When to weigh??

Options
lilthings1
lilthings1 Posts: 46 Member
I am new to this diet stuff. Never had to do it until now, age 67. Sorry to all that have dieted all their lives, I was the skinny one, had trouble gaining and keeping.
Oh and also don' t like food. Candy and soda but not food.
Ok too my question.
When and how many times a week should I weigh myself? I have been doing it when ever I think about it, and am dissapointed from time to time.
Thank u for everyone's help.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning every morning. I'm looking at the big picture and not the everyday fluctuations.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So are you trying to lose or gain weight?

What do you eat on a normal day if you don't like 'food'?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    In order to get usable measurements from most home scales, you need to take them in a consistent state.

The best way to achieve this is to weigh 1st thing in the morning, after having used the toilet, and before eating or drinking anything.

Because home scales tend to vary from unit to unit in both reading and accuracy, all you really want to be paying attention to is the trend over time. Week to week, are you going down or up ...

Most will recommend once a week, on the same day. Anything more than that is unnecessary, and all you will see are day to day fluctuations due to water retention and other factors.
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've opted to weigh myself every 4 weeks and use how I feel health wise and how my clothes fit as a gauge. But ultimately its your call, daily, weekly, monthly.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I recently spoke to my Dr about this and she suggested once a week weigh-ins, and your body weight can fluctuate 5pounds in one day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any aversion to seeing the number on the scale, I'd weigh yourself daily under identical conditions.

Then, I'd take an AVERAGE of those 7 days of weigh-ins, and I would only compare week to week averages when determining what is happening with your weight.

This will smooth out the day to day fluctuations.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would suggest weighing yourself every day at the same time for awhile. This will give you an idea of how your body works. Keep a chart if you like..then you can check a weekly progress by comparing Monday to Monday..or whatever day you choose. Do this for 30 days..you'll have a better understanding of your body and how it processes the foods you eat.

You'd have to provide other details for anyone to really help though? Are you trying to lose weight..calories..diet..exercise..etc etc etc. If you don't like food and you do like candy & soda..it may be hard to lose weight?dybrmp7cw6xs.jpg
  • lilthings1
    Options
    Thank you all, I said I don' t like food, but over winter I ate lots of candy and soda. Now have spare tire around my middle, not happy. I stopped all candy and went from drinking 2 liter bottle a day, down to 8 oz of Pepsi. Drinking lots of water. Trying to eat 3 meals and 1 snack. Dropped 4 lbs in first week, I know this won't be the norm. But trying to work it.
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I weight in the morning after about half an hour, so if I need to go to the bathroom, I do. Or after the gym right before a shower. Daily. I like the steady climb vs weekly results.
  • brucealfred3
    brucealfred3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat all organic and non gmo. I follow a paleo diet, sorta. But since I do crossfit so much, I add in carbs with potatoes. But really try to eat as clean as possible. You may think it's hard...tough. Your body NEEDS this stuff, and you'll grow to like it. So plant based diet is good to start with.
  • BlondeTheHardWay
    BlondeTheHardWay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Fridays in the morning. Same jammies, before I go drink my first glass of water.
  • lilthings1
    Options
    I have heard so many times to weigh yourself in the AM. So advise here are great, thank you. The dumbest one I have heard is don't weigh yourself after a shower because water in your hair and on your body puts more weight on. Lol