Peanut Butter Shock

Options
eddodeddo
eddodeddo Posts: 2 Member
Just started today and as I was logging in breakfast I inputted 2 tablespoons of PB.
320 calories. What a wake up call!!!

Replies

• tonywilkinson530
    tonywilkinson530 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lol I had the same shock yesterday - what I do now is spread about 5 grams on a water biscuit as a treat - maybe have a couple through the day
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you weigh it. What's the serving weight again, like 28g I think. There can be a big difference between what the eye sees as a tablespoon and what the really serving by weight is.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Just wait until you weigh it. What's the serving weight again, like 28g I think. There can be a big difference between what the eye sees as a tablespoon and what the really serving by weight is.

So much this.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So much this.

Thanks and I have not finished my coffee yet so please excuse weird wording and typos.
  • Raema225
    Raema225 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice your post since I absolutely LOVE peanut butter. Double check your food entry. A serving size of 2 tablespoons should be 190 calories. Sounds like the amount you are using is double that. I don't want you depriving yourself of any peanut butter :smiley:
  • fmurphy17
    fmurphy17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about almond butter?
  • arditarose
    Options
    fmurphy17 wrote: »
    What about almond butter?

What about it? Same amount of calories yes. All nut butter are calorie dense. The only way to really cut calories is to eat the tiniest amount or use powdered peanut butter.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Raema225 wrote: »
    I couldn't help but notice your post since I absolutely LOVE peanut butter. Double check your food entry. A serving size of 2 tablespoons should be 190 calories. Sounds like the amount you are using is double that. I don't want you depriving yourself of any peanut butter :smiley:

Yes, double check your entry. And don't use measuring tablespoons, use a scale to weigh, otherwise you're probably eating more than you think.

I miss the days when I would eat PB straight out of the jar and not even consider the number of calories. :'(
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is why I can't keep peanut butter in the house. It is perfectly fine in moderation but I like it too much to be conservative. So instead I use less enjoyable almond butter (the kind where it is just almonds and salt)
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, healthy fats, blah blah... It's high-calorie, and you have to eat it on high-carb food (bread, crackers, etc.), or else on celery, a combo I despise. Peanut butter is a total no-go for me.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have 2Tb peanut butter (190 cal) on a light English muffin (100 cal) for lunch or a snack - total calories about 290. Which with a piece of fruit and some veggies is about what any lunch worth eating is going to cost you.

If you can refrain from pigging out on PB straight from the jar, it's a perfectly fine alternative for lunch or a snack.

Lou wrote:
    I miss the days when I would eat PB straight out of the jar and not even consider the number of calories.

Fact is, most of us are here precisely because we have a history of not being accountable to ourselves for what we put into our bodies. If we want to make this a permanent change, we need to realize: we can't do things the way we've done in the past any more. If we resent this fact, or feel deprived as a result, I believe the end point of that sort of thinking is a return to where we started.

The question we all have to ask ourselves is: do we want to make progress and KEEP it for the rest of our lives, or spend the rest of our lives going through cycle after cycle of diet success and failure?
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been using Peter Pan whipped peanut butter - 150 calories for 2 T. I know it's not a lot of savings, but it makes a difference. It's also far easier to spread, so it's easier to use less.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon/16 grams = 90-100 calories.