Does anyone NOT sweat?

Options
I've never really been much of a sweater. I glisten more than anything but is that normal?
I think I work out pretty hard yet I never sweat like other people do and I drink a lot of water.
Am I doing this wrong? Why can't I be drenched in sweat like everyone else?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My wife never sweats - unlike me.
    We played a game of squash and I was fit and a fairly advanced player and she was an unfit beginner so really I was walking around the middle of the court and she was running round the outside like a maniac.
    I know, mean!! :blush:
    I walked off court sweating but no real exertion on my part and she walked off puffing hard with slightly flushed cheeks but not a hint of sweat.

I can sweat heavily whether fit or not, heat is a far bigger factor than exercise for me. I cycle long distance so have to work out my hydration needs, cold weather and really high exertion results in a modest need for fluids, hot weather means my hydration needs sky-rocket, it's a PITA.

So unlikely you are doing anything wrong - it's just the way you are, normal for you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the fitter you are the more you sweat. But I guess some people are just not sweaty. I only have to look at my kit and I'm sweating! When I was dancing I used to apologise profusely to anyone with the misfortune of having to touch me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I've never really been much of a sweater. I glisten more than anything but is that normal?
    I think I work out pretty hard yet I never sweat like other people do and I drink a lot of water.
    Am I doing this wrong? Why can't I be drenched in sweat like everyone else?
    Main reason why people who don't sweat, don't really sweat. When body temperature is raised enough to create it, you'll sweat.
    Lot's of people believe they work out hard................till they workout with someone who's much fitter than they are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I try not to do anything that will cause sweating, because I find it uncomfortable
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to sweat much at all. I'd be very red and shaking and almost no sweat.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Can't help you here with experience. I'm a heavy, salty sweater. Halfway through my run this morning the sweat was dripping down into my eyes and burning.

Maybe you aren't working out as hard as you think you ar. have you checked your pulse mid-exercise?
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wish I would glisten like these fabled gym fairies.

I sweat like a monster. I can't stand to wear full length workout leggings when I'm doing my active gym classes as I overheat from the exertion. Capris are my best friend.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweater either, I'm the red in the face an occasionally i'll have the sweaty back crack but nothing like some that it just drips off, I always thought it was weird, sometimes i think i'd feel better if I could sweat heavy.
  • Savannahmiamaddie
    Savannahmiamaddie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I've had a good workout if I'm not drenched with sweat. I don't know if that's wrong or right. Any thoughts on that?
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I've had a good workout if I'm not drenched with sweat. I don't know if that's wrong or right. Any thoughts on that?

I either have never had a good workout or it's PHYSICALLY impossible to sweat like that for me.
  • StaceyJane1126
    StaceyJane1126 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm in mid work out my pulse rate is about 160-165. My face is burning red and I get shaky too. I work out for a couple hours everyday and when I am working out I don't stop to rest.

Maybe I should be working out more often and longer..
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I am not "fit" at least from a cardiovascular point of view and I sweat just looking at the weights…lol
    Comment from one of the guys I know that lifts at the same time "we can track where Eric's been just by the sweat drops on the floor". Not kidding. Wish I didn't sweat as much as I do. I chalk it up to my Scandinavian heritage.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm in mid work out my pulse rate is about 160-165. My face is burning red and I get shaky too. I work out for a couple hours everyday and when I am working out I don't stop to rest.

Maybe I should be working out more often and longer..

For the most part, I just glisten too. Then, I'll reach this threshold and sweat will just start pouring off of me. Its disgusting. Happens whenever I do high intensity stuff, intervals or complexes. If I had to equate it to a HR, I'd say around 165 and up, though it totally depends on ambient temperature or whether I've had caffeine. I'd guess work out harder rather than more often if you want to join the ranks of the drenched.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    http://www.popsugar.co.uk/fitness/Why-Some-People-Sweat-More-Than-Others-41187800

Sweating is the body's way of cooling itself off and maintaining a healthy temperature. You're born with between two and four million sweat glands. Women have more sweat glands than men, but men's glands are more active. How much you sweat depends on your gender, the number of sweat glands you have (more glands equal more sweat), how hot it is, how intensely you're exercising, or how anxious you feel.

The amount a person sweats also depends on how many sweat glands are activated and how much sweat is excreted from each gland. It turns out that fit men sweat significantly more than fit women. The same amount of sweat glands might be activated, but women produce less sweat from each gland. Fit people sweat more efficiently by sweating sooner during workouts, when their body temperature is lower. However, a sedentary person working at the same intensity will heat up a lot faster and possibly sweat more. Also, overweight people sweat more profusely than normal-weight individuals because fat acts as an insulator that raises core temperature.

Some things are in your control when it comes to sweating. If you're a coffee drinker, caffeine can increase perspiration, so if you're concerned, try cutting out that cup of coffee. Drinking alcohol can have the same effect, so limit the cocktails. Smokers may also sweat more since nicotine can affect your hormones, skin, and brain. Wearing synthetic fabrics that trap in heat will make you feel more hot, making you more sweaty, so go for more breathable fabrics.

Unfortunately, some people suffer from excessive sweating, a common condition called hyperhidrosis. Their bodies' faucets turn on and their palms, feet, back, and face become covered in sweat, even if it's cold out or they're not moving. If this sounds familiar, consult your doctor to see what treatment options are available.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't. I sweat like a dog.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I am a disgusting mess when I sweat. I hate it and try to avoid it by wearing less clothes.
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't really sweat from heat, I just get overheated and pass out, get a migraine, or puke. However, when I work out, I sweat like a pig.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Conditions like dysautonomia can cause people to under or oversweat due to a lack of a functional autonomic nervous system...your body's homeostasis mechanisms do not respond correctly. Certain meds can cause oligohydrosis (inability to sweat, death from overheating is possible) such as topiramate (TOPAMAX).
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I only started sweating after I got into cardio, as in started doing cardio on a regular basis. I feel like my body wasn't used to needing to cool itself so I didn't sweat. Once I got into running though, I started sweating a lot more. I'm not a sweaty person but I have noticed a difference.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy when I go running or do some other form of heavy cardio. I also live in Central Texas - every time I walk outside in the summer it's like turning on a gross sweaty faucet.