Does it get easier?

Options
I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and having all kinds of issues (mainly hormonal I'm sure). Last night I had an epiphany and decided to completely change my lifestyle. Today is day number one of clean eating. Does it get any easier? I have wanted to cheat so many times but have kept myself on track today. I'm not really counting calories or starving myself, just eating healthy food. No candy, chips, bread, or anything processed. For once I plan on not falling off the wagon, but I am worried that I will always feel like I am depriving myself. Will my mentality change?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Probably not, and that's why 'clean' eating, whatever that means, usually doesn't work long term.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think the mentality depends on how you've been eating for the last few years. Were you a junk food eater? Chips, processes food etc.? If so, maybe try to reduce or mostly eliminate a few items like anything fried or deli meats. When that gets easy, your list can grow. But going cold turkey on a long list of food items is going to be tough and I don't know if it's beneficial. CAndy every day probably isnt necessary but if you love gummy bears, you should have a few as a treat every now and then. I think you are being too hard on yourself right now.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Also the fact that you are struggling one day in should tell you that you're being too tough on yourself.
  • briters89
    briters89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I want my body to be healthy. I'm always sick (colds) and I have a friend who sees a nutritionist who helped her best cancer... no chemo, or radiation. Just very healthy, beneficial foods. I'm a major hypochondriac, and have high cholesterol. At 27. I'm worried that just small changes won't be good enough. I've had a sore lymph node (under my chin) for 5 weeks and I've talked myself into it being cancerous. I'm freaking the heck out. Sorry, went off on a tangent. Lol
  • briters89
    briters89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I want my body to be healthy. I'm always sick (colds) and I have a friend who sees a nutritionist who helped her best cancer... no chemo, or radiation. Just very healthy, beneficial foods. I'm a major hypochondriac, and have high cholesterol. At 27. I'm worried that just small changes won't be good enough. I've had a sore lymph node (under my chin) for 5 weeks and I've talked myself into it being cancerous. I'm freaking the heck out. Sorry, went off on a tangent. Lol
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If your friend was advised by a nutritionist, her plan must have been very carefully specifically made. You should try seeing a nutritionist too, in that case. But you can't just give up all the things you like. It will cause frustration and binge eating. Get a scale, start weighing your foods and logging in everything. Maintain a calorie deficit and with that if you eat healthy, you will feel full, your pregnancy wont suffer and you will see results.
    When you know how many calories you have consumed, you will know if you can make space for a treat or something junk or if on some day youre going over, you know you cant give in to your temptations.
    I check my weight once a week so sometimes I carry my deficits or surpluses to another day so that in the whole week, I'm having a total 3500 calorie deficit (to lose a pound a week). My initial success has been more than that though. Probably water weight lost.
    You can't just change everything suddenly and then hope to see results quick.
    You have to be patient and be able to balance everything.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try taking small steps and see how it goes, one day at a time.