How to handle holiday eating

Options
Seanb_us
Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
For us in the U.S., we have a long weekend featuring beer and barbecues coming up. (And, as it happens, my gym has very shortened hours all weekend.)

In general, thoughts on handling this food-wise. Can't afford to blow it.

Sean

Replies

• Seanb_us
    Options
    Maybe if I undereat for a couple of days first ... and then make very sure I don't go overboard ...?
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How about exercising? It doesn't have to be in the gym. You can play badminton in the yard during barbecue.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it is impossible to 'blow it' in one meal or even one day. Enjoy yourself and then get back to task. It is not what you eat 10% of the time that makes you successful, it is what you eat the other 90% of the time. So enjoy the barbeque, enjoy the time with friends and family. Maybe no beer as alcohol can derail you for a bit, but if you are willing to accept the slow down than you could even have a beer or two.
  • outwiththeoldinwiththenew
    Options
    I definately wouldn't suggest under eating. From experience this only leads to binging and then you will feel awful. Just try to watch calories and cut out certian "empty calories" like buns, beer, mayo salads. And I agree with the above post about exercising. That will give you a little room to work with if you go over. Just tryi to walk, run, swim, play a sport. Good luck, we are all in the same boat in the U.S. this weekend.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The first step is you. The second step is portion control. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean you have to over-eat or over-drink. Temptations can be hard but you need to overcome them. Otherwise, you're setting yourself for failure. Undereating a couple of days prior will only leave you hungrier than before. Try exercising more. Drink plenty of water. Cut back on alcohol. Slowly drink the beers if you must. If you insist on over-indulging, utilize a cheat day and hit the gym twice as hard the following week.
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    Like the PP said, it's more about portion control than what you're actually eating. Instead of constantly munching, or having plates and plates full of food, have ONE plate. One beer. You can indulge without going overboard.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a friend's house on Monday for a bbq and here is what I'm doing:

- work out extra hard that day
    - take my own food
    - eat beforehand
    - eat ONE and only ONE treat, ONE serving, no more
    - ONE beer only
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm a weekend calorie saver :) It's worked for me so far!
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    I'm a weekend calorie saver :) It's worked for me so far!

Whassat?
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see this til just now. Well, I skimp on my calories all week, then make them up over the weekend, by either drinking or eatin. I've been doing this since January and have lost 34 lbs so far. I'm sure I'll have a ton of people say how bad that is, but like I said, it's worked for me.