Not losing anything after 6 months of diet and exercising

Options
I started on this diet 1200 calories and I exercise every day my calorie loss is about 700 a day no breaks I started at 200 lbs I'm 5ft5 still after all this I'm still 200 lbs with a *kitten* ton of muscle it converted my fat into muscle i want to be thin not a body builder

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can make suggestions?

Since you haven't lost weight and you have maintained your weight, you are eating at maintenance. To lose weight, you must be eating at a deficit but you do not want to eat fewer than 1200 calories a day for proper nutrition. So you'll need to tighten up your logging. Make sure you log all that you eat (and drink). Weigh everything on a food scale. Measuring cups are inaccurate. Packaged foods can be legally 20% larger than labeled, so weigh those, too. Confirm you are using accurate MFP listings.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The good news is IF (and that's a big if) you grew muscle (and there's no way there's a *kitten* ton of it) by accident, it will help you burn fat while you sleep! Muscle is a good thing to help you get thin!
  • shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sch00lgirl wrote: »
    after all this I'm still 200 lbs with a *kitten* ton of muscle it converted my fat into muscle

Pics or it didn't happen
  • boomboom70
    boomboom70 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It seems clear you are unwittingly overeating - I have a feeling you will deny this so all I can say is if you want to lose weight LISTEN to everyone on here. The number one reason for not losing weight is you are eating more calories than you think.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Have you used the MFP formula, actually tried to do it as is? If MFP gives you 1,800 or 1,600 or 1,350 calories then eat those calories and see what happens. People post over and over about how they are eating 1,200 calories and can't lose weight. Usually 1,200 is far, far below what they could/should be eating. This may not be the case for you, but since your post is so similar to so many I've read asking these same questions, I suspect that you chose 1,200 calories because, for whatever reason, you think that's what one must eat to lose weight. This is not the case, unless your weight and height and goal weight are imputed and this is what MFP gives you. However, if you have been following the MFP plan exactly, honestly, and are not seeing results, then you might want to visit your doctor.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I started on this diet 1200 calories and I exercise every day my calorie loss is about 700 a day no breaks I started at 200 lbs I'm 5ft5 still after all this I'm still 200 lbs with a *kitten* ton of muscle it converted my fat into muscle i want to be thin not a body builder
    You didn't lose weight on 1.200 cal for 6 month? You are a phenomenon!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

You have a flawed understanding of how this works, you cannot gain muscle on a calorie deficit and fat cannot be converted into muscle. You either burn fat or you build muscle, one involves eating less, the other involves eating more. And there is only so much muscle you can put on in six months. Simple and most likely answer is you're eating more than you think.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well she's clearly not in a calorie deficit. I'm guessing she accidentally did some kind of recomp while eating at maintenance. I don't see how it seems shocking to everyone that she would see a physical change in 6 months doing that.

Basically OP - you're eating much more than you think. Start weighing your food.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well she's clearly not in a calorie deficit. I'm guessing she accidentally did some kind of recomp while eating at maintenance. I don't see how it seems shocking to everyone that she would see a physical change in 6 months doing that.

Basically OP - you're eating much more than you think. Start weighing your food.

But doesn't equal a *kitten* ton of muscle
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost you're eating too much. You need to open your diary.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle. Science.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP, come back!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But doesn't equal a *kitten* ton of muscle

Well she's probably exaggerating.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    boomboom70 wrote: »
    It seems clear you are unwittingly overeating - I have a feeling you will deny this so all I can say is if you want to lose weight LISTEN to everyone on here. The number one reason for not losing weight is you are eating more calories than you think.

This.

It's is always the calorie deficit to lose fat. There is nothing fun about it. It is corrective action to fix a health problem, like taking medicine. Whenever it is "not working" people always think there is something wrong with them, but no, even those of us with low thyroid and all the other hormone issues that seem to stall it, once we get those fixed we all end up having to knuckle down and eat a little less until we found the right sustainable deficit for our size. We did not have the special magic cure for starvation in our bodies after all. We had to roll up our sleeves and do this unpleasant hard thing called the calorie deficit.

The biggest mistake people make is logging accurately yet eating a little too low, then getting lax on other days, not counting bites here and there, forgetting to log something, or even a little binge. Those higher peak days will negate all the hard days you remember doing and it doesn't seem right (mental accounting). So it's easy to say "but I'm eating less and it's not working". So yes, you did some days and you felt it because it's hard, but those other days took that away, just like credit card spending.

Be more accurate, find your mistakes (we all had to do that), and then go in the app and look at the weekly nutrition graph often and it will help show you. But it won't be accurate unless you log accurately.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Good news is, you didn't gain. Bad news is, sorry to break it to you, but you have not been eating in a deficit. You are logging incorrectly somewhere. You absolutely needs to weigh everything you eat using a digital food scale to know how many calories you are consuming (most accurately). I don't know what kind of exercise you are doing, or what tool(s) you use to calculate your exercise burn, but for the time being, I would continue that exercise, but do not log the calories burned. Continue your plan to eat at least 1,200-1,400 calories (or more if this is too restrictive for you, only you can know that by how you are feeling), but you must use a food scale.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm your height and when I was your weight, including workout calories, I was eating probably 1800 calories a day and losing a consistent 1lb per week (still am but naturally I have lower burns and lower needed intake now).

But my logging is tight and I live wiggle room for errors and guesstimates here and there. Basically, to reiterate what everyone is saying, you are very likely eating a lot more than you think, it's easily done but the good news is, it's also easily fixed. Buy a food scale, weigh your solids, measure your liquids and be absolutely honest about every single thing that passes your lips.