What is a good protein shake to drink for breakfast?

Options
I have tried the powder stuff and can't handle the gritty texture. Need some suggestions.

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    I don't use this for breakfast, but you could try it for a.m. Allmax brand Decadent Chocolate Milkshake. I make it with added 10gm of hershey baking cocoa to really kick up the chocolate flavor, splenda, milk, ice cubes. Blend it all up smooth. I find if you make protein drinks with water, they tend to do have the gritty flavor.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    EAS Lean 15 has not been gritty to me. I use an immersion blender to blend it completely then drink over ice.
  • xlgman
    xlgman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light and Fit Protein Smoothie. 120 calories, 0 fat, 18g carb, 12g protein. Comes in strawberry, mixed berry, salted caramel. Pre-made in single serve 9.5 fl. oz containers (refrigerated). You could drink it by itself or blend it with some fresh fruit, milk, almond milk, etc. if it's not enough by itself.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    EAS Lean 15 has not been gritty to me. I use an immersion blender to blend it completely then drink over ice.

I use the EAS lean 15 too. Just a heads up, look on EAS website, they discontinued it! They are replacing it with the advantage I think, which has 0 fiber in it. Thankfully I just bought a couple bags at BJs.
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Which powder are you using? Using MyProtein, even with a shaker (and I usually use the nutribullet) I don't get the grainy problem. I've started using their unflavoured and then blending in some strawberries or raspberries for flavour.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Premeir protein shakes. Very creamy. :) I like to add those and fruit to a blender
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You need a mini blender.
    I have one from Walmart for $14.
    I make my shakes with milk to add a bit of protein, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin d.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake first thing in the morning and last thing at night and my shake of choice is a Micellar Casien shake, it's slow digesting so gets all those lovely amino acids drip feeding into your system for hours.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I quit protein shakes a couple of years back (just no need), but my go to was Carnivor. It was the only beef derived protein shake at the time, though there may be more these days. Stuff foams like hell though, so be prepared to let it sit for a few after hitting it in a blender bottle.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have found Quest and Optimum Nutrition are not gritty, especially if you toss them in the blender or mix them up the night before.

My favorite way to add protein powder/protein shakes to my breakfast is in iced coffee. I toss a cup of iced coffee in the blender with a scoop of protein, a handful of ice cubes, and a few tablespoons of creamer. It is extra tasty if you use chocolate powder! It's not usually my whole breakfast (the shake clocks in at around 140-180 calories depending on powder and creamers), but I pair it with cottage cheese or hard boiled eggs.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk would be my recommendation, as it's more nutrient dense. You can buy it in single serve bottles.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I can't just do powder normally, but coffee + chocolate protein powder + cocoa powder + splenda in a bullet blender or some other personal blender is actually pretty great. Spoons and shaking just leave too many clumps.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Muscle Milk would be my recommendation, as it's more nutrient dense. You can buy it in single serve bottles.

Just make sure it fits what you're looking for, and keep in mind that Labdoor gives muscle milk premade bottles an "F" in their protein rankings: https://labdoor.com/review/muscle-milk-rtd Some of it is because they don't like the ingredient list, and some of it is that they feel there's not as much protein as it promises, as well as how pricey they can be.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It still sounds like a dreadful breakfast :s
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie. I'm sorry, but a plain shake is gross no matter how fancy of shake you buy it's plain. So I add fruit, ice, and juice and some flaxmeal. My favorite powder is sunwarrior in natural.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tried one of my 100 calorie lite chocolate Muscle Milks with oatmeal and chia seeds today (and ice). It came out great. Good amount of protein and not too high in calories (well the oatmeal added a lot of calories)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are good. A little pricey though unless you can get them at Costco
  • gonfishin35
    gonfishin35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Premier shakes are really good. 30 grams of protein and not many calories. I like the chocolate the best.