is concerned how do people get round this? Do you count the cals?

I drink several times per week and thankfully it dries me out and causes me to not want to eat much. I almost always see a gain the day after drinking. But I'm definitely not the norm.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I miss alchohole :|
    1 month then I can have my merlot again :)
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. 1 large frosted honey bun = 550 calories. 1 bottle of red wine = 650 calories. 1 Miller Lite = 96 calories. 1 REAL BEER = 150-200 calories. My advice for tearing it up? Have a drink, then drink a full glass of water. Have another drink, then a full glass of water. I'm like you--hard to control myself. Just enjoy yourself and log those drinks. Even if you go crazy and get stupid drunk, it won't wreck your diet!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Call it a cheat night

Also I never drink water totally ruin your buzz and your pissing water and beer all night and will probably piss yourself in bed
  • vlhill11
    Options
    Haha thanks guys some of these comments have made me smile, think I'll follow your advice enjoy but log it and deal with it after and I'm glad I'm not alone
  • lilthings1
    lilthings1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    vlhill11 wrote: »

Ask for water, it will look like straight vodka. Just don t let anyone taste or smell your drink.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I drink. Count calories and drink water. Stay away from mixed cocktails and drink clear hard liquor.