Chinese food treat

Options
Hi all :-)
I've promised myself when I hit my next small goal I will have a Chinese , any recommendations to the healthiest least calories ,ones to pick ( I don't like any seafood)
Thanks ;-)

Replies

• sonyadilworth
    sonyadilworth Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Why not just have something you like but fit it in with your weekly calorie goal? I had a Chinese last night I just had a smaller plate than usual.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Order what you like, and ask for a takeout box. Put half of your meal in there and enjoy the rest of it. You can have leftovers next day or so.
  • EmilyHughes801
    EmilyHughes801 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually had Chinese food twice this week and still saw some weight loss. I mean they give you so much food at restaurants so I always have leftovers for the next day. Just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • sonyadilworth
    sonyadilworth Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did the same
    I actually had Chinese food twice this week and still saw some weight loss. I mean they give you so much food at restaurants so I always have leftovers for the next day. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

I did the same I ordered a take out. One main was shared between me a nine year old, 3 year old and 2 year old. Still had enough for lunch today and some of it still went in the bin. The portions are way too big
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I get chicken/broccoli with the gravy on the side! You can use just a wee bit of gravy. The chicken and broccoli are steamed, not fried.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are: Steam tofu with black beans paste, steamed egg with minced pork, soy sauce chicken, braised chicken with tomato (or flavor of your choice). Delicious and goes well with rice.

Actually I often make these at home (yes I am Chinese :D )
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Chicken with snow peas is an excellent choice and easily fit into calorie goals.
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of snow peas?;-)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Where are you, OP? Chinese takeaway options vary massively from one country to another. Chicken with broccoli and chicken with snow peas are American Chinese restaurant standards, but don't exist here in the UK, for example. If you haven't heard of snow peas, I'm guessing you're not in the USA, so these suggestions won't work for you.

(we don't have "General Tso's Chicken" either - what even IS that?)
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me hungry lol ;)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    theportkey wrote: »
    You guys are making me hungry lol ;)

I know! Now I want Chinese food. Don't have the energy to make it today though.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Beef and broccoli, Mongolian beef, and my personal favorite Egg Foo Yung. I CRAVE eggs so this is always my first choice. I usually get house style with just a tiny bit of gravy.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh and Moo shu pork!!! Yum!
  • lisaseager45
    Options
    Hey. Am from uk !!;-)
  • lisaseager45
    Options
    We must have very different Chinese ?:-/
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I made cashew chicken for dinner twice this week. It fit great in my allowances.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    We must have very different Chinese ?:-/

Yes, it's totally different. I think the closest things we have to dishes like chicken and broccoli or chicken with snow peas would be something like chicken with bamboo shoots or chicken with water chestnuts - a Cantonese style dish with a light gravy.

I love those, but to be honest, I'm with those who say have what you want, just eat less of it and save the leftovers for another day. Chinese restaurant food is calorific, it's just the way it is. If you want to know which ones are the most calorific, it would probably be things like lemon chicken or sweet and sour, where the sauce is basically syrup - or satay, where you're eating a bowl of peanut butter essentially. But if I was ordering Chinese food tomorrow, satay is probably what I'd have. Mmm, satay...

If course you can have boiled instead of fried rice, if you can bear to, and if it's a takeaway, have some salad along with it as veg tends to be minimal in Chinese takeaways!
  • thorin59
    thorin59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am from the UK and struggled to find the best option when the family were all eating Sweet and Sour and Egg Fried Rice etc, I opted for Vegetable Chop Suey and plain boiled rice, it still has some sauce on it, it is really hard to find out the number of calories but seemed a "not really high" calorie option.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love green pepper steak, i don't think it's too bad calorie-vise, but still eat only half. Not sure if you have that in UK