To add or not to add exercise calories

Options
do you add In your exercise calories to your daily calorie allowance or not? My daily allowance is 1602 cals
I work out up to 5 times a a week and I add my calories to my allowance. I never consume them all but I do dip into my exercise cals and I'm wondering if that is why my weight loss is so slow

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    MFP is based on the NEAT formula, in which you do eat exercise calories back. How many of them is trial and error. I can typically manage to eat about 75% of mine and still lose. Some folks find that they can only eat half. Tweak the numbers as needed, but yes, you should be eating at least a portion of them back to fuel your body.
  • louhogg1
    louhogg1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I eat some of mine back, you need to refuel etc post workout. X
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, you're doing it right. If your weight loss is slower than expected, there are two places to look:
    1. How long has it been? Sometimes for the first month, your weight loss rate can be wonky. Some people lose really fast then drop off, others it seems like their bodies take a few weeks to catch up
    2. Double check your logging. Are you using a food scale as often as possible for everything, even packaged foods? Are you using accurate entries in the database (there are a lot of bad user-entered entries)? Are you logging everything, everyday?

Keep at it, and good luck!
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, you're doing it right. If your weight loss is slower than expected, there are two places to look:
    1. How long has it been? Sometimes for the first month, your weight loss rate can be wonky. Some people lose really fast then drop off, others it seems like their bodies take a few weeks to catch up
    2. Double check your logging. Are you using a food scale as often as possible for everything, even packaged foods? Are you using accurate entries in the database (there are a lot of bad user-entered entries)? Are you logging everything, everyday?

Keep at it, and good luck!

Hi Kimny72, until yesterday I had not been weighing as often as I should be, not logging everyday and also using measurements in the database which as you say may not be accurate.
    I have asked the same question elsewhere and a Fitness Trainer & Sports Nutritionist advised not to eat the calories - so many mixed opinions. I think I am going to take into consideration the pointers/advise that you, vespiquenn, & louhogg1 and continue to consume some of my exercise calories but also daily measuring/logging and see how that pans out. Thank you all
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I typically eat about about 65% of the calories burned.
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do not log my workout. I do T25 (30 min), but I never eat exercise calories back unless I'm very hungy.

I do this because I do not use a food scale. I do measure carefully, but there's a good chance I'm not as accurate as I would be actually weighing my food.

Seems to be working out. My loss is consistently 1lb/week, which is my goal. I will be purchasing a scale soon, and at that point, I will eat back probably 50%.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    yes, thats why your weight loss is so slow.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your weight loss is slow it's most likely because you have a small calorie deficit - whether that is because your food logging, exercise logging or activity setting are inaccurate isn't possible for anyone to know. Especially as your diary is locked.

Singling out exercise calories is missing the point entirely. Calorie balance determines weight loss.
    Remember a little bit of inaccuracy on a big number (food intake) is more significant than a lot of inaccuracy on a small number (exercise).

Did you clearly describe the unusual MFP eat back exercise calories method (NEAT goal + exercise calories) to your "Fitness Trainer & Sports Nutritionist"?
    Because typically they work with the TDEE method where the goal already includes exercise calories.

If you do a significant amount of exercise it's clear you should be accounting for exercise using one method or the other. Deliberately introducing inaccuracy by ignoring a significant part of your energy needs doesn't seem to make any sense to me when you are calorie counting.

Worth a read.....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • debsfran
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If your weight loss is slow it's most likely because you have a small calorie deficit - whether that is because your food logging, exercise logging or activity setting are inaccurate isn't possible for anyone to know. Especially as your diary is locked.

Singling out exercise calories is missing the point entirely. Calorie balance determines weight loss.
    Remember a little bit of inaccuracy on a big number (food intake) is more significant than a lot of inaccuracy on a small number (exercise).

Did you clearly describe the unusual MFP eat back exercise calories method (NEAT goal + exercise calories) to your "Fitness Trainer & Sports Nutritionist"?
    Because typically they work with the TDEE method where the goal already includes exercise calories.

If you do a significant amount of exercise it's clear you should be accounting for exercise using one method or the other. Deliberately introducing inaccuracy by ignoring a significant part of your energy needs doesn't seem to make any sense to me when you are calorie counting.

Worth a read.....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I wasn's sure of what you meant above, but I followed your link and it was much clearer - going by what it states "If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories" as I used IIFYM to determine my macros etc, I should not be eating back my calories, right?
  • kimny72
    Options
    Debsjeav wrote: »

Worth a read.....

I wasn's sure of what you meant above, but I followed your link and it was much clearer - going by what it states "If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories" as I used IIFYM to determine my macros etc, I should not be eating back my calories, right?

If everything works correctly, MFP + exercise calories should be about the same to TDEE - the correct % weight loss. So either use MFP goal and eat back portion of exercise cals, or use a TDEE calculator weight loss goal and don't eat back exercise cals.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I will 'weigh' in here with what is just my experience and opinion and what works for me.

I have pretty much always worked out 5 days a week. 45mins treadmill & 30 mins weights. What got out of control was my eating. My weight crept up and up and I told myself I was exercising, so I must be OK. One day I realised I was nearly 200lbs! OMG! I had been eating good food, but WAY too much of it, and quite a bit of bad food like cakes and chocolate too.

The last 5 months I have eaten at 1200 or less (normally less, and I KNOW many of you will hate that!). I still exercise 45mins treadmill & 30 mins weights 5 days a week. I have steadily lost approx 2lbs a week and I am 50lbs down after 5 months.

