My 5 month NSV

Options
Panda_Jack
Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
I've always been a big guy. Played football in HS and continued to lift unto my mid 20's. When I first got into F&B management and started working 75+ hour weeks, I slowly started packing on the pounds as I exercised less and less. In 2009 I got hit with the unemployement stick and got to my heaviest weight of 250+ lbs by December of 2010.

On January 31, of 2011 I decided I needed to do something about it. I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea and pre-diabetic.
I started walking to and from work, along with on my lunch breaks, about 9 miles a day for a few months and riding my bike on the weekends. Mid-February I began C25K and entertained the idea of running a 5K sometime in the future.

On March 27, even though I hadn't finished C25K, I ran my first ever 5k race with a time of 34:18. I then decided I'd participate in Warrior Dash So Cal on April 3rd. This event, while difficult was insanely fun. If you have an opportunity to participate in a mud run I highly encourage it!

I then got the crazy idea that I'd mix Insanity into my workouts. So now I was doing Insanity, C25K and riding my bike on the weekends along with my strength training. Somewhere in there I got the idea I'd compete in a triathlon. I mean, come on.. I'm already running and riding.... all I have to do is swim right?

Well this past weekend I finished my first triathlon. The 25th Annual San Bernardino Rotary Tinman Triathlon. And not only did I finish, I finished 8th overall out of over 300 participants, and 3rd in my age group with a time of 46:59.

Oh and of this morning, I've lost over 50 pounds!

newsidebyside.jpg

PS... And just in case you were wondering what my gift was in this picture... I think it was socks!

Replies

• cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That's so great - congratulations! I'm glad that you're doing so well! Triathlon is a GREAT achievement, as is your placement!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Your and inspiration to me and all of MFP!! You have done outstanding....So proud of you!! You look amazing
  • ryssaan
    ryssaan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats you look amazing and you have accomplished a lot.
  • littlelaurabear
    Options
    Good work! x
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration.
  • blondie_rae
    blondie_rae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    amazing! inspiring! wonderful! Congrats to you!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    P_J, you're one of my heroes. You have done so well and on top of that, you are just an excellent human being.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    PJ, You inspire so many of us on and off your friends list here. Congratulations on your Triathlon achivement and your 50lb loss!!!! You are a shining becon of the power we have in ourselves to change. Thank you for being so inspiring. You truely look amazing!!!

oh and ps... Don't think you are getting away with out a *LICK*
  • runninglol
    runninglol Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You are awesome!!!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    wow...you look amazing !! Congratulations on your accomplishments !!
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! Congrats to you on your achievements. You look great!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Love it! Great job!!!!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Completely and totally amazing, Panda!
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Amazing! I love real life inspiration like this!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Oh Panda...You are my inspiration as well as my hero! When I think I cannot, you prove I can! You are an amazing friend and a huge contributer to MFP. I wish you many more successes to add to your current ones!

♥, Shan
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thats my brother from another. Awesome Job PJ--again, you are one of the main reasons I push it so hard.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My God Panda...... that truly is inspirational and amazing, nice job my friend!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Way to try a tri! :) Well done, keep it up.

Noticed that race was a reverse tri. Fun :)
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Amazing story brother!
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I want to buy you a pair of socks to honor your accomplishment!!! Way to go, Panda!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!