disabled very little excercise options.

Options
Hi to all.. I just signed up. I am looking to loose about 60 pounds. I could use some friends and motivation. I just retired from the army last year due to injuries that I had been struggling with for several years. Long story short my injuries have put me off of my feet. I am preparing for my second surgery next month and have another after that. I have slowly gained 60 pounds over the course of three or so years. There is not a lot of exercises that I can do right now so I am turning to looking at my diet and hoping this site will help me.

Replies

• Red5092
    Red5092 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like, and good luck on your journey to great health. If you keep your nutrition on point and stay within your calorie allotment, the weight will be melting off you like butter.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't make you lose weight. Eating under your calorie allotment per day does.

I gained 50 pounds after I had cancer in my right leg. I was in a wheelchair and leg casts for 2 years while I went through 3 different surgeries. Once done, I couldn't really walk at all. Legs were atrophied, and tough to move. During the time I was getting my legs back to moving again, I dieted and lost 25 pounds. With no exercise at all. I lost the other 25 pounds in the same amount of time with both dieting and walking - again no heavy exercising. After my 50 pound loss and I was back to normal, I then exercised a lot to keep me at my goal weight.
  • Galadrial60
    Galadrial60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi girl...no offense to Brandon, but during a long period of disability, I gained 40 pounds eating less than 1000 cals a day. I hear you. I noticed dramatic results when I was able to walk again...but three years off your feet is no picnic.

If you set your activity level to Sedentary, and actually can do some exercise, it DOES help.

Good luck with your goal...and add me if you want active support!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Hi to all.. I just signed up. I am looking to loose about 60 pounds. I could use some friends and motivation. I just retired from the army last year due to injuries that I had been struggling with for several years. Long story short my injuries have put me off of my feet. I am preparing for my second surgery next month and have another after that. I have slowly gained 60 pounds over the course of three or so years. There is not a lot of exercises that I can do right now so I am turning to looking at my diet and hoping this site will help me.

Thank you for your service to this country and good luck with you surgeries and goals <3
  • hanlonbrandie
    hanlonbrandie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts and support. After only two day of logging my food I cant believe how many calories are in everything I eat. This is going to be more than just dieting it is going to be an entire lifestyle change.
  • amirose13
    amirose13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your journey and upcoming surgery, you can add me if you like! Mfp definitely helps keep me on track and stay accountable.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Look up senior citizen chair workouts on you tube, stationary bike, Pilates and swimming.
    Good luck !
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Since you're preparing for another surgery, you should talk to a physical therapist about what exercises they recommend during recovery. You can probably do some of those now.
  • Amrik10
    Amrik10 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me if you like. I think using this app will be great help in your goal of losing weight. Best of luck in your upcoming surgery. Also commend you for the service to your country.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    You're not alone-- I've been losing despite being bed-bound or home-bound all spring. Focus on the nutrition. If pain is your main limiting factor, consider pool exercises, and/or Physical Therapy for remobilization. Occupational therapy can help with energy conservation techniques, to help you "save" energy in your day-to-day activities to apply towards exercise.

Here's another thread, there's a link to a group for Fitness and Disability, too.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36836205#Comment_36836205
  • hanlonbrandie
    hanlonbrandie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot of good suggestions. I never thought to look up senior citezen chair workouts. Thats an excellent suggestion. I have a stationary bike which I used to use all the time but unfourtanatly I can only use it intermittently between surgeries right now. Swiming is not much of an option here. And unfortunately my medical is done through the VA which requires me to go all the way to phoenix 3 hrs away to do any type of physical therapy or consultation type stuff. I had someone suggest richard simons too. I will try anything that I am capable of right now. Thanks everbody!!
  • doogledoggle
    doogledoggle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    there is a lady on another thread, i think it is the success stories photos only thread, she uses a wheelchair and has lost lots of weight with zero exercise. Have a look for her. Photos are incredible.