Confused!

Options
I have been using MFP for a while, not really to achieve anything but just to keep track.

BUT...

I have been eating on average my Bmr for a few weeks, and exercising tons more (walking everywhere and burning around 500kcals a day) to create a deficit and I have GAINED weight! What gives with that??

P.s, I weigh and log everything before I eat so I know I'm not overestimating that, and I use a fit bit to monitor exercise data so that should be fairly accurate as well.

P.P.S, totm is due next week, could that account for a 1 kilo gain?

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I want to point out that even if you know your BMR it could be off for you specifically. If you were to go down just a tiny bit on calories slowly see if that doesn't take care of it, and yes tom can mess up stuff, also salt less water etc. remember the scale is not linear, it's up down all around even if you are maintaining.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    When you say you're logging everything, are you weighing solids and measuring liquids? BMR is what we burn lying in bed all day, it doesn't include daily activity or exercise so you should really be losing, even if BMR calculators are a little off for you. Is the scale spike just today?
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @Caroline231 ONLY!

My doctor is of the "new thinking" as some others doctors are as well.

Calories are NOT all the same. Sugar calories are stored as fat and carbs turn into sugar in your system so ... that turns into fat also. Watch your carbs (including sugar) and drink lots and lots of water. Sodium is another element we need to watch and keep low. I hope this gave you some ideas.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    @Caroline231 ONLY!

My doctor is of the "new thinking" as some others doctors are as well.

Calories are NOT all the same. Sugar calories are stored as fat and carbs turn into sugar in your system so ... that turns into fat also. Watch your carbs (including sugar) and drink lots and lots of water. Sodium is another element we need to watch and keep low. I hope this gave you some ideas.

None of this true or necessary. A calorie is a unit of measure, like a mile or a litre. How many you eat is what is important purely for weight management. Nutrition and heath condition management are different stories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sugar and carbs are not turned into fat unless you are overeating.
  • AmyLanci
    AmyLanci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually, how we can really help you is if you post what you've been eating the last three days. Maybe you need to change your macronutrients! Please post your food log (if you feel comfortable) so we can help you further.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Macronutrient split also makes no difference to weight gain/loss/maintenance. Opening her diary would be the most helpful to spot any errors that might be there.
  • Fasaanya
    Fasaanya Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with @SugarySweetheart
    when eating carbs, they turn into glucose (sugar) which is released in the blood stream. So, Insulin is released to remove glucose from the blood stream, telling the body to burn carbs at a greater rate than fat. So, when you work out, you're more likely to burn more carbs than fat.
    I like to reduce white and refined carbs along with sugar from my diet, with jogging and some strength workouts. And, i happily lose 1kg weekly.
    Hope that I helped. This is my opinion, you can look it up to get sure if I said something wrong.
    Have fun ^^
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Fasaanya wrote: »
    when eating carbs, they turn into glucose (sugar) which is released in the blood stream. So, Insulin is released to remove glucose from the blood stream, telling the body to burn carbs at a greater rate than fat. So, when you work out, you're more likely to burn more carbs than fat.
    I like to reduce white and refined carbs along with sugar from my diet, with jogging and some strength workouts. And, i happily lose 1kg weekly.
    Hope that I helped. This is my opinion, you can look it up to get sure if I said something wrong.
    Have fun ^^

All of this is wrong.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Have fun ^^

Oh lordy, no no no no no. What you eat, from a weight management perspective (again, health conditions and personal preference notwithstanding) makes absolutely no difference. Want to live on potatoes? Go right ahead, as long as you don't go over our calories you're golden. Nutrition is a different matter but can we just leave pseudo and bro science at the door please?
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh yeah, you can get heavier eating at a deficit...temporarily.

Here's my weight chart for the past few months. The dots are my daily post-morning-pee weigh-in weights, the red line is the trend the website calculates. I eat at a deficit every day, but my weight swings up and down with my cycle, and other factors. The overall trend is downward, though, at pretty much the exact rate MFP predicts based on the deficit I set it up for.

You can see a couple of stretches where I was gaining, and one where my weight held steady for almost two weeks.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep it up.

16z2cy7k9aed.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Have fun ^^

The bioscience is strong in this thread