How to get husband not to think the gym is a waist of money?

Options
I lost over 33 pounds in 1 1/2 years I took it slow but it stayed off for over three years. Well found out my husband has stage 4 cancer and I have gained 20
In 2 months. My clothes don't fit, etc. I suffer from extreme chronic pain but want to join a gym
And very low impact exercises. How do I get my husband not think this a waist of his money?
Before I knew him and before I got hurt I would train 6 days a week. But that a long time ago I will just start off slow. Any suggestions?

Replies

• WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can safely lose the weight in less than 1.5 yrs by managing your diet differently. Do you own a food scale? It's a lot cheaper than a gym membership and you only have to buy it once.
  • LottieLouise17
    LottieLouise17 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It depends what you want the gym for. If it is to lose weight, then calorie counting by using your BMR (basic metabolic rate) and TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) would be effective enough by itself. If you would like to go as a hobby/do something for yourself/get back into for your mental wellbeing (I find it helps with stress), then I would say go for it if - after doing a household budget- it really is something you can afford as there are other alternative for doing exercise on the cheap.
  • JowitaGarstecka
    JowitaGarstecka Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of grate exersizzes you can do at home and is a lot cheeper then the gym but give u the same results. However if you think paying gor it will keep you motivated to go and do the exersizzes when at home you mind not be bothered then go for it! What ever makes it easier for you:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your husband's illness.

OK - do you honestly have enough disposable income to pay for a gym membership? and do you need his approval to do so? What are his reasons for not wanting you to join?

I think if you can afford it and you want to you should do it. Being active and fit can help bolster your emotional state and keep you healthier so you can support him better.

That said - you really don't need a gym to lose weight - you do so mainly from calorie control anyway - you can do workouts at home.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    *His* money? If you're married, it's y'all's money together. If it won't cut into food and rent money, I see no reason why you cannot get the membership.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Honestly if it's for your physical and mental wellbeing you shouldn't have to convince anyone of its worth. I'm a student fulltime and my fiancée supports us. If something is possibly within reason and good for me or her then we discuss it. During our discussion we cover what exactly it is we want, the relative cost of it, and, most importantly, we explain why we want it. I explain to her because she's the one paying for it and she explains to me if she wants something because she respects my opinion even though I bring in no money currently.

For example, I get depressed often in the summer something terrible and would love to have a Fitbit to monitor my activity and HR so I can actually see what I'm doing when my depression blindsides me leaving me lethargic and laying in bed. My fiancée and I live pretty paycheck to paycheck since I'm not working but she occasionally gets bonuses. So I asked her if for an early birthday gift (birthday is in October) if I could have a Fitbit blaze so I can see my daily activity and not just gym activity to help me battle my depression. She asked why not a cheaper version and I explained to her all the reviews about the blaze I read and how I felt it was a good fit on top of the HR monitor, sleep monitoring, and dependent GPS which were important to me. Today she called me from work after thinking about it and told me she'd like to go get me my early birthday gift today.

I believe with explaining the full interest and intent is important. Almost as important as keeping with something you agreed about and basically this is an agreement. You're saying to your spouse "hey I want to go to the gym - will you help me and I will go?" so then the spouse agreeing requires you to keep to the gym. If you don't think you can keep with it then don't ask because that risks trust on these sorts of issues between you and your spouse. Good luck and have fun at the gym!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30kg without a gym. Walking, running, skipping. Outdoors is best but you tubes pretty good too when you can't get out
  • safetywes2015
    safetywes2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can lose a lot without the gym..... I agree with your husband. Sorry. I suppose you can fill the house with with gym equipment until he says save money, go get a gym membership!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's safest to assume that you can't change your husband's mind, and act accordingly. Can you afford a gym membership? Is so, does he make all the financial decisions, or can you make one that is a benefit for you? If not, can you walk as a low impact exercise, or find other alternatives?

I am very sorry that you're in this situation. Are you your husband's caretaker? If it were me, I would need the exercise for stress relief, and some time to myself, not only for physical health. I wish you the very best.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I am very sorry that you're in this situation. Are you your husband's caretaker? If it were me, I would need the exercise for stress relief, and some time to myself, not only for physical health. I wish you the very best.

So much this... How is it only his money? :huh:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Could you spend the money anyways and leave him to his opinion?
  • ECWC1980
    ECWC1980 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers of healing...
    I would just tell him this is something you need to be healthy and help him fight. You could also try setting up a home routine as a trial to prove you will stick to the gym plan.