healthy recipes!

Options
amandajoy21
amandajoy21 Posts: 18 Member
So I am new to this app but it seems pretty cool so far. Not as interactive as I was expecting. I'm looking for some dieting tips for pre-diabetics. I don't care what meal they are for, im happy with any healthy recipes you guys have personally tried and enjoyed.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This blog has good recipes. They include the macros and the calorie counts.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/recipe-roundups/
  • amandajoy21
    Options
    awesome! Are there any u like in particular?
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    An easy, lite meal packed with nutrients is tomato-zucchini mélange with tilapia (cod, pollock, swigh, or any other mild white fish will do nicely here). Is it just you or are you cooking for a crowd? I make this for four, but you can scale the ingredients down if need be. We brown bag it for lunches, and the leftovers do ok heated up the next day (I don't know how well it freezes, though).

1 tablespoon olive oil
    3-4 Zucchini, sliced
    4-6 Roma tomatoes, chopped (in a pinch for time? Use a can of diced tomatoes)
    1/4 cup salsa
    4-6 tilapia fillets

In a large skillet, begin sautéing the zucchini in olive oil. Add the tomatoes after a couple of minutes, when the zucchini begin to get tender, add the salsa. Stir, then place the tilapia fillets on top of the tomato and zucchini mixture. Cover, letting the steam from the vegetables cook the fish, 7-10 minutes depending on how thick the pieces of fish are. We serve this over spaghetti squash, but I think it would work well with brown rice, too.

• amandajoy21
    Options
    Ill have to try that. It sounds good. Although I'm not really a fan of tomatoes.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ is always my go to recipe blog. She's fantastic.
  • amandajoy21
    Options
    Ill check it out. Thanks
  • GuruBoy
    GuruBoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just thought of this yesterday...the farmer's markets here have vendors serving very tasty foods...my plan is to pick up a couple of plates, portion them out into thirds, then have each portion as entree and fill up with fresh veggies like celery, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc...this way, I get to eat really delicious foods everyday but with portion control in mind and still be full every meal and get all the nutrition from the fresh veggies...what do u think about this?
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    Ill have to try that. It sounds good. Although I'm not really a fan of tomatoes.

Is it the taste or the texture of tomatoes you do not care for? Because I wonder if using tomato sauce rather than diced tomatoes might be more palatable for you. Then too, you might try maybe substituting some other vegetable such as spinach, then sautéing the spinach and zucchini with a nice splash of balsamic vinegar or even lemon juice. Tilapia does really well with a lemon and butter sauce....
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    I'm making myself hungry here, thinking about the tilapia and lemon...
  • amandajoy21
    Options
    Lol its more so the tomato texture and kind of the taste. I can tolerate tomatoe sauce though
  • nsocialwork
    nsocialwork Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wind Sparrow that tilapia dish sounds delish! Will be trying. :)
  • WindSparrow
    Options
    GuruBoy wrote: »
    Just thought of this yesterday...the farmer's markets here have vendors serving very tasty foods...my plan is to pick up a couple of plates, portion them out into thirds, then have each portion as entree and fill up with fresh veggies like celery, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc...this way, I get to eat really delicious foods everyday but with portion control in mind and still be full every meal and get all the nutrition from the fresh veggies...what do u think about this?

Oh, fantastic idea! The farmers' market here has people specializing in things like bread - my goodness, the woman mills her own whole grain flour so talk about fresh bread! - and sausage, and honey, but no one is putting meals together. And there is someone who does a bunch of different cookies, including at least four varieties made with Splenda. Maybe it's because in this small town, the market is within two blocks of the deli, and the Italian restaurant, and the two good Mexican places, and the fancy cheese place that has an upscale bar & grill.

But you know what? I want to hold on to your idea and wait for the "international festival".... I could buy so many different types of meals and put 'em up in the freezer in single portions.