I have never had a day where I felt hungry, dizzy, faint, etc. I have tons of energy and feel amazing.

My opinion (and that of my Trainer), if you are making the effort to exercise, unless you are doing high intensity exercise for long periods or training for a marathon or something, DON'T eat the calories back. You are just negating your hard work.

That said, that isn't going to work for everyone, so please don't jump down my throat :-)
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of mine back and a lot of times, I try not to eat any back. But... I will eat some back if I feel hungry, which is naturally going to happen, especially if you're doing big workouts. For example, on days when I jog 5+ miles, I typically end up burning anywhere from 600-800+ calories. Naturally, my body is going to feel more hungry because I've burned so calories, so I'm going to need to refuel, somewhat, which means eating back, some.

Like others have mentioned, it's different for everyone, so a little trial and error and you'll figure it out. There's a lot of people who workout, specifically, so they can eat more and it works great for them! Your mileage may vary.
  • kimny72
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I will 'weigh' in here with what is just my experience and opinion and what works for me.

I have pretty much always worked out 5 days a week. 45mins treadmill & 30 mins weights. What got out of control was my eating. My weight crept up and up and I told myself I was exercising, so I must be OK. One day I realised I was nearly 200lbs! OMG! I had been eating good food, but WAY too much of it, and quite a bit of bad food like cakes and chocolate too.

The last 5 months I have eaten at 1200 or less (normally less, and I KNOW many of you will hate that!). I still exercise 45mins treadmill & 30 mins weights 5 days a week. I have steadily lost approx 2lbs a week and I am 50lbs down after 5 months.

I have never had a day where I felt hungry, dizzy, faint, etc. I have tons of energy and feel amazing.

My opinion (and that of my Trainer), if you are making the effort to exercise, unless you are doing high intensity exercise for long periods or training for a marathon or something, DON'T eat the calories back. You are just negating your hard work.

That said, that isn't going to work for everyone, so please don't jump down my throat :-)

As far as the bolded, MFP already figures your deficit into your original calorie goal. It assumes you are not doing any exercise. If you don't eat your exercise calories back, you are undereating. That is how MFP works.

If your trainer gives you a specific number of calories and has taken your exercise into consideration while doing that, then sure don't eat them back. But that's with your trainer, NOT MFP.

I'm not even going to respond to the number of calories you are eating, because for most people that would be incredibly unhealthy.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm not even going to respond to the number of calories you are eating, because for most people that would be incredibly unhealthy.

And yet my hair, skin and nails are better than they have been in 20 years. My blood pressure is within the normal range. My chronic menstrual problems have abated and I am experiencing normal cycles. My friends and family say I look 10 years younger. Best of all, my Doctor, who I saw only as a followup for the menstrual issues, asked me what I was doing as she noticed the positive change in me!

I was not suggesting anyone do the same as me, simply sharing my own personal experience.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Worth a read.....

Correct!

You used a site that asks you your typical exercise and credits you a daily average of those exercise calories.

When you set your goal on MFP you will notice that it doesn't credit you with any exercise calories. That's why you log them and should eat them back.

Say you do 1400 calories of exercise a week, two sessions of 500 and one of 400.

From a TDEE calculator you might eat 1700 cals daily = 11,900 a week.
    On MFP you would get different calorie amounts of 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 2000, 2000, 1900 = 11,900 a week.
    Different methods that end up in the same place.

So back to your original question, by setting your TDEE goal (including exercise) and then eating back exercise calories on the day as well - yes you are double dipping.

Often people doing this TDEE method just log their exercise here as 1 calorie so it doesn't mess with the daily goal.

• kimny72
    Options

And yet my hair, skin and nails are better than they have been in 20 years. My blood pressure is within the normal range. My chronic menstrual problems have abated and I am experiencing normal cycles. My friends and family say I look 10 years younger. Best of all, my Doctor, who I saw only as a followup for the menstrual issues, asked me what I was doing as she noticed the positive change in me!

I was not suggesting anyone do the same as me, simply sharing my own personal experience.

That's great! Not knowing your stats, I have no opinion on the calories you personally are eating. But a lot of newbies read these boards and will see one post saying the best thing to do is eat a very small number of calories and they ignore everything else and eat way less than they should. A pretty small percentage of people would be healthy on that number of calories, so I just wanted to make that clear. :drinker:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that the people who are against eating back their exercise calories will change their mindset once they are in maintenance, and no longer have any weight to lose??
  • debsfran
    Options

Worth a read.....

Correct!

You used a site that asks you your typical exercise and credits you a daily average of those exercise calories.

When you set your goal on MFP you will notice that it doesn't credit you with any exercise calories. That's why you log them and should eat them back.

Say you do 1400 calories of exercise a week, two sessions of 500 and one of 400.

From a TDEE calculator you might eat 1700 cals daily = 11,900 a week.
    On MFP you would get different calorie amounts of 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 2000, 2000, 1900 = 11,900 a week.
    Different methods that end up in the same place.

So back to your original question, by setting your TDEE goal (including exercise) and then eating back exercise calories on the day as well - yes you are double dipping.

Often people doing this TDEE method just log their exercise here as 1 calorie so it doesn't mess with the daily goal.

Thanks.

My garmin auto syncs with MFP. I will now disconnect it so it doesn't